Decoding running processes

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Getting ready to do some upgrades with memory and a new processor on my ASUS A8V and wanting to cleanup my system first. According to Windows Task manager, I've got 60 processes running right now.

I use Norton Systemworks and know how to disable that. The problem is all the other garbage that keeps trying to start on every reboot. HP starts their complete scanning and printer crap, AOL runs their stuff, and who knows what else is going on. I also unplug my modem before the restarts.

What's a good program to help me decide what to disable and how? Hijackthis tells me all the processes but I don't know what I can shut off. Is Win tasks pro5 a good program for this?

I'm just trying to clean everything up before going through all the bios changes and multiple restarts. Don't want to necessarily go through the trouble of a fresh install of XP because of all the driver and configuration updates needed.

If this has been discussed in depth before, please feel free to direct me to the appropriate link.

Thanks

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
you can use system mechanic to do all the jobs in your pc.
also u can configure your starup items.
also you can go throw this procces
start > run > msconfig /start up

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks

I also just discovered Microsoft Process explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx
It should give me the info I need. At least it tells me what programs are using the threads. Thanks for the tip on msconfig, I forgot about that.

I'm not sure System Mechanic does much more than what I can do the XP tools and Norton but thanks anyway.

Realistically, probably best to reformat and reinstall XP anyway. Just don't like the idea of having to reload all those driver updates, set up raid array again, and reconfigure my network. Was hoping I could get away with something easier. New dual core processor and new memory sticks will probably mess everything up anyway so might as well prepare for the worse.

That brings up another question. If I install the AMD dual core driver, where does it reside? Seems like it won't do me any good with a fresh install unless it's in the bios. Or does it matter? Guess I don't fully understand what it does!