Photo/Movie Editing HD Configuration

ValueDriven

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I'm getting interested in digital Photo & (home) movie editing. My question concerns the HD configuration for optimized (fastest) editing. First the general setup, i.e., WHICH FILES WHERE.... and then subordinate issues following, i.e., RAID or not later, PLEASE!

FOCUS: 8O How many hard drives (physical volumes) and which files on which ones for optimum arrangement? For those that can be on a single volume, which should be separated in different partitions?

The software components necessary for movies as I understand them: 1) the OS; 2) the OS swap file; 3) the Movie Software (photo too) APPlication, (ADOBE Premiere Elements); 4) the captured video file; 5)Temporary movie work files; and 6)the saved edited movie file.

I'm building a new system of probably an E6600 CPU (or possibly 6650 or whatever it's called after 4/22), ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi MB, 2Gb OCZ ddr2 1066MHz dual channel mem (important, later 4Gb), and an EVGA 7600GT video card, running XP Pro. I don't game.

So far, all I've got is a single 150GB Raptor (16Mb cache), but would eventually like to move toward a more optimum setup.

A BTW, my current system can crank for about 5 hours to transcode an analog 8mm movie for writing to DVD! :x See sig.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'd suggest 2 storage drives, one for photos, music, docs, etc and a second for just video. I have almost 6000 photo files and around 5000 mp3 files and they take up about 62GB. Depending on money you could get by with 160GB for the Photo drive and go with a at least 320GB for the video, you could do 250GB if you're going to burn and delete. I would also put together an external hdd with at least 350GB for back up. You especially don't want to lose the photos. Once you burn a video you're alright but you want to back up the files you're working on.