Sign in with
Your question

First time gaming pc build. Feedback please.

Tags:
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
December 15, 2011 3:06:47 AM

Hello,
I'm in the process of putting together my first pc. I would consider myself knowledgable when it comes to computers but I love advice. I've done a fair bit of research on hardware but I would just like to know if I have the right idea. Is my build compatable etc? Thank you in advance.

Case- COOLER MASTER Elite 430

MOBO- ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67

CPU- Intel Core i7-2600K

HDD- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU- nvidia gtx 560

RAM- G.skill sniper series 8GB (4gbx2) DDR3 1866

PSU- corsair gaming series 700w high performance. (OPEN FOR FEEDBACK/ ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS.)

other components such as dvd drive and fans I don't see being an issue. Windows 7 for OS? I realize there's a lot going on with my post but any feedback at all is greatly appreciated.

December 15, 2011 10:40:03 AM

Case- COOLER MASTER Elite 430
-up to you but alot of people seem to like the antec 900 and HAF. whatever you pick get 120mm fan slots.

MOBO- ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67
-again your choice just make sure your ram and cpu choices fit. i love my asus board (rampage III rog).

CPU- Intel Core i7-2600K
-if you want to save money get a i7-920 for $200 or less instead. its more than powerfull enough and you can overclock if needed. your choice though.

HDD- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-just one drive? i highly suggest trying out raid1 for backup or a small SSD boot drive and larger HDD data drive(s). wd caviar black 1tb isnt a bad choice either. just avoid the 1.5tb models as they have issue.

GPU- nvidia gtx 560
-up to you here. i prefer evga brand. personally i take one step down from whatever the "bleeding edge" model is at the moment for good price/performance.

RAM- G.skill sniper series 8GB (4gbx2) DDR3 1866
-again match this to your mb. make sure the board is dual channel not triple channel or you will need 3x sticks. i prefer ocz and mushkin.

PSU- corsair gaming series 700w high performance. (OPEN FOR FEEDBACK/ ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS.)
-corsair HX line. i think they have an 850w model. my 1000w model has been rock solid just like the old OCZ pro unit i had in the old pc was. PCP&C models are also high reliability but too expensive.

other components such as dvd drive and fans I don't see being an issue. Windows 7 for OS? I realize there's a lot going on with my post but any feedback at all is greatly appreciated.
-windows 7 64 bit is definitely a good choice.
-fans maybe not but you might want a fan control
-dont forget to buy artic silver thermal paste for the cpu heatsink (i never use the stock stuff)
-doublecheck part compatabilities before ordering, doublecheck psu cable ends before ordering. especially mb main power connection and number of six pin connectors for gfx card.
December 15, 2011 10:45:41 AM

Wow. That is exactly the kind of help I was looking for. Thank you for the reply! Greatly appreciated.
December 15, 2011 2:44:20 PM

i've assembled four computers so far and i frequent tech forums and news sites so its really no trouble. since you said it is your first computer build its definitely good to triplecheck everything....and even if you get everything perfect you are bound to run across a minor issue once in awhile. you live you learn. its good experience.

i guess i'll throw in a checklist
things you should check:

-cpu socket/mb socket
-ram type/mb ram type accepted/speed
-if mb is dual or triple channel/get right # ram sticks
-do you have all the cables?
-do you have all the req psu connectors (mb, vid card, pereph)
-thermal paste
-screws, other hardware (normally you get after you see what is included)
-tools (phillips/flathead #2 screwdrivers, pliers, grounding strap optional)
-video card length (some are too long for certain cases)

if you are not using a grounding strap...you need to touch the pc case every once in awhile and before picking up any hardware. dont wear fleece or wool sweaters.

--

sounds like alot but its not really bad as specs should all be listed. if you have any questions just post on the forum.
!