KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
My hard drives all power down around 5 minutes after last being accessed. They do power back up when accessed again but then power back down.

I just recently built a new system using an ASUS M2N-Sli Deluxe, X2 5600+, 2GB Patriot low latency DDR2-6400, EVGA 7950GT, Coolmax 500w PSU, XP Professional SP2. All drivers as far as I can tell are updated as current.

The boot drive, in SATA1 slot, is a new Seagate 320GB SATA3gb/sec and in SATA2 is a Sony/NEC Optiarc SATA DVD burner, SATA3 is a Maxtor SATA 1.5gb/sec 250gb drive and then on the on board IDE controller I have 2 older Maxtor drives. I have the RAID controller disabled currently but the problem occurs either way. I have changed the power saving setting in control panel to everything from always on to 5 hour shut off and they still spin down after a few minutes. The fact that they do this pretty much ruins the benefits of the rest of the system.

Is this a known issue or has anyone had a similar problem?

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
That's just another way to get to the same Power Option Properties in the control panel. The hard drives are powering down independently of whatever I set there.