Sign in with
Your question

Can I get a sample of Windows XP - FREE?

Last response: in Windows XP
November 16, 2006 12:16:16 PM

Several years ago I heard from various sources that there was a trick to getting samples of Microsoft products - for free! Mind you, this was not just something I picked up from some junk email scams. I read about this in various places. However, I never really looked into it in depth.

That said, it was my understanding that in order to get this you had to do either one of two things:

1) Attend a Microsoft Software Convention where they talk about the merits of their various software solutions for businesses and corporations. You get some free products for attending.

2) You could apply to the Microsoft.com website for a free software sample. But to do this you needed to supply your business name and contact info. Also, it came with some strict limitations: Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES were you allowed to sell or give away these samples. It was part of the license agreement.

I assume that these samples were provided to businesses in order to have them try the products out. The hope was to encourage them to buy numerous licenses for their entire office or corporation. For a while there they were in heated competition with Sun and others for business solutions. (Even today there are many businesses and government offices going the Linux route...)

Since I'm starting my own small business, I could supply a legitimate business name and contact info. But my question is this:

Does this software sample offer still stand? And if so, where can I apply?
I tried some of the links I found, but they all seem to be broken...

More about : sample windows free

November 17, 2006 5:15:59 AM

No comment?

I suppose most readers simply aren't interested.
Either that, or they look at the thread topic and think it's a joke...
November 17, 2006 11:37:31 PM

Either that or people just don't know.

If Microsoft does offer it, then why not contact them about it?
!