Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8800 GTS or 8600 ultra SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 17, 2007 10:54:29 AM

Guy i have managed some money to upgrade my graphics card from 6600 gt to next gen cards. but I m confused that should i wait for 8600 ultra to arrive so that i can hit SLI of that two, or Should i hit 8800 gts.

If u have any idea of 8600 ultra SLI performance over 8800 gts please suggest.
your suggestions are welcome.
April 17, 2007 11:04:28 AM

please answer
April 17, 2007 11:25:23 AM

Personally I think buying lower in a range to do multi-gpu never makes since. Performance scaling is rarely 100%, drivers have issues, case management is harder and cost is probably greater.

If you already have the top card and run a big display then by all means add another card.
Related resources
April 17, 2007 12:11:10 PM

Quote:
Personally I think buying lower in a range to do multi-gpu never makes since. Performance scaling is rarely 100%, drivers have issues, case management is harder and cost is probably greater.

If you already have the top card and run a big display then by all means add another card.


I dont want directx9 upgrade i want directx 10 upgrade
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2007 12:50:36 PM

if its anything like the 6 and 7 series, two low end cards arnt as good one one high end card
April 17, 2007 12:57:23 PM

You cap yourself out immediately if you buy 2 8600 for SLI. Buy a single 8800 then you have the possibility to SLI that in the future.
April 17, 2007 1:31:39 PM

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/664-1/nvidia-geforce-86...

some benchs from a french web site about 8600GTS... and 8600GTS-SLI.

8600GTS in SLI is not worth it. a single 8800 gts 320 will blown away the 8600GTS in SLI...

And in some case a single 8600GTS is equal or better than a pair of 8600GTS in SLI.
April 17, 2007 1:59:21 PM

if sli performs similar to how it has in the past then go ahead and get an 8800gts, even the smaller 320mb version will serve you well vs. an sli configuration. I personally don't see why people go for sli because it doesnt get you the gains you spend your money on. In some cases you don't see any gains at all. To top that off you still have cpu bottlenecks and its just way too messed up right now. Nvidia needs to improve the performance gains from sli before i even think about using it.


Oh btw i dont think there is an 8600 ultra coming out, only the 8600gts and gt which should be out today.


Good luck, i hope you find a configuration that works best for you!
April 17, 2007 6:18:05 PM

Quote:
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/664-1/nvidia-geforce-86...

some benchs from a french web site about 8600GTS... and 8600GTS-SLI.

8600GTS in SLI is not worth it. a single 8800 gts 320 will blown away the 8600GTS in SLI...

And in some case a single 8600GTS is equal or better than a pair of 8600GTS in SLI.


This is nice suggestion
April 17, 2007 6:49:08 PM

Get the 8800. It will destroy the 8600's. Seriously. 8)
April 17, 2007 10:04:09 PM

Quote:
Get the 8800. It will destroy the 8600's. Seriously. 8)


Word.
Anonymous
April 17, 2007 11:01:38 PM

there is no 8600 ultra. the highest model in 8600 series is 8600GTS. even 8600GTS SLI will be slower then a single 8800 GTS or nearly equal too. 8800GTS. and two 8600GTS in SLI will be more expensive then single 8800GTS 320MB. i have evga 8800GTS 320 mb superclocked and it rocks man. just go with 8800 series card depends on your budget and you will love it
April 17, 2007 11:13:10 PM

Quote:
there is no 8600 ultra.


Didn't even notice this before......hmmm....

Get the 8800. NOW! :D 
April 17, 2007 11:40:20 PM

Quote:
We won't know much till we see some benchmark information from the 8600. Right now it's too early to be able to answer your question. If you plan to SLI then do it with the 8800. Don't waiste mony on a lesser SLI configuration.

With knowledge of previous cars, 8800GTS is a better choice.

As a rule, never get two low/mid-end card, always go for the best single card you can afford.
April 18, 2007 5:29:06 AM

Finaly i decided for 8800 gts koooooooool card
April 18, 2007 10:13:48 AM

Quote:
Finaly i decided for 8800 gts koooooooool card


Good choice. 1x8800 > 2x8600
April 18, 2007 10:45:14 AM

Quote:
Finaly i decided for 8800 gts koooooooool card

right decision i would say :D 
April 18, 2007 10:51:09 AM

enjoy ur purchase :wink:
April 18, 2007 11:06:13 AM

Quote:
enjoy ur purchase :wink:


Thanks in advance
April 18, 2007 3:19:37 PM

Quote:
enjoy ur purchase :wink:


Thanks in advance

Go for the 320mb instead of the 640mb (Unless you game in silly stupidly high resolutions).
April 18, 2007 6:12:57 PM

I usually play at 1600x1200. Which 1 should i go for.
April 18, 2007 7:16:59 PM

Quote:
I usually play at 1600x1200. Which 1 should i go for.


AFAIK there's no difference at that res, although if i were you i would check out a review over at www.tomshardware.com

Just do a search for "8800GTS 320mb Review" and it should come up with it.
April 19, 2007 6:30:04 AM

Quote:
only silly if you dont have it, 1920 x 1200 rocks!


1680x1050 does me fine. Plus my monitor was only £200 whereas a monitor capable of displaying 1920 x 1200 will be around twice as much for very little actual gain in picture quality.
April 19, 2007 9:03:03 AM

Ok now I will go for 320 mb cause my monitor only supports 1600x1200
April 25, 2007 4:35:03 PM

Quote:
Guy i have managed some money to upgrade my graphics card from 6600 gt to next gen cards. but I m confused that should i wait for 8600 ultra to arrive so that i can hit SLI of that two, or Should i hit 8800 gts.

If u have any idea of 8600 ultra SLI performance over 8800 gts please suggest.
your suggestions are welcome.



I think the rest of the guys are right that there is no 8600 Ultra but i tell you what im doing i thought of putting 8600GTS SLI but then i found out that you can get a 8800GTS 320mb for about 250 to 280 dollars which would be how much one 8600GTS would be im going to run a sli setup with 2 8800GTS 320mb and i might have to get a new power supply because you need at least one really good 700w or just get a bigger one like 850 watt or something like that and the website that has cheap parts is here www.pricewatch.com thats where im getting my 2 cards
Well i hope that helped let me know if you have questions.
April 25, 2007 5:32:39 PM

little late cauz I have bought 8800gts 320 and its working great and i have a slot left that i can use for sli at any time
!