Can you help with this Windows Error?

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Every time I start Windows (XP Pro SP2), I get the following error:

Explorer.exe - Apllication Error
The instruction at 0X01245726 refrenced memory at 0X01245726. The memory could not be written.

In a new error box, I then get this:

Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
Name: Windows Explorer
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

I then close the box and my PC runs fine. I only got this message AFTER I disabled Dr.Watson though. While it was enabled, I woul get an error message that the Dr. Watson post mortem debugger has stopped responding and my PC would hang and not respond for about 20min or so.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Did you just turn off Dr Watson?

Try uninstalling it, and run CCleaner to tidy up the registry. Wouldn't hurt to do a virus/spyware scan (although I'm positive it isn't related) and try reinstalling. Could be just a bad/corrupted file.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yea can't uninstall it, but you can make it so it's not your default debugger somewhere in the registry

you can also disable error reporting from the system properties section, but if your explorer is crashing, there's a shell extension or something causing it to go down

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
I ran a virus scan, and found I had a virus. I deleated it, and I only get the Explorer error now. I figure I gotta do a repair install to fix it, but I think no serious damage has been done. I don't know how the virus got by my active anti-virus tho, I guess it's time for some new software.