start button

April 20, 2005 6:24:38 PM

hi

when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2 columns.
They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my screen
isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down arrow.

More about : start button

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:24:39 PM

Not within Windows, I'm afraid.
You can make the problem worse by increasing the font size (if you are using
Windows Classic Style) but no matter how much you shrink the font, the
spacing will not compress.
If your space problem is due in part to the width of your columns, feel free
to shorten the name of any program with a long name. After all, the list
consists of shortcuts, not the files themselves, so any name will do.
Right-click on the program name and rename the shortcut. Press Enter.

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
> hi
>
> when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2
columns.
> They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my
screen
> isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down arrow.

April 20, 2005 6:24:39 PM

Yes... just consolidate some of the program shortcuts into new folders.
example: put MS Word, MS excel, MS Access, MS FrontPage etc into a new
folder called MS Office

Windows explorer > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > Start Menu >
Programs
From menu Bar: File > New > Folder: create a new folder / drag program
shortcuts into the folder

Jeff

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
> hi
>
> when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2
> columns.
> They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my
> screen isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down
> arrow.

April 20, 2005 8:09:53 PM

Try right click on your task bar, select properties, select start menu and
choose "Classic Style" and see if you like that better (it only has one
column).

If you do not like that style then go back to the XP default on the same
screen.

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
> hi
>
> when i click start/programs button the menus that appear fill up 2
> columns.
> They seem 1.5 spaced, can I condense these menu entries so 3/4 of my
> screen isnt filled up as soon as I click on start/programs then on down
> arrow.

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:43:59 PM

Customise your start menu

either swap to "classic start menu" or "use small icons"
Under the properties (right-click the start menu) and change the options.

!