New build up and running! few issues though

Hey guys I put together my first PC today! And it runs too! I've got a few issues that seem minor but I could really use help on it.

When I boot the PC the gigabyte mobo screen shows for about 3 or so minutes and then starts booting. Is there a way to skip this or make it faster?

I can boot into windows off the CD and run it just fine but when I set the bios to boot from the HDD it tells to it can't find a disk and won't boot into windows.

my CPU can speed is very inconsistent. in the bios it shows it going at 750RPM and it fluctuates depending on load and head. It doesn't seem to be getting hot in the case right now but I'd like to run it at a faster speed constantly.

specs are.

- Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale
- GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965
- CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
- COOLER MASTER Centurion 534
- Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W
- PNY 7900GS 256MB
- 320GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
- Samsung 18X DVD-/+RW Super Writemaster
49 answers Last reply
More about build running issues though
  1. Yes, you can disable the BIOS splash screen in the BIOS. You can also diasable the BIOS from hunting for hardware you don't have, running a memory test, etc. during POST, so it boots much faster.

    Did you format and do a fresh install of Windows on the drive? If you are using the same drive from your old machine with your old Windows XP installion from that machine, it can be very difficult to get it to work with a new motherboard. Format and reinstall is sometimes the only, and best option.

    In your BIOS, there are settings to control fan speed depending on CPU usage. It sounds to me that you need to get your motherboard manual out and read up on BIOS settings on your board.
  2. Ok I managed to disable the boot spash screen and now I have a POST screen but I have no idea how to disable the hunting for hardware I don't need. if there's any special name that it goes by in the BIOS I could probably find it but right now I'm clueless.
  3. Don't worry about that. Before you go further, it's a good idea to download memtest86+ and run it just to make sure your basic system is working without errors.
  4. In the DS3 bios (its the same as my DS4 bios) there is a fan control option. By default it is managed by temp monitoring. When I first set mine up, because of the cool ambient temperature in my cellar, the fan would actually stop completely whislt I was running in windows and wouldn't kick in until I got some load onto the cpu.

    The boot issue sounds like it might be the trusty SATA problem. Is your hard disk Sata, if so u might have to make the sata floppy disk driver stuff (see the manual). On my DS4 the machine picked up the drive automatically but this is not always the case. We see this all the time at work where the bios looses the hard drive when it is one with a Sata interface. SataII has improved things but its stil not as reliable as good old IDE in this respect.

    mondomans idea is a good one, make yourself a bootable memtest cd and run it for several hours, it might flag up an error which could be a clue to boot issue also.
  5. Quote:
    In the DS3 bios (its the same as my DS4 bios) there is a fan control option. By default it is managed by temp monitoring. When I first set mine up, because of the cool ambient temperature in my cellar, the fan would actually stop completely whislt I was running in windows and wouldn't kick in until I got some load onto the cpu.

    The boot issue sounds like it might be the trusty SATA problem. Is your hard disk Sata, if so u might have to make the sata floppy disk driver stuff (see the manual). On my DS4 the machine picked up the drive automatically but this is not always the case. We see this all the time at work where the bios looses the hard drive when it is one with a Sata interface. SataII has improved things but its stil not as reliable as good old IDE in this respect.

    mondomans idea is a good one, make yourself a bootable memtest cd and run it for several hours, it might flag up an error which could be a clue to boot issue also.


    I'm running the HDD through IDE and I can see it in the BIOS it shows the full capacity and when I boot into windows from the CD the drive shows up and I can read the disk and write to it.

    malphadour, Would you by chance know how to keep the system from trying to find drives I don't have? It would be alot better if I didn't have to wait so long just to boot it up.
  6. will have a look now for you.
  7. ok, the boot up is always on detect for any ide or sata hard drives present and can not be disabled, but I don't think this is the problem. Are you sharing your ide channel with a dvd or cd rom drive. I'm guessing u might be as these boards only have 1 ide connector. If you are, disconnect the dvd/cd rom drive from the ribbon cable and see how it boots up. Also check for the really silly one (that we all do from time to time): hard drive jumpers set to master, dvd/cd rom jumpers set to slave.

    Also make sure S.M.A.R.T is disabled. Give that a try, I will be on for a while.
  8. Yeah I'm running both on the same IDE cable cause I didn't order a SATA drive.
  9. I unplugged the IDE cable from the DVD drive and it still does the same thing it takes forever to get past the splash and it still give me a error asking for a boot disk.
  10. ok, go into bios on next boot up and go into the section where it detects the hard disk. Select your hard drive and run the auto detect. If it takes ages in there, then you may have a hardware issue. If it does the detection bit quickly, then its probably not hardware but a configuration problem. Quite possibly you have the same prob I had a few years back where somehow I managed to do an XP install without actually getting the boot info onto the hard drive, and thus always had to put the windows disk in. Im trying to remember if I had to reinstall to fix it or if I did something clever.

    brain hurting............
    brain still hurting................

    no, damn, can't remember.

    One thing it did cause was that it took ages to boot, so it might well be that.

    Oh, another daft one to check, make sure your first boot device is set to hard disk.
  11. I'll give that a try.

    Would you suggest I just reformat and reinstall XP all together?
  12. If the drive detection in the bios is fairly quick, i.e doesnt take minutes, then you might be as well to try a fresh reload. I thinks that what I did when I had this problem. U could try using the repair console and some of the functions like fixmbr, or fixboot, that might get you up and running.

    There is 3rd boot fixing prog I can't think of, but usually those two work, try fixmbr first.

    The recovery console is accessed by starting the windows install cd on bootup, but then select the Recovery Console when it asks you. This gives you a dos promp. type fixmbr /? for a list of options. I think u just type fixmbr /c if memory serves (brain hurting more now)
  13. Both the HDD and the DVD drive take about 20 seconds to detect in the BIOS screen.

    Only problem with that is when I put the windows CD in it will boot up windows and it won't give me the setup options anymore.
  14. Quote:
    Both the HDD and the DVD drive take about 20 seconds to detect in the BIOS screen.

    Only problem with that is when I put the windows CD in it will boot up windows and it won't give me the setup options anymore.


    set the cd to first boot device, then when you boot up you should get the "boot from cd" display and a countdown. You press a key and it kicks into the Windows setup.

    Before you do that, go and check your boot sequence, I think its wrong, should be hard disk first, in fact this is a boot sequence problem, its coming back to me now.

    Try reset bios defaults and boot up without the win xp disk in the drive.
  15. Boot order is HDD then CD drive.

    I'm gonna give windows a fresh install then I'll try resetting the BIOS.
  16. Quote:
    Boot order is HDD then CD drive.

    I'm gonna give windows a fresh install then I'll try resetting the BIOS.


    no, don't reload!!!!!! its somethingto do with the setup, I bet that your dvd rom is still set as master, change it to slave, i think that is what the issue was when i had it, something really silly but so easy to forget. and double check harddisk is set to master.
  17. Both are set accordingly but I was thinking could I have my IDE cable in wrong? the red connector goes into the system right? With my case I have to rig it so the HDD was in the middle connector and the CD rom was the top one cause I couldn't connect it any way else.
  18. Doesnt really matter which way round u do it as long as one hard drive is master and dvd is slave.

    This is doing my head in now because I know I have solved this before!!!

    How many partitions have you set up on your hard disk, is it just one or is it split?
  19. Pretty sure it's just 1.
  20. ok, on bootup press f12 to select boot order, select hard disk and it should then ask you which hard disk to use, select the hard disk you have.

    make sure your windows cd is not in the dvdrom drive. this forces the machine to boot from your main hard drive.

    tell me what happens
  21. Quote:
    ok, on bootup press f12 to select boot order, select hard disk and it should then ask you which hard disk to use, select the hard disk you have.

    make sure your windows cd is not in the dvdrom drive. this forces the machine to boot from your main hard drive.

    tell me what happens


    I did that selected my drive and then it goes a little more and says boot from CD or disk give me a error a few seconds later asking for the disk.
  22. ok, just been wizzing thru bios, check the following settings.

    Advanced Bios Features:

    Hard Disk Boot Priority - 1 your 320gb hard disk

    First Boot Device - Hard Disk
    second boot device - cd rom


    Integrated Peripherals:

    Onboard Sata/Ide - Disabled <stops is looking for a sata drive to boot from.

    If that doesnt work, just try bios defaults and if that doesnt work then im stumped, unless you have two partitions on your hard drive and it is looking at the second one to boot from.
  23. Quote:
    ok, just been wizzing thru bios, check the following settings.

    Advanced Bios Features:

    Hard Disk Boot Priority - 1 your 320gb hard disk

    First Boot Device - Hard Disk
    second boot device - cd rom


    Integrated Peripherals:

    Onboard Sata/Ide - Disabled <stops is looking for a sata drive to boot from.

    If that doesnt work, just try bios defaults and if that doesnt work then im stumped, unless you have two partitions on your hard drive and it is looking at the second one to boot from.


    Well disabling the onboard SATA/IDE option makes the system boot alot faster but it still gives me the disk error.
  24. Now it's not showing my HDD and DVD drive. Is there any importance that they were on IDE channel 4? shouldn't they be in the 1st channel?
  25. Quote:
    ok, just been wizzing thru bios, check the following settings.

    Advanced Bios Features:

    Hard Disk Boot Priority - 1 your 320gb hard disk

    First Boot Device - Hard Disk
    second boot device - cd rom


    Integrated Peripherals:

    Onboard Sata/Ide - Disabled <stops is looking for a sata drive to boot from.

    If that doesnt work, just try bios defaults and if that doesnt work then im stumped, unless you have two partitions on your hard drive and it is looking at the second one to boot from.


    Well disabling the onboard SATA/IDE option makes the system boot alot faster but it still gives me the disk error.

    erm, you will soon find out!!

    im hoping it will cause the machine to find your ide drive as the primary boot drive.
  26. Quote:
    Now it's not showing my HDD and DVD drive. Is there any importance that they were on IDE channel 4? shouldn't they be in the 1st channel?


    Quoting just incase you missed it on the last page.
  27. thats odd, waht you disabled was the gigabyte sata, it sohuld leave them on. channel 4 sounds about right, my cdrom is somewhere around there and it is on the ide channel.

    re-enable the sata/ide option and then re detect the drives, tell me what it shows u, which channel and which is master and which is slave.
  28. The HDD is Channel 4 master and the DVD drive is Channel 4 slave.
  29. ok, search bios for any options that mention pxe or boot from lan and disable them.
  30. Couldn't find any options with PXE and the only lan thing I found was onboard H/W lan in the integrated peripherals.
  31. Go to bios and Integrated Peripherals

    Sata Raid/AHCI - disabled

    Onboard Sata/IDE Ctrl Mode - IDE

    Onboard Lan Boot Rom - disabled

    Once those done, if still nto working can you check your boot.ini file

    start, run, msconfig,ok, boot.ini tab.

    mine looks like this as far as line 3 is concerned

    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Windows
  32. All those are set like that. Windows XP locked me out cause I needed to activate it online but I don't have an extra Ethernet cord to hook too it. I think I messed some things up while installing XP so I'm reformatting the drive and then I'm gonna do a fresh install and then I'll report back in a few hours if that fixed things.

    Also thanks for taking time out of your day to help me, I appreciate it.
  33. Ok I'm 99% sure the problem is a jumper issue. I disconnected the DVD drive and took the jumper out of the HDD and it booted into windows in less than a minute.
  34. Ok I got it working and I'm posting this on the new system now! The final solution was setting the DVD drive to master and the HDD to slave.

    Again thanks to everyone that helped me out.
  35. Glad it is working, still sounds wierd but that doesn't count now. Post some benchmarks and pics soon.
  36. Here's some pics of my setup.





    Currently sitting in windows listening to music while re downloading steam games my CPU temp is at 20-21c and system is at 42c is that good for temps? I never checked temps on my old PC.
  37. Sounds ok, what about the guts? we can see case pictures on Newegg :)
  38. None for now but if I need to open the case again I'll make sure to snap a few.

    Oh man Stalker looks amazing on this machine and it runs so well!
  39. Quote:
    Ok I got it working and I'm posting this on the new system now! The final solution was setting the DVD drive to master and the HDD to slave.

    Again thanks to everyone that helped me out.


    This sounds like it's because you have the DVD on the end connector and the main drive on the middle connector. I know you said they had to be that way because of the layout of your case but you should be able to have it the other way around with that case and a normal length IDE cable. A friend has a similar case and he has his slave optical drive where yours is and a master hard drive in the highest slot that still leaves airflow between it and the floppy, and there is slack in his IDE cable.

    Cable folded this way


    /\
    | |__
    | |__|- Slave DVD
    | |
    | v
    | To M/B IDE socket
    |
    |
    |
    | .__
    | |__| - Master HD
    | |
    \/


    Q
  40. If I ever get a longer IDE cable I'll play around with it. Right now it's running and so far seems stable.

    After playing oblivion for about a hour my CPU temp was going back and forth between 28-30c I don't know alot about CPU temps but that seems like a good temp for playing for a hour.
  41. Those are common reading for IDLE so you be smilin :D
  42. Quote:
    Those are common reading for IDLE so you be smilin :D


    Idle as in nothing going on in the PC? I got those temps while Oblivion was folded down running in the background.
  43. Hi Josh

    Glad u got it working after yesterdays epic battle. I had some of my techs musing over it and they did suggest to try using cable select on the hdd or dvd, but sounds like you got a similar effect with what you did.

    As for your temps, they are fine and dandy.
  44. Yes your temps are way low and very cool!! Glad you is working out great.
  45. Hey do any of you know a good temperature reading program that will sit down in the task bar? I'm using EasyTune5 to keep track of my temps and even at 1280x1024 res it takes a good 1/4 of the screen when I look at it. I need something small out of the way and will keep me informed of my temps.
  46. Try Mother Board Monitor 5

    I just sits in the tray happily doing its thing but also can be brought up to just about any size you like on screen. It is highly configurable but doesn't do much effective logging though.

    Q
  47. I'm using Rightmark as it shows temps and CPU usage in the tray, similar to MBM5
  48. Quote:
    I'm using Rightmark as it shows temps and CPU usage in the tray, similar to MBM5


    Not seen that one but I think I'll give it a try as well.

    Q
  49. MBM5 doesn't seem to support my mobo.

    I'll try Rightmark.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Boot Systems