Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Ok i just reinstalled XP from an old disc with no service packs.

i have a few questions cause i can't get anything out of microsoft cause everything deals with Service pack 2.

Ok when i had my main rig up and running and installed SP2 at the time, the system ran like crap. So i uninstalled it. but i had SP1 on there.

My main questions are.

If i have NO service Packs .. what am i missing? Other then the security fixes.. i don't use IE, and i run multiple firewalls and antiviruses... so im talking about in real terms what am i missing? as far as support for new apps?

Anyway so if it's a MUST i need to install SP1 back on here.. where's somewhere i can download it other then Microsoft because everything on there is sp2 and there website is just 2 annoying to many things to click to get what you want.

And last but not least.. If i don't install sp2.. which im not either way.. Other then there crappy firewall what else does it give you that you "need"

Thank you,

Rob.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
you mean other than being exposed to the sasser and mydoom worms? native usb driver support, security holes, older IE version, firewall, DEP feature, the rest gets kind of deep inside the o/s

anyway, if you built a system from scratch, put sp2 on it, it should run fine, upgrading from sp1 to sp2 wasn't always pretty, but give sp2 another shot man, sp0 is over 3 years old now

mac7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
aren't you missing other critical updates though by not having sp2? I don't think thats a good idea.