32 bit or 64 bit

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
So, when windows vista is released, what is going to be the better choice to get? I do have a core 2 duo, so I can do 64 bit, but is it really going to be usable? Or are there going to be an assload of compatibility problems using 64 bit windows vista?

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Tony, do you know if there's a way to use 32 bit drivers on 64 bit Vista? I do want to move to 64 bit but obviously can't if my peripherals won't work. The two open DIMM slots on my DQ6 motherboard will at some point be filled and I'd rather do that with another 1 GB pair instead of two 512 MB. If 32 bit Vista won't "see" anything beyond 3 GB and 64 bit will, that alone would be a good enough reason to switch. My video capture card is a piece of crap anyway but I really don't need a new scanner. :(

Also, do you know if Microsoft will ship both versions on a dual layer DVD? For the betas and RCs they shipped me two single sided discs so I could opt for one or the other. I wonder if Microsoft will continue to do this with the OEM or retail versions.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
So I do need new hardware but Windows will run better, even 32 bit apps. On the other hand Fudo at the Inquirer had this to say:
A reader suggested that we should move away from the 32-bit version and so we did. But there is a consequence of going to 64-bit. First of all it is hard to find drivers. We managed to overcome this problem and installed most of our hardware but, after that, the new Battlefield and the bunch of other games didn’t want to work. Often, even if you convince the game to run, it runs in 32-bit compatibility mode, which is usually slower than running the same game on the 64-bit OS.
I guess I better stick to 32 bit for now but start planning for 64 bit.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Most games are still 32 bit although some use 64 bit patches that I imagine allow them to take advantage of the benefits of 64 bit. I'm not a gamer but do enjoy "flying" with MS Flight Simulator. I have the latest version (X) and it's 32 bit.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Yeah, 32 bit Vista is backwards compatible with XP. That doesn't mean all games are compatible but most of them should be. Check Ninja's sticky. 64 bit might give you problems as per Fudo above but like I said I'm sticking with 32 bit for now. I just hope Microsoft continues to include both versions on the DVDs.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Hm, I'm talking about the dx10 stuff though,
Flight Sim X supports DX10 but I still need a DX10 capable GPU to enjoy the full benefits. Microsoft is also developing a new mapping system to compete Google Earth that will employ DX10 and add game-like visuals to the maps. I can't wait. I'm a Geography nut.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yeah i mean of course some apps will crap out on vista, even if it's 32bit, putting x64 out of the picture, it's just like when xp first came out, but everything will evolve and compatability will come around for vista soon, so that's why we're saying if you're gonna spend the money, go for x64

Spiv

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It was my understanding that both x86 and x64 versions of Vista would be on the same DVD. Has that been changed?

To the OP: I'm running 64-bit RC1 and I have seen no real performance increases, and some of my games won't even install. The games and applications that do install are run in a 32-bit emulator, so there is a performance hit. My advice is that unless your apps are 64-bit (Half-Life 2 is, for example) and there are 64-bit drivers available for your hardware, stick with 32-bit for a while.