Vista 64-bit, 4GB of G.SKILL = 1.5 Memory Score, 2GB = 4.8 ?

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
Alright you guys are my last hope...

STORY: I realized lastnight that I in order to use all of my 4GB of RAM I would have to upgrade to a 64-bit platform, so I did. I went out and bought a Vista Ultimate 32-bit and 64-bit DVD package.

Earlier that day I upgraded from 2GB of memory to 4GB of memory and realized that I needed the 64-bit platform to use all of it.

Anyways... I installed Vista 64-bit from the DVD at bootup, deleted my old partition and installed Vista without any problems, it did seem a little slow though to me.

Sure enough after the OS comes up it rates my memory at 1.5.

I removed the two new recent memory DIMM's I received earlier that day and booted back up to discover that Vista had rated 2GB of memory at 4.8. I put another 1GB stick back in and it went to 4.7.

So all 4GB's = a 1.5 score? What gives...???

Does anyone have any idea what is happening??? It doesn't seem like I have any memory problems, my motherboard and processor are Vista certified....

Any ideas?

--------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe
MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel
4GB of G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
2x74GB WD Raptor's RAID-0
Nvidia 7800GT
MS-Vista 64-bit

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Are you overclocked? Did the additional memory end up changing anything? Perhaps the chosen clock rates or ratios don't get along well with four sticks in the system.

What are all the clock settings, etc.?

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
This looks like it could be related to my bios. I don't know for sure but I did find this in the MSI forums if it helps anyone.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=106608.0

I'll check it out tonight and verify for sure and post my results.

It looks like a beta-bios update from MSI may resolve the "VISTA 4GB SLOWDOWN" issue.

I'm not overclocking, the memory is 4-4-4-12 just like how I bought it.

picho

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
It's an opaque score, so it's hard to explain why it went from A to B. If you're really interested in what it means, grab a comprehensive memory benchmark and see how each configuration performs.

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
It's an opaque score, so it's hard to explain why it went from A to B. If you're really interested in what it means, grab a comprehensive memory benchmark and see how each configuration performs.

It's not like I think I'm getting ripped off with the points or anything. It really is slower... The computer becomes unresponsive and snail-like.

I really don't have to use a benchmark program to explain what I can already see.