Sign in with
Your question

Problem Raid 0 asus p5n32e sli plus

Last response: in Motherboards
April 17, 2007 2:11:31 PM

I have 4 raptors 74Gb raid 0 on Asus P5N32E sli Plus.
all system is ok all hardware a installed ok i am using the last bios from Asus
The problem is on raid 0 performance when bench with Hddtach show me 45mb/s read ,0.1% procesor usage.
to compare with other its a disaster.
Its a problem fro m chipset or bios Asus problem ?
April 17, 2007 3:32:54 PM

Quote:
I have 4 raptors 74Gb raid 0 on Asus P5N32E sli Plus.
all system is ok all hardware a installed ok i am using the last bios from Asus
The problem is on raid 0 performance when bench with Hddtach show me 45mb/s read ,0.1% procesor usage.
to compare with other its a disaster.
Its a problem fro m chipset or bios Asus problem ?

what the heck are you using that for?
and why would someone go out and spend the money on 4 raptors for a raid and not get a dedicated raid card?

there are so many problems with this question...

Valis
April 17, 2007 4:11:17 PM

is your primary use for the 4 raided raptors showing much nonsynthetic performance improvement, compared to a single raptor, or 2 or even 3?... if not, then you would have to question whether keeping all 4 in raid 0 is really worth it. also, you shouldnt rely on just one benchmark... HD tune, sisandra, performancetest are a few examples of other programs you could try

but, 45MB/s is below the average read score for a single 74GB ADFD raptor, which averages about 75MB/s read (and even below the min read score, which is about 55MB/s)... either way though, try testing with a single drive, before jumping to all 4...

...i had used 4 36GB GD raptors in raid 0 in my system before... other than being marginally more responsive than a single 36GB GD, they didnt really perform all that much faster, at all, and for some things, there was no improvement over a single hdd... after upgrading to a single 74GB ADFD, it made the 4 36s i had in raid 0, seem kinda slow in general, TBH... ...but, again, either way... unless your specific use really benefits from having raid... ...using a timer of some kind is probably the best way to tell if youre running nonsynthetic tests, that way you can see if the performance difference between configurations is really worth keeping, to see how many seconds are shaved off each time you retest
April 18, 2007 8:40:30 AM

The problem is with 4 raptor raid 0 with 45mb/s read its correct or its a bottleneck of chipset .This i want to know.
I have tested with 2 raptor raid 0 and is the same 65Mb/s.
I have tested with Sisoftsandra and show me less point to compare with other drive.
In compare list hddtach single raptor show 140mb/s read ,with 4 raptor supposed 220mb/s read.
I have read reviews and 4 raptor raid 0 show much performance.

If anyone have the same board with 2 or 4 raptor raid 0 to compare the test??????
!