Alternative to AVG Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I've been using AVG free for a while now, and it's an excellent AV solution. It auto-updates regularly and seamlessly, it's simple to use and it just works without any hassle or being a system hog.

However, they are ditching the free version in January 2007 :(

So the question is: what do people think is the best free alternative to AVG?

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
OK, ignore the above post - after a little more digging it seems that they are still offering a free version, but I have to upgrade to version 7.5.

seo

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
In anti virus segment, i don't find any alternative to AVG. All the other programs are also equally good but they offer the paid subscriptions.

seo

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I've seen reviews in the pc world. There are many anti virus programs. the top ones are from BitDefender, Kaspersky, AVG, eTrust EZ Antivirus , Panda Titanium, McAfee Virus etc. But the only one available freeware is AVG.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
follow my other links for free anti viruses, and the reviews in pc world dont' mean crapp. from tv's, to pc's to software, I don't find one of their reviews correct or on the money.

Zyxthior

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I use AVG Free myself--however it is NOT the only freeware alternative as someone mentioned earlier.

AVG Free (I use this)
Avast Free (my best friend uses this)
AntiVir
BitDefender 8 (however there is NO background scanner for this--only on demand scanning).

But with ANY security program the best thing you can do is to 'layer' you defenses and run multiple security programs. Run a HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) to stop something from getting in the first place, and run speciallized Anti-Spyware / Anti-Trojan scanners as well to detect things you AV program may have missed (I use AVG Ant-Spyware Free and Emsisoft's A-squared Free).

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I've seen reviews in the pc world. There are many anti virus programs. the top ones are from BitDefender, Kaspersky, AVG, eTrust EZ Antivirus , Panda Titanium, McAfee Virus etc. But the only one available freeware is AVG.

BS - BitDefender has a free version, so has Avast! and AntiVir. Let google be your friend - or check this forum a bit more carefully. I use BitDefenders free on-line scan (requires IE, Active X based). It DOES remove viruses, except those that attach to system files ... in that case, scan in "safe mode with networking" - it will clean/delete them that way, but it takes up to an hour or more. I have free Avast! installed as my AV right now.

But don't say that AVG is the only free AV - that's just not correct! (and it's not the best)

See this thread: Anybody still using Avast? - especially my last post in that thread.

Zyxthior

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Gizmo over at Techsupport Alert mentions AOL's program as well. I'm hesistant (based on prior experience) to touch anything that has to do with AOL.

Excerpted from http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#3

A possible third choice is the AOL Anti Virus Shield [3]. This is a cut down version of the top rated Kaspersky AV and is being made available for free to all uses not just AOL members.

On first sight it seems like an unbeatable deal but it's not quite what it seems. First this really is a "lite" version. It lacks the important html and heuristics modules present in the full Kaspersky product so the protection afforded against hostile web sites is actually inferior to AVG and Avast!. Gone, too, is the ability to create rescue disks and to fully manage the quarantine area. The configuration options are also more limited.

Secondly the End User License Agreement is worrying. AOL basically reserves the right to spam you. I'm not aware of this actually happening but you need to be aware they have the right to do so.

By default AOL AVS installs the AOL search bar in Internet Explorer as part of the AVS install. If you don't want it, make sure you opt out during installation.

So on balance I'm cautious about recommending AOL AVS. If you can however, live with the limitations then you'll be rewarded with a first class scanner.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
what SQLXL left out and does not know is that the aol anti virus is nothing but Kaspersky Lab’s anti virus base and touched up a bit for aol ;) Active Virus Shield 6.0.0.308

none of them are as good as nod
headbangernu4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.