start button

hi

when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2 columns.
They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my screen
isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down arrow.
4 answers Last reply
More about start button

    Not within Windows, I'm afraid.
    You can make the problem worse by increasing the font size (if you are using
    Windows Classic Style) but no matter how much you shrink the font, the
    spacing will not compress.
    If your space problem is due in part to the width of your columns, feel free
    to shorten the name of any program with a long name. After all, the list
    consists of shortcuts, not the files themselves, so any name will do.
    Right-click on the program name and rename the shortcut. Press Enter.

    "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2
    columns.
    > They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my
    screen
    > isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down arrow.

    Yes... just consolidate some of the program shortcuts into new folders.
    example: put MS Word, MS excel, MS Access, MS FrontPage etc into a new
    folder called MS Office

    Windows explorer > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > Start Menu >
    Programs
    From menu Bar: File > New > Folder: create a new folder / drag program
    shortcuts into the folder

    Jeff

    "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2
    > columns.
    > They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my
    > screen isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down
    > arrow.

    Try right click on your task bar, select properties, select start menu and
    choose "Classic Style" and see if you like that better (it only has one
    column).

    If you do not like that style then go back to the XP default on the same
    screen.

    "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2
    > columns.
    > They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my
    > screen isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down
    > arrow.

    Customise your start menu

    either swap to "classic start menu" or "use small icons"
    Under the properties (right-click the start menu) and change the options.

    "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
    > hi
    >
    > when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2
    > columns.
    > They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my
    > screen isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down
    > arrow.

Microsoft Windows XP