Windows Vista RTM (6.0.6000) Remote Desktop broken?

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Build 6000 is the first one I have tried, so not sure if this was in earlier versions....

I have two networks on my computer. One is an internal network in the 10.x.x.x range, one is an external network with an public static IP. (I have a /29 block from my ISP).

Windows firewall is disabled, the Vista PC is set to accept connections from any version of Remote Desktop. Port forwarding and NAT is not an issue as I dont use either.

No matter if I try to connect from a Vista PC on the 10.x.x.x side or an XP PC from the internet side, I get a "could not connect to the remote computer error".

Like I say, I know port forwarding is not an issue as I have a block of 8 IPs from my ISP and one of these is mapped to the computer.

Anybody gotten this to work?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
RDP uses port 3389, make sure this port is open on all end to end connections

if you wonna rule out the isp, put a cross over cable between vista and another station and see if they can first ping each other, then go for the rdp test

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
RDP uses port 3389, make sure this port is open on all end to end connections

if you wonna rule out the isp, put a cross over cable between vista and another station and see if they can first ping each other, then go for the rdp test

I've already said that the servers internet connection has a /29 subnet of 8 IPs and the server has its own internet IP. There are no port forwarding issues.

I have also stated that I have also tried via the other network connection on the computer in the 10.x.x.x range.

There are no firewalls in place on either connection.

RDP works fine if the server runs WinXP (it is set to dual-boot) so the ports must be being forwarded fine and RDP isnt being blocked.

The Router is a Cisco 837. The NICs used in the server are the standard Marvell Yukon PCIe GbE adaptors on the P5W DH mobo.

The Server has full Internet and LAN connectivity, file and printer sharing etc all work fine.

Without remote desktop, I'm back to using WinXP for now :(