pls write me a simple guide for ds3 and e6600

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Is there anyone that can write a simple step by step guide for a noob to overclock with a ds3 (latest bios), and an e6600 core 2 duo, with stock cooling. I just wanna get it up to either 3.0 or 3.2 with the stock cooling, if thats ok. i use this ram - 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX

mpohl727

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
OrangeGator has a good point.

I certainly wouldnt want to follow directions without knowing the principles behind what i'm doing. Otherwise your pride and joy becomes your very expensive paperweight.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Use Wusy's guide which will net you 3GHz... if You don't find that easy... then you shouldn't be OC'ing.

In reality you don't sound real enthusiastic about OC'ing so if I were you I would stay away from it.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
ok im pretty enthusiastictastic about it, just a bit confused by all the mumbo-jumbo. this other guide i found was a little bit more encouraging for a noob like me, so i thought i'd give it a try. basicly the guy who wrote it actually followed wussy's guide and wrote his own simple version for lazy people. Heres a snippet from it:

7. Enter the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) section and do the following:
- Set CPU Host Clock Control to Enabled
- Set CPU Host Frequency (MHz) to 376
- Set PCI Express Frequency(MHz) to 100
- Set System Memory Multiplier to 2.00
- Set DRAM Timing Selectable to Manual
- Set CAS Latency Time to 5
- Set DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to 5
- Set DRAM RAS# Precharge to 5
- Set Precharge dealy (tRAS) to 12
Most RAM will actually work at 4-4-4-12 but this is a guide for lazy people so I figured I'd go with 5-5-5-12 since it's bound to work.

basicly please can someone just explain what i would change differntly seeing as im using an e6600 instead of the e6400 he uses, i think my ram is 555 something. sorry for being a total buffoon. this isnt going to kill my processor is it? using the stock heatsink and fan.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
No offense, but how do you have such a nice custom computer listed in your signature, yet seem to know so little about computer hardware? Did someone build it for you? If so, ask them to overclock it for you. If you lack the basic knowledge and are too "lazy" to learn, then don't overclock. You could end up with an unstable system or even cause damage.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
np. ive been into pc games for 10 years or so, I built this computer myself some months ago and it is the first computer i've built. In the past I would of bought something from dell or somewhere but realised that the way to go is to build your own. I like to think i have a fairly good knowledge of computers, atleast more than "most people". However when it comes to overclocking, its a whole new area of things to learn, strange numbers and settings. In the past I never gave overclocking much thought as I asumed it would damage the stuff. However there are games such as Supreme commander which apparently is very processor heavy, and the core 2 is supposed to be easy to overclock, so it's been on my mind a lot.

Im not really lazy when it comes to things like this, the thing which puts me off the most is simply getting a better cooler and having to apply thermal paste and go through the whole pain with the heatsink clips again. So im thinking of settling for a smaller overclock of 3.0 ghz and just using the stock fan. or 3.2 possibly

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I doubt you will get too far on stock cooling... it pretty much sucks lol.

That's not true, the C2D stock coolers are decent enough for stock. I was running my e6600 at 3.3GHz on stock cooling, since then I've declocked it a bit to settle at 3.06GHz and it runs pretty cool. 3.0-3.2 is the range specified by the OP.

Although with that said, I agree that if he doesn't know this much about overclocking he should research the topic more before attempting it.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
just disable basically everything in the bios, cntrl f1 to unlock the settings u need.. bump the fbs to 334.. you will have a 3.0ghz... 334*9 = 3006.

if the ram ur using is rated at 800 then change the timing for it to 2... for the gigabyte board. it will then show it then ram at some lower speed then 800. approx 600 somethen. ur done

you wont need any other cooling unless you play with ur voltage's...

im sitting at 365 fbs with stock cooler because i didnt raise the Vc.

33C idle
54C load

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
i havnt done any oc yet. i downloaded that core temp program, and it says my cores are at 35C. thats whilst im typing this, with pretty much no other programs running. So is that a high temp considering i havnt oc'd?
also the tjunction is 85c

so what does setting the ram timing to 2 do? does that underclock the ram or something?

i might try what uve done eventually and get 3.3

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
i havnt done any oc yet. i downloaded that core temp program, and it says my cores are at 35C. thats whilst im typing this, with pretty much no other programs running. So is that a high temp considering i havnt oc'd?
also the tjunction is 85c

so what does setting the ram timing to 2 do? does that underclock the ram or something?

i might try what uve done eventually and get 3.3

Czar was using the 2 to imply also, not saying change the timings to 2, that would be bad and cause your system to lock up.

Your tjunction isn't 85c, that is the maximum spec.

There is a sticky in the OC section for Core 2 Temps.

35C isn't horrible, the question is what are load temps?

Use Intel TAT to simulate loads, again in the Core 2 Temp guide sticky.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
i ran TAT for about 3 minutes, i saw one of the cores go as high as 63c. then i stopped it running. is this bad?

It isn't great, but not unexpected with stock cooling.

This is why I warned you about OC'ing with stock cooling. Tjunction shouldn't exceed ~75C and Tjunction = Tcase (in your case 63c) + 15c = 78c. Honestly, you could OC a little bit but I wouldn't go very far because if you get under load with those temps, the result isn't always great. At some point your chip will throttle (reduce clockspeed to maintain temp). I have mine set to shut down at 75c, just to be safe.

A good $50 cooler will drop those temps nicely into the upper 40's or low 50's (46-53), but it's your call if you want to spend that kind of money.

In the end you may not be under 100% load all the time but some games get close and TAT is a good conservative measurement to go by.

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Jeeze you guys have a point, but it was made the first time it was said, he doesnt need to hear the same thing in different words.

I have a very similar setup. not going to list specs cuz i forgot what my mobo was and dont wanna go find the model.

I have a e6600 and a GA-penis penis it had the newer north bridge YUMMY TECHNOLOGY!!!

Dont overclock with stock, TOO risky,

turn off all cpu features in advance bios features
forget your memory timings
if you realy want 3.0ghz(your gunna fry it WOOT) change cpu host contron to enabled
set the frequencey to 376(or somthing)
asuming you have 800mhz ram set ram spd control to manual then set the multiplier to x2.00
then set the voltages to manual
set them all to normal
set your vcore voltage to somthing like 1.2
save and exit
run 2 simotanius instances of prime95
if your computer restarts or prime95 gives you an error up your vcore voltage if it doesnt lower it(if you want)till one or the other happens then up the voltage to just above were it messes up.

You would be better of to read real faq things and you shoulnd not overclock that much(or at all) with stock cooling in my opinion

and if you do want to overclock I recommend you set the frequencey to like 300 or less I have liquid cooling and set it to 333 the temp stay between 40 and 50 so thats good and I could do more I suppose

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
true, but that was a point I was trying to make my 2x IS a 1:1 ratio. my memory would run at 752mhz instead of 800mhz with a 2x multiplier orr you could say it was running at 376 instead of 400 so it depends on your bios how its displayed.

like I said earlier my core is 333mhz with a memory multiplier of 2.5x and it runs at 833mhz total or you could say 415 its a 1:1.5 ratio when my mobo is set to 2.5x

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Hmmm 376 * 2 = 752.... no way computer will boot with that setup.

You want FSB:MEM ratio to be 1:1 at that speed.

Ya he is dead on... at that clock will more then likely need to up your voltage. the best i could get was 370 with no changes but its wasn't stable at all.

About my post earlier i was in a hurry and hadnt looked in by bios in a while, so that why i didn't use correct term i meant mem multiplier, sorry.

For that fsb:mem 1:1 ratio, you turn the memory multiplier to 2.

Basically do what InuYashaFly said, but my changes are:

.Turn off all cpu features.. all of them..
.memory multiplier to 2.
.Frequency to 334 for cpu (start with that test, then go up in 5 to 10 increments)
.Leave the voltages, put them all back to stock.
.check what voltage you ram is rated at.. mine is 2.1 V i believe the board you have sets it at 1.8... you will want to up that V to your ram spec's.
.Yes all the guides you'll see will say 2.2 V well i day don't, its not stable as far as im concerned and your not doing a heavy OC so just DO IT ;)
.if you get a new cooler feel free to up your V a little but don't TOUCH IT unless you get a new cooler.

Test the crap out of it. Just don't go crazy and change the fbs to 400 and see what happens.. more then likely your board will kick and scream. May need to even reset bios to get it to stop restarting.

anyway gl... dont foc your comp up

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
czar are you saying up ram voltage ore vcor? Cuz if your ram is DDR2 800 that would be underclocked by 48mhz so... are we agreeing but missunderstanding eachother? my e6600 is under volted at 1.181 and overclocked at 333 havent left it on over night but it was stable with 2x prime95's for roughly 30min (I set the torture test and watched tv)

I am not an OC pro realy my memory voltage is set to normal but I dont know what that is. but like I said stable for about 30mins.

Conroe cores are so sweet that voltage is like nothing not overclocked my amd 64 4000+ the lowest I can get it to run stable is like 1.325 and I like low voltage alot, less electron migration less strain on PSU I am VERY impressed with Core 2 Duo, wich is funny because I dislike intel.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I wrote a noob Overclocking Guide for the 4xxx/6xxx and the DS3....step-by-step-by-step, including settings. PM me and I'll send it to you.

And in case you haven't realized, you'll need an aftermarket CPU heatsink. A northbridge cooler/hsf will also help if you wanna OC really high.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Ram voltage. On that board the stock V is 1.8. Most dimms are rated for 2.1 V

I leave the vcore alone, No need to up it. I dont have the cooling for raising Vc anyway as of now.

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
but I still dont get it. if you have ddr2 800 and its running at 752 why up the voltage? Thats is its stock speed.

by the way, do you think I should get a north bridge water block? I already have it on my cpu and gpu. all it has now is a heatsink. Is there a thermomiter in the north bridge like the cpu and stuff? I dont wanna fry my board but I dont know it it would bother it much at 1333 or whatever

Have you tried undervolting you vcore? maybe wouldnt work at 3.3 ghz. did you up your cpu multiplier or what?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
C2D mobos are now required to boot RAM at 1.8v, regardless of what speed, voltage, or timings. That is a current industry standard to ensure compatibility.

However, that does not meant that your 800 RAM will then perform at rated speeds. This is because IF your RAM, for example, is rated 800 @ 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v, then you will need to boost vDIMM +0.2v to get it back up to its rated specifications. It's not whether or not it's overclocked....it's whether it's running at its rated specs or not.

So, trying to run at 4-4-4-12, for example, at 1.8v may crash if it's rated at 1.9 or 2.0v.

There's your answer, hope that clears it up :)

As for northbridge block......depends on:
-how high you wanna OC
-if your loop take take the added block and flow drop
-if you don't want to use a simple air heatsink for cheap that'll do the trick
-if you want bragging rights ;)

Answer those and you'll have your course of direction.

SpeedFan AFAIK for northbridge temps......I think.