TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I didn't write down the numbers at the bottom but I'll give as much other information as I can.

This is the second or third time it has happened. All times I was surfing the net reading boards, chatting on AIM, listening to music, etc...

I'm running Win XP and the only "recent" change I've made is going from an AMD 64 3200+ to a AMD 64 X2 4600+. I had to do a repair install and such on windows to get it to recognize it correctly.

I searched the net for the problem. While there were a ton of sites listing the problem, none of them had a good solution and/or the error didn't occur in the same way that mine did.

Any of you have experience with this or know what might be causing the problem?

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I've actually run both of those.

The problem happened again last night, it seems to be video related. I was watching some fight vids from UFC and such, when it did it again. It happened twice in one night. The second time it happened I was able to write down the numbers located at the STOP section at the bottom. They are as follows:

(0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x024B0004, 0x84EC2538)

Don't know if they are of any help, but I've seen others list/ask for them in the other places I have looked for information.

Sounds like you have an ATI video card.
Uninstall your drivers and reinstall the latest ones.
I had a similar problem and ATI directed me to the latest drivers.
ATI2evxx error message?

General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages

Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.
If you’ve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.
Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.
Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.
However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.
Open the box and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.
Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isn’t, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.
Check for viruses.
Investigate recently added software.
Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
NOTE: When a STOP message occurs, Windows can create a debug file for very detailed analysis. To do this, it needs a workspace equal to the amount of physical RAM you have installed. If you resize your Win XP pagefile minimum to less than the size of your physical RAM, you will get an advisory message that your system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs. My advice is to go ahead with this change if you want, but simply remember the limitation so that you can change it back if you need to troubleshoot STOP messages.

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Okay, this time it BSODed on me again but with a different error and definitely related to video card. I went and got the most up to date drivers for my card and was playing Thief - Deadly Shadows when it happened. Here is what was on the BSOD:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

0x00000050 (0xE6173824, 0x00000000, 0xBF0CB558, 0x0000001)

nv4_disp.dll Address BF0CB558 based at BF012000 Date Stamp42b0d02c