Intel's 4x4 coming

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
It is unknown if Intel will develop a new platform to accommodate dual LGA775 socket processors or rework its LGA771 socket Xeon workstation platform to accommodate unbuffered DDR2 memory.

If it's the latter or anything else that allows me to stick 8GB on a dual socket motherboard without messing with FB-DIMMs, count me in!!!!!!

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6944

Pretty much a server platform rebadge like AMDs offering.

Not really bothered. Predictable though.
It will be good if you can drop in cheap cpus to it.
They'll have to think out their pricing though, heavy multi taskers could buy 2 cheap cpus, over a quad and make a quite a saving. Although with the upcoming price cuts something similar to 2 x Q6600 would be an awesome rig!

Infact this is a great idea if you can drop in cheapish cpus.
4x4 was rubbish because you have to buy the specific cpus, which were the same as every cpu AMD already made anyway.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
INQEL.jpg
Hush up!!The Intel Trusts "The Inquirer" 8O The World is coming to an end as we know it.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Hush up!!The Intel Trusts "The Inquirer" 8O The World is coming to an end as we know it.

Yeah, but can you read what it says? There are QX6800 reviews from Anandtech, Tech Report and HDT, and then over the Inq logo it says, and I quote:

"When you can read authoritative sources like this, why would anyone waste a click on this POS?" :lol:

Notice that THG is conspicuous by its absence, but then again, I've said more than my piece on that, so let's not go off on that particular tangent (said the king of going off on tangents...)

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
With current Xeon DP quad cores starting at ~$350 for the E5310, this platform could be interesting if they ditch the FB-DIMMs and produce a half decent over-clocking chipset.
The E5310 is 1.6 GHz at 1066 FSB so may over-clock pretty well:
2.4 @ 1600 or 2.7 @ 1800.

If Intel really wanted to compete in this segment they should make it a dual Skt775 platform. Make it so you can put everything from a single core Celeron to a Q6700 in there!

If they did it right and made it so it had wide ranging CPU/RAM compatibility, I'd look into making it my next machine!

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
If Intel really wanted to compete in this segment they should make it a dual Skt775 platform. Make it so you can put everything from a single core Celeron to a Q6700 in there!

If they did it right and made it so it had wide ranging CPU/RAM compatibility, I'd look into making it my next machine!

Thats too convenient and practical, and anythings thats convenient and practical is bad for business.

This will be made available after the 45nm shrink or in line with it. Look for it to launch closer to when Intel releases there new CPUs that rock there answer to Hypertransport (HT) (can't remember whats its called), thats when it will be most viable, and of course will let Intel force you into there new CPUs and squeeze every last buck out of you. Thats good business.

But we should all embrace it, because it should bring out dual-socket price wars!!!

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
what a lame name. skull trail?

seriously though the name is gay.
In what way exactly is this name gay? I personally don’t go to gay bars so maybe you could enlighten us as to what the connection is between skulls and gay!

It’s a lame name though; it might go down well with the Dungeons and Dragons crowd if people still play that!

Thats too convenient and practical, and anythings thats convenient and practical is bad for business.

This will be made available after the 45nm shrink or in line with it. Look for it to launch closer to when Intel releases there new CPUs that rock there answer to Hypertransport (HT) (can't remember whats its called), thats when it will be most viable, and of course will let Intel force you into there new CPUs and squeeze every last buck out of you. Thats good business.

But we should all embrace it, because it should bring out dual-socket price wars!!!

Intels' HT equivalent is CSI. Ultimately, CSI vs HT3.0 will be a wash, so no big deal there.

You're right though, Intel will continue to follow the short term maximize profit approach of "new CPU needs a new chipset and needs a new mobo and needs new RAM" formula as they have been, which is one of the reasons why AMD pulled ahead and became the favorite among upgraders and enthusiasts, and which is the exact reason why Intel should make the V-8 platform wide ranging CPU/RAM compatible. But, because Intel likes to force the market into adopting standards, new sockets, and new memory standards, the V-8 platform won't be the monumental success it could be. C'est la vie...

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I didn't read all the responses but did you guys read the thing that said it will be crossfire capable like 975 boards?! Intel can't kill amd...maybe wound them badly...but if people are buying two quadcores they are not going to skimp on the GPU (see 600-750 dollar r600)

SMU_Pony

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Gay bars are lame and skulltrail is gay so the name is lame and gay.

I dunno, it's definitly a better name than Quadfather, or QuadFX... and it gets rid of all the "I could've had a V8!" jokes ;)

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
We have to wait and see what the specs will be.
If they will allow using low-end CPUs, it could be at least worthwhile, but I still say, dual-CPU for desktop of any type is another POS we have thank AMD for.

Tyhr

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I think Intel would be wise to make mainstream dual socket boards.

All of a sudden a significant portion of currently satisfied users would purchase a 2nd CPU. New users would be purchasing 2 instead of 1.

Also when a whole new platform comes out requiring a different socket and different RAM type, there will still be a market to dump all the 775 cpus to, for people looking for an upgrade, but can't afford/justify a whole new computer system just yet.