New Build - Opinion and help please...

My new build, which I've nearly locked down now after weeks of deliberating and changing:

ASUS P5B Deluxe WIFI (£104) (Ebuyer)
Core 2 Duo E6420 (£111) (Ebuyer)
Connect3D Radeon X1950XT (£137) (Ebuyer)
Corsair (TWIN2X2048-6400) XMS2-6400 2048MB 5-5-5-12 2X240 DIMM Black XMS2 Heat Spreader (£97) (Microdirect)
Coolermaster 600W PSU (£57) (Ebuyer)
TOTAL = £506
(I'm trying to keep close to £500)

I'm looking to keep the following components of my current (AGP based) system:
Viewsonic VP2030b Monitor
Jeantech Phong Case
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Hard Drive
Pioneer DVR-111DSV DVD writer
ASUS 52x CD burner
Creative X-FI Gamer Sound Card

Is there anything here you'd do differently?

Thank you!
26 answers Last reply
More about build opinion please
  1. i would go with a higher power supply around 600w.

personally like like nvidia better =]

also i don't like the motherboard but that just my preference this is only $119.99 U.S. and is 650i Sli http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130082

if you get a different mobo then of course grab a different graphics card

but the rest looks fine =].
  2. Thanks for your comments GoldenRiver.

I ran the new system spec through the wattage calculator (Here) and it came back with less than 350W required.
    Is there a benefit for spending more on a 600W PSU on my build? I know that if I went SLI/Crossfire in the future I'd need to up my power, but I'm not looking to do that really.

There's a lot of debate on Nvidia / ATI! From my research, the X1950 XT looks to beat the Nvidia cards at around the same price (< £150). I know that it's not DX10 compatible, but I'd need to spend a lot more to get a DX10 card now - I'm more inclined to focus on the best I can for DX9 for the money, knowing that I'll upgrade to a DX10 card next year once there are more games out for it, etc.

Any further thoughts please?

Thank you!
  3. Do you need the WiFi part of the MoBo, as it is a real high cost add-in. You can get a pci wifi card here for $13 so might check it out. Also seems high for Ram but not sure of what is out there on your side of the pond.
  4. Quote:
    ..I ran the new system spec through the wattage calculator (Here) and it came back with less than 350W required.
    Is there a benefit for spending more on a 600W PSU on my build? I know that if I went SLI/Crossfire in the future I'd need to up my power, but I'm not looking to do that really...
    You really should up the available power. You used a fine engineering process to determine the exact power needs, but did not use the fine engineering practice of adding a safety factor. The brand of psu is fine, just go up to the next level. Modular cables models add cost with no benefit beyond clean appearance and slightly easier install.
  5. The power supply you've got listed should be fine, it'll handle that system.

I don't know how prices work over there but the board seems kind of expensive, though it is a good board. Check the price on the Gigabyte 965P DS3 though.

Also, will you be overclocking?
  6. That model is a good PSU on the chart. Tier 2 which is good for the price, if you want better one you would have to double the cost. Unless you plan on using a DX-10 cars like an 8800, it will do fine.
  7. I'm not needing the Wi-fi function on the board, so that's not a reason for going for a certain board.
    Similarly I have an XFI sound card already, so am not fussed about on-board sound.
    I must be honest, I was swayed towards this mainly from the review in the labs on CustomPC - the Core2 Lab results, in which they were extremely complimentary about the Asus board (over the Gigabyte one for example).

The Gigabyte one is cheap, but doesn't seem to have the features of the ASUS board.

I am going to do some (minor) overclocking; hence my aim for a 965P board and the E6300 chip.

I may look at going up to the next level on the PSU following your advice. Maybe the Coolermaster 600W one at £63 would be a better investment (Here).

Any further thoughts please?
  8. Quote:
    ...I am going to do some (minor) overclocking; hence my aim for a 965P board and the E6300 chip...
    Most any non-Intel brand P965 board will work just fine for mild overclocking.

Quote:
    ...I may look at going up to the next level on the PSU following your advice. Maybe the Coolermaster 600W one at £63 would be a better investment (Here)...
    Good choice.
  9. While the wattage of your PSU may be sufficient, the Amps on the 12 volt rail are VERY important to consider.

Today's GPU draw lots of power and deliver eye candy. This comes at a cost. Make sure your PSU of choice is delivering close to or more than 20 Amps on the 12 volt rail. PSU that supply that power are more expensive, but if you game, you will be rewarded with better hardware performance. :D
  10. Quote:
    Make sure your PSU of choice is delivering close to or more than 20 Amps on the 12 volt rail. PSU that supply that power are more expensive, but if you game, you will be rewarded with better hardware performance. :D

You'll want more than 20 amps for a x1950XT. 20 amps isn't much in a system with a modern decent card. And the original power supply he listed was more than sufficient at a combined 40 amp-ish, if I recall correctly.

They're really not that expensive. And more power doesn't give better performance unless the power is insufficient in which case the machine will throttle down or not work at all.
  11. Quote:
    While the wattage of your PSU may be sufficient, the Amps on the 12 volt rail are VERY important to consider.

Today's GPU draw lots of power and deliver eye candy. This comes at a cost. Make sure your PSU of choice is delivering close to or more than 20 Amps on the 12 volt rail. PSU that supply that power are more expensive, but if you game, you will be rewarded with better hardware performance. :D
    Well gee, look it up. Them amps are ample on that there power supply...
  12. I've updated my original post to reflect the new choice of PSU as discussed.

Are there any further views please on this build?
  13. Any help please?

I'm wondering if it would be worth me adding some cooling:
    * GPU cooling - e.g. Zalman VF900-CU £18
    * CPU cooling - e.g. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro £16

Is it worth it now, or should I hold off and see how hot it gets once I have everything else installed?

Thank you!
  14. I would wait.
    Additional cooling should not be needed unless you Overclock.
    You may want to tweak for noise purposes.
    Why buy now when you don't know what you really need?
    The stock coolers work just fine.
  15. Thanks Newf - I'll stick with the stock coolers unless I run into problems.

I have slightly changed a couple of items in my proposed system at the top (E6300 --> E6320 is key).

Can I please have people's opinions on this?

Thank you!
  16. Other than changing maybe the motherboard to the DS3 or something like it, it looks good to me. I'm not an expert, but it looks like you have done some good research. Good luck with the build!
  17. This board is almost identical to the WiFi version, only $14 dollars cheaper but it will do the same thing
    ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965
  18. Thanks guys.

I had looked for the 'non-WiFi' version of the Asus board, but couldn't find it anywhere in the UK.

I have this list of similar motherboards on a UK site Ebuyer. Would you mind taking a look here and letting me know if any of these are the one you directed me to on newegg? I can see a P5B but it's not the deluxe one!

It's not too much of a problem if it's not there - the difference of $14 you mentioned is less than £7 these days :)

Many thanks!
  19. according to Asus UK, they make the deluxe for you, but yes I did not see it, first step down would be the P5B E which is £18 less
  20. Thanks - I'll take a look and do some research on that one...!
  21. I've updated my CPU to the E6420 from the E6320 as it is faster! I'm not convinced that it's a good investment of money though to be honest; I'd rather save the money unless you all think it's a worthwhile increase (£126 vs £111).
    For gaming would I really notice the difference? (NWN2, Oblivion, BF2142, etc) :?

I couldn't find the "non-WiFi" motherboard for sale in the UK, so am sticking with the Wifi one. :(

I'm looking to buy in the next day or two, so all opinions on the processor and everything else welcome please!!!
  22. Opinions please - I'm looking to buy in the next day or two!

Thank you!
  23. Looks good to me, not sure what all this power supply fuss is about. My system likely uses more power than yours (same graphics card but a power hungry althon fx-60) and i run it with plenty of perphirals on a 460W supply. Never had any trouble. As someone stated amperage is more important and stability so go with the best brand you can afford.

Just for information a quad core and 2 8800gtx's sli'd with all the usual stuff inc 4xhdd can be run 24/7 on a good 550W supply with no trouble. If anyone is interested i'll find the link
  24. Thanks for your comments.

I hear what you're saying on the power supply, but I'll probably stick with this 600w one. It is a good make, and should see me for a while in case I decide to go Crossfire or get more power hungry components in the future.

Thanks!
  25. just to let u know im ordering my pc from ebuyer. if you order each part separate and use the google checkout offer you can end up saving a lot
  26. That's an excellent idea - thank you - you've saved me money!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt New Build Systems Product