How to arrange my fans?

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Hi,
I've got an old Tsunami Capricorn Series 350Watt which is not a good PC case but that's what I've got.

I had an heating problem so I drilled a 120mm hole on the side and put a Arctic cooling 120mm fan. I also have a generic 80mm fan in the back.

Which way do you think I should direct the fans (Exhaust/Intake)?
I've got a possibility to add an 80mm fan at the bottom - will it make any difference?

currently the 120mm brings air in and the 80mm takes air out but under load the PWM temp raises to 60-65 C... though since I've added the 120mm fan the SYS temp is always under 30 (usually 26)

Thanks
Uri

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
i have the same question about where to put my fans and which should be intake and exh. im thinking about haveing 4 fans, one on the side, one in rear, one in front, and one on top. i wanted to make the side and top fans intake and front and rear exh.

General rules I go by for fans:

People usually put the case against oriented so the back of the case faces a wall. People tend not to dust around the back of a computer case. No dusting behind the case results in more dust buildup behind the case. If you intake from the back of the case, you will get more dust in the case....bad. No intakes from back of case.

Heat rises. Fans on top of case should always blow out, to take the heat out.

Depending on the location of the case, fans on the bottom can be good or bad. If the case is off the floor, and decent ventilation is possible, then the fan on the bottom of case, when blowing into the case, will provide the coolest air into the case. (Reference - see previous statement regarding heat.)

The most effective method of cooling a case is to move the air in 1 direction. This typically indicates a front to back, side to side, or top to bottom, or vice versa of any of these methods. Moving in 2 or more directions drops cooling efficiency.

The case may have spots of "Dead" air space. These are spots where cooling fans do not provide circulation of air. These spots tend to foster any heat that may be in the case. The utmost effort should be taken when planning cooling to eliminate these spots.

.....again....these are rules by which I go by...I hope they can help you too.