Panny E85 dvd recorder to hdtv question

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 12, 2004 12:45:51 PM

After trying everything I know (which may not be a lot) to improve the pq of
my Dish's 508 sat signal when viewed through my E85, I finally added an
S-Vid cable from E85 out to my hdtv and the picture looks noticeably better
than the RGB component connection. Still not quite as good as the S-Vid
that runs direct from my Dish 508 receiver to my widescreen tv but close.

Is this normal ? I have a Toshiba stand alone dvd player that's hooked to
my tv with an RGB cable to component # 1 and the dvds look great but my E85,
using the exact same type of RGB cable to component # 2 looks terrible.

WaltinVt
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:06:38 PM

I have an E100 and previously owned an E20, you shouldn't have this problem.
Try the SAME component video cable to the SAME connection to troubleshoot.

--
"Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message
> After trying everything I know (which may not be a lot) to improve the pq
> of
> my Dish's 508 sat signal when viewed through my E85 SNIP
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 12:04:45 PM

I've switched component cables and the problem is still there. The green
cable output seems to be the problem but I don't know enough about
component. This one seems to effect the contrast of the picture where the
blue & red the colors. When I slowly start to pull the green cable out the
picture deteriorates and eventually disappears. What's weird, once I did a
reset on the E85 (hold in power button) and the picture came back looking
great but didn't last very long.

It's got to be something to do with the component out put but I'm still not
sure if it's the output or a setting within the unit's setup. Wish someone
could explain all this.
Walt

"Joel Graffman" <JRGraff@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have an E100 and previously owned an E20, you shouldn't have this
>problem. Try the SAME component video cable to the SAME connection to
>troubleshoot.
>
> --
> "Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message
>> After trying everything I know (which may not be a lot) to improve the pq
>> of
>> my Dish's 508 sat signal when viewed through my E85 SNIP

November 14, 2004 7:57:53 PM

You might check the E85 setup and ensure that TV type 480P is selected.

--
> I've switched component cables and the problem is still there. The green
> cable output seems to be the problem but I don't know enough about
> component. This one seems to effect the contrast of the picture where the
> blue & red the colors. When I slowly start to pull the green cable out
> the picture deteriorates and eventually disappears. What's weird, once I
> did a reset on the E85 (hold in power button) and the picture came back
> looking great but didn't last very long.
>
> It's got to be something to do with the component out put but I'm still
> not sure if it's the output or a setting within the unit's setup. Wish
> someone could explain all this.
> Walt
>

> "Joel Graffman" <JRGraff@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>I have an E100 and previously owned an E20, you shouldn't have this
>>problem. Try the SAME component video cable to the SAME connection to
>>troubleshoot.
>>
>> --
>> "Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message
>>> After trying everything I know (which may not be a lot) to improve the
>>> pq of
>>> my Dish's 508 sat signal when viewed through my E85 SNIP

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:19:48 AM

That's the first thing I checked. It's set for 16:9, 480p.
I bought a new component cable Sunday and tried that - no help. I'm really
beginning to think the unit is defective and if it wasn't such a long drive
to take it back, I'd just try another unit but they don't even have any more
in stock anyway so I'd probably be stuck with at least two trips to the
store if they had to order a new one. I just want to be sure it's not
something else before I go through all this hassle.

> You might check the E85 setup and ensure that TV type 480P is selected.
>
> --
> "Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message
>> I've switched component cables and the problem is still there. The green
>> cable output seems to be the problem but I don't know enough about
>> component. This one seems to effect the contrast of the picture where
>> the blue & red the colors. When I slowly start to pull the green cable
>> out the picture deteriorates and eventually disappears. What's weird,
>> once I did a reset on the E85 (hold in power button) and the picture came
>> back looking great but didn't last very long.
>>
>> It's got to be something to do with the component out put but I'm still
>> not sure if it's the output or a setting within the unit's setup. Wish
>> someone could explain all this.
>> Walt
>>

>> "Joel Graffman" <JRGraff@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>I have an E100 and previously owned an E20, you shouldn't have this
>>>problem. Try the SAME component video cable to the SAME connection to
>>>troubleshoot.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Walt Mather" <waltinvt@lostinvt.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 8:51:07 AM

I agree.

> That's the first thing I checked. It's set for 16:9, 480p.
> I bought a new component cable Sunday and tried that - no help. I'm really
> beginning to think the unit is defective
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 11:31:18 AM

Please disregard my last. Apparently I misundertood your problem.

"Joel Graffman" <JRGraff@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:o Ykmd.17821$jE2.2732@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>I agree.

Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:46:28 PM

Joel,
So does that mean you don't think my E85 is defective ?

!