silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi

I am having an issue with user accounts. I basically was given the newly built pc with an administrator account so I thought I would create another however it forced me to create another administrator account.

Now at the startup screen my own administrator account doesnt seem to be there and only the new admin account I created is there. I have to login in as that admin then change fast switching to off and log-on as administrator..

It will not allow me to delete the admin account I created. Is there anyway I can somehow disable it under the administrator account that I use?

Under user accounts from control panle It will not give me an option to delete it..

rgrds
SL

The account "Administrator" is a built-in account that is usually not normally accessible if you're logging in using the Welcome screen. This means you have to create one additional account with which to log in. Since this is the primary account, it cannot be removed.

Unless you're logging into a domain, logging in as Administrator is unnecessary. You can just log in with the account you created and you will have full administrator priviledges on that computer.

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
thanks but when I first got the PC the actual administraor account I use was the one on the welcome screen and I used to logon with it...until that is I createad the other admin account. For a short while I got both on the welcome screen then the next day 'administrator' disappeared and only the one I created remains.

The problem is I installed stuff, made changes setup email etc under the administaror account and the new admin account has none of my settings and I really cannot go to the trouble of doing it all again..

Does it mean I am stuck with having to do what I currently do? There is no direct method of deleting ?

You can import the settings from one account to the other. Everything will be stored in Documents and Settings.

I take it that when you're trying to delete this other account that you are logged into the Administrator account?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
administrator account cannot be deleted, it can only be renamed and disabled

use the bloody classic logon man, then you can get to any account, usually the box only has the administrator account, but when you create another account, the administrator account will be hidden from the welcome screen logon for security purposes

it's not recommended that you use the administrator account, it's for recovery purposes mainly and a last resort login, you should always use another account as your primary and also have a backdoor administrator account

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Yeah , I discovered the classic logon and it is much easier but if you are saying I shouldnt be using the administartor account generally then I will see if I can figure a way to import all settings into the admin account I created..

thanks.

SL

silentlucidity

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Actually if anyone knows a way I could copy all teh administraor settings including programs I have installed under the account into the new admin account I would apprecaite it.

rgrds
Sl

charuta

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
You can import the settings from one account to the other. Everything will be stored in Documents and Settings.

I am facing exactly the same problem. pls tell me how can i import the settings from one account to another.

charuta

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Actually if anyone knows a way I could copy all teh administraor settings including programs I have installed under the account into the new admin account I would apprecaite it.
i have the same prob. did u find out a way to import settings? if yes, pls let me know.

The Files and Settings Wizard comes to mind... I believe there is also a way to copy a profile to another profile within the profile manager. I have never had to do it myself, so I'm unsure as to what the process entails.

ezekiel69

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
I have recently installed xp 64-bit and after going through the process of getting everything setup the last thing I did was make an admin account with my name and found all the same problems.

I have however managed to find a way to fix this issue.

1. Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy.

Local Policies>Security Options.

Right click. Accounts: Rename administrator account. and click properties
Rename the Administrator account to something else.

2. Make sure you are using the classic login and log out then log in with the new administrator name.

You can then go into User Accounts and delete your created admin account. You can then also use the above way to change the default administrator account to whatever you want.

NOTE: If you skip the first step and just Log in as Administrator under the classic logon. Then you should be able to delete your created administrator account in User Accounts without changing the default Administrator. I didn't do this myself so just to be sure I put down the steps I took.

Now I have the welcome screen with my name and all my old settings

try that out