Radiation debate

PciX2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
hello,
yes there are questions as of wirless standart, best model, prices and such, but it sims that this issue has slipped notice.
we have radiation coming from lots of electronical devices.
screen display, copmuters, televisions, power lines, Cel phones Celphones regonal antena, Pda's and such.
some of those things can cause Cancer and other ilness

does anyone mesure those things also on a wirless lan ? is there any standart to say when it is safe to be around so much radiation all the time ? if we dont see it with our eyes it doesnt meen its not there, how hazardos is it ?
i am not saying wish get panic all of a saden , but we should not be stupid not ask these questions, "as no one told me this stuff could kill."

ps. please egnore spelling errors.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol, I can get into the accident, burn and die, so does that mean I should avoid driving? etc..

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

PciX2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
when u enter your car to drive u are aware to the potential hazards along the way , thats why u need licence , and obay certain rulls in order to drive. u know that there is a chance , as slim as it may be , that somthing can happen.
but when u use wirless lan , no one tells u anything.
there is no way of knowing how much radiation is been spred to the air, how much is abzorbed by the body, and what is considred hazardos or not.

please again escuse my spelling..

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Actually you are wrong, to obtain FCC certification the device must conform to certain standards. In the case of wireless lan the power output of the devices is MUCH lower than that of a mobile phone. In the netgear manual it says you whould not place a part of the body within 5cm of any wireless aerial (antenae(sp)). Now as far as I know the wireless cards produce less radiation than:

Mobile Phones and microwaves. Yes when in my house the microwave is on then the connection drops out. There is a body within each contry who says what can and cant be used. Which is why some countries dont support 802.11a and for example Europe has 13 channels compared to the US's 11 channels for 802.11b/g.

Trust me there is lots of testing going on to make sure these are safe. As far as I know most antennae on the wireless cards are slightly directional, that is why they quote a 2dB gain. Put it this way, the card produces a power output, this is spread in an almost 360 degree circle around the device. Effectifvly meaning you absorb little of the radiation.

Look up the power output of wireless cards, if you are that worried actually ask netgear or linksys for advice. In the back page of the manual there is the usual blurb about this for people like you.

Your question is a worthwhile question IMHO.

Julian

PciX2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
thank you julian for your answer.
now i can sleep at night ( but i will unplug any wirless device around me just in case ;-)

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Well technically turning the power off at your main switch box in your house is a better idea, the current creating a field in your ring main is more likely to do damage.

Honestly, I have worried about it, esp. when my hand is 2" from the card in my laptop. But Hey if you feel safer turning it off at night then it is fine. If it is only you using it then you only need it on when you are using it ;)

np, I was trying to find out the same information as you when I went wireless a while back.

Julian

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
We're all going to end up sick...like the folks in Johnny Pneumonic...I just know it!!!

If an argument can't be settled in one or two paragraphs, perhaps you're anal and should just let it go...

dhlucke

Polypheme
There was a guy worried that his cell phone was going to give him cancer.

It has an explaination on radiation.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1441#1441" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1441#1441</A>

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
802.11 frequencies are pretty low range to be dangerous. I would be more worried about mobile phones and microwaves.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I work with radiation all the time. I'm not talking the panzy crap you're all flustered about. I'm talking 5 Rad sources and nuclear radiation monitoring equipement. In order to understand what are the dangers you gotta look at how cancer is caused by radiation. The lowest spectrum that is considered dangerous is UV. The reason is that the wavelength is short enough to excite hygrogen out of the bonds in your body, especially DNA. All the smaller wavelengths (x-ray, gamma, etc) cause cancer in a similar manner. Carcinoma is considered an uncontrolled growth. When radiation strikes your DNA, there is only a small chance that the cell will become a cancer cell. It most often will just die. But when you consider how many cells are affected the chances of you getting cancer turn pretty high. So as for microwave, the wavelength is much too large to do this same thing.

I'd be more worried about resonant cavitation than cancer. Wearing headphones or using a vibrator (I'm not kidding) can cause bubbles to form inside your body. It's a phenominon that was discovered to be caused by ultrasound used in prenatal care. The science of it is actually pretty interesting and very useful in medicine. Microwave may have some resonant effects, but I have not seen studies on it. For now, I think the worst thing it does is raise temperature in you.

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Igottaknife on 03/22/04 02:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Microwaves use the part of the same frequencies has 802.11. The microwave usually uses the frequencies in the range of channel 8 to 11.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

TRENDING THREADS