The Driver That Would Not Die!

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I had a Syba Silicon Image 3114 card. I was not able to get it working. I gave up and got a SIIG 3114 card. Same controller chip but hopefully the different implementation would work. Problem is the operating system recognizes it as the same card and tries to install the Syba driver. I was able to stop it from installing by deleting the Syba drivers, but it still tries to find them in the no longer existing Syba folder and will not accept any other location or driver. Weird thing is I went through the Registry and deleted all references to Silicon Image, 3114, and even 3112 for good measure (used to have one of those). I also deleted all occurences of the drivers and associated files from Windows, system32, and drivers folders. I searched the Registry and did a text search for the folder name it keeps trying to find by looking for the text in every file on the C drive (including system and hidden). It finds nothing, yet it has to be storing that text somewhere! What am I missing here?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
clean up your device manager of the old device entries
launch a command prompt from the run box by typing cmd.exe
throw this line in there: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
hit enter
now type devcemgmt.msc
click on view > show all hidden devices
then just search for that silicon thingy and remove it from the list...don't touch nothing else