gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Hi,
I've just reinstalled my windows on two 320Gb.
I used RAID 1 for Read performance, and HD failure...

And I don't feel any change... maybe maybe a small one...
I know that I did it all right, and I can see the RAID from Intel's software...

What can I do to see that what I currently have is working in it's best?

Thanks

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hi Gil,
It's been my experience that RAID 1 doesn't offer significant speed increases; it's more designed for data integrity. If you're looking for more speed (and more capacity) then you should use RAID 0. Keep in mind that RAID 0 does increase your chances of data loss, but I can say from personal experience, it is way faster than just one drive, even in software RAID. It is way faster any time there is seqential reads, such as loading a level on a game, or Windows file-swapping.

Hope this helps!

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I installed a RAID 0 array on my new gaming machine, and did in fact notice an improvement on disk access speed. However, one thing that baffled me was that in order to install the state of the art storage solution, I had to have a floppy drive!?? Not wanting an obsolete storage drive on my computer, I scavenged one from a friend, installed the RAID drivers, and then removed the floppy. For some reason, my RAID array tended to confuse some of my utility programs (like System Mechanic) which were always giving strange messages about the drive needing repairs, run chkdsk etc. No problem, the minor annoyance was outweighed by the speed of the array. Then, the inevitable dll file corruption occurred after 6 months of intense use. No Problem, I'll just reinstall the corrupt file.... wait.... there are NO DISK DRIVES INSTALLED ON MY COMPUTER!!!! I could not reinstall the corrupt file, could not repair windows, and could not even reinstall Windows!!?? Why? because I did not have a FLOPPY FRIGGIN DRIVE TO REINSTALL THE RAID DRIVERS!!!??? I had to format both drives, lose everything (I am smart and have backups) and spend a whole weekend recovering my computer, just because I did not have a FLOPPY DRIVE!?? So, now I have two normal drives (no more RAID for me) that can be repaired easily without using a floppy drive. The drop in performance is so slight, it is hardly noticeable. I would rather spend the occasional millisecond, than waste a whole weekend. Ironic ,no?

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
However, one thing that baffled me was that in order to install the state of the art storage solution, I had to have a floppy drive!??

you = moron

RAID is not state of the art. and like omg you had to have a floppy to install the drivers for xp durring the install omg its the end of the world.

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
No, opening my computer case, installing a useless floppy drive temporarily so I can install RAID drivers, and then removing the useless floppy, that I will NEVER use again, is NOT the end of the world. Just a useless annoyance that is not justified by the teensy improvement in performance. I have better things to do.

You, however, apparently have nothing better to do than flame someone you don't even know, because they expressed an opinion.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
You can make a customized Windows installation CD with nLite, and integrate the RAID drivers at the time the CD is made. This avoids the need to use a floppy drive when installing Windows.

TRENDING THREADS