Sign in with
Your question

Watching TV & Playing Games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2007 3:33:08 PM

My current rig is running XP Pro and has a video turner card in it and a video card with two DVI outs. The two DVI outs are currently running two LCD screens a 20.1" and a 17".

I like to be able to play games on the 20.1" LCD while watching TV on the 17" LCD. I've found that some games, (WOW) will allow me to do this and others (FEAR) will not.

I've got a mobo with a second video 4x slot (MSI P965 Platinum) and I'm wondering if get a cheep video card to put in the second slot to run my TV monitor if that will solve the problem and let me play FEAR and BF2142 while watching TV. I'm just not sure if the problem is the single video card or if it's a limitation in the way XP handles video. Would a SLI Mobo make a difference? Would Vista make a difference?

Can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks.

More about : watching playing games

April 21, 2007 2:42:15 PM

u can just split the screan, i think its possible to extend the "view" to 2 lcd's and then just pu the tv on the far right so it is on the other lcd, and then the game should play on the left one, or you could just "window " it and drag it there only
April 26, 2007 4:41:43 PM

Still a no-go with 2nd card and 3rd screen.

I run 3 screens on 2 video cards, and when a fullscreen game like FEAR or BF2142 load up, everything goes wonky; both in XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate.

I'm almost wondering if it's the audio giving the problems, not the video.
I know with my WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe, I can choose the specific devices where the sounds and video originate.

Hmm.. maybe I should enable my onboard sound along with my X-fi and see what happens.
Related resources
April 27, 2007 3:03:25 AM

thats quite odd, have You checked it with the catalyst control center(or whatever other app You might be using)? there was an option on how to "streach" one monitors view to many, as well as other options such as a ....cloned/coppied(i forgot the naming for it) main desktop, hm.. what about this, if possible make the game "windowed" then pick the with and hight of it so it would fit exactly in one lcd screan, and then just drag it wherever You want it, and tehn just dragg the tv view, i tried the drag part long time ago, on my friends pc, it took a bit after it dissapeared from the one lcs and appeared on the other one, so click hold, and just move the mouse as far as possible, that should work, it does take a bit of time to configure, switch and so on, but it might work, to be honest i only tried puting a word document on one lcd, and an excel or internet explorer window on the other one, i almost did run out of the mouse pad, and went on the table with the mouse, so it all depends on the movement options of the mouse(the one in relation with the pc's response, for windowing i think there was an app out there, but im not shoor about it, i read about it in some online game forum.....sorry but thats all i can think of right now, i would suggest first trying the EXTEND (that was teh name of it) the desktop to both monitors then just move the tv app there, to the other monitor....im curious how it goes,
take care
April 27, 2007 12:42:19 PM

Quote:
Still a no-go with 2nd card and 3rd screen.

I run 3 screens on 2 video cards, and when a full screen game like FEAR or BF2142 load up, everything goes wonky; both in XP SP2 and Vista Ultimate.

That's what I was afraid of. I am only trying to run two screens though, one for the game and one for the TV to run on. I get the feeling it's got something to do with the way windows drivers work when you are accessing the 3d parts of the graphics cards. I was hoping someone would be able to shed a little more light.

Quote:
I'm almost wondering if it's the audio giving the problems, not the video.
I know with my WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe, I can choose the specific devices where the sounds and video originate.

Hmm.. maybe I should enable my onboard sound along with my X-fi and see what happens.

I don't think it's an audio problem because with some games the TV program window goes black when I start a full screen game but I can still hear the audio. With other games I get a blank video window and no sound.
April 27, 2007 1:04:41 PM

Quote:
thats quite odd, have You checked it with the catalyst control center(or whatever other app You might be using)? there was an option on how to "streach" one monitors view to many, as well as other options such as a ....cloned/coppied(i forgot the naming for it) main desktop, hm..

My video card is a 7600gt and my tuner card uses the ATI Theatre 550Pro chip. Currently I have my desktop stretched across both monitors and I've got my monitors set to be independent of each other, different refresh rates and different resolutions I can't tell you exactly what settings I'm using at the moment. (I'm at my work..:( ..Shhhh...Don't tell my boss.)

Quote:
what about this, if possible make the game "windowed" then pick the with and hight of it so it would fit exactly in one lcd screan, and then just drag it wherever You want it, and tehn just dragg the tv view

I usually keep the TV program (Beyond TV with all current updates) windowed in the second monitor 17" but I want to play games full screen in the main monitor 20.1".

What's weird is that with some games that works and with some games it doesn't. World of Warcraft works without any problems. But FEAR doesn't work. I usually start the TV program first move it to the second screen and then start the game. I've tried starting the game first then minimizing the game and starting the TV program but it doesn't seem to make a difference it either works or it doesn't depending on the game.

I find it odd that with all that Microsoft is doing to push media convergence on the PC they can't seem to make it possible to watch TV and play a game on the PC at the same time. I know the game takes up a lot of the computers resources but the video overhead to play back TV isn't that much at all.
April 28, 2007 12:47:12 AM

Thats odd, i would have done the same thing, to be honest i do not know what else is there to try out :( , if anything i guess the only thing now is to just check up for methoeds to make some games windowed and use them that way(just stretched to one monitor's size)...sory that i cant be more helpful, I guess it all depends on the game design then.
!