Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Humanistic news story of the week

Last response: in News & Leisure
December 20, 2010 11:33:12 AM

To touch on this story...

For those that do not know me I grew up in a religion that was basically an offshoot of Judaism. I can quote the old testament with the best of them. As I learned in my religious classes the Muslims have a term which means "people of the book". Much to my surprise, there is even a wiki on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_the_Book

Quote:
People of the Book...is a term used to designate non-Muslim adherents to faiths which have a book of prayer. The three faiths that are mentioned in the Qur'an as people of the book are Judaism, Sabians and Christianity. However, many Muslim rulers and scholars have also included other religions such as Zoroastrianism and Hinduism.

According to my college professors the Qur'an states that Muslims MUST carry the word of God to all people. Those who will not "turn" must be killed. But it also states that those who already are "people of the book" already believe in God, and no harm shall come to them. I can not express how much I am saddened by the fact that Jews and Muslims can't find peace between them. They/we both believe in the God of Abraham as being the one true God. Certainly there should be no blood shed between them. For those who follow the "book" and are not extremest, they should not be surprised that Muslims sheltered Jews. We are but brothers.

I realize that there is no story in this post, but I feel this is a message that should get out more. My apologies for turning this religious.

Edited for spelling/capitalization.
December 20, 2010 1:07:42 PM

I liked the point you made ... its a pity everyone can't get along.

No apology needed.

Related resources
December 21, 2010 3:33:58 AM

Indeed, great story and quite accurate. I recall reading about this a few years back. Regardless of religion, race, creed, etc..., there are indeed good people out there who do the right thing simply out of compassion for their fellow man.
December 30, 2010 12:23:19 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:
People of the Book...is a term used to designate non-Muslim adherents to faiths which have a book of prayer. The three faiths that are mentioned in the Qur'an as people of the book are Judaism, Sabians and Christianity. However, many Muslim rulers and scholars have also included other religions such as Zoroastrianism and Hinduism.

According to my college professors the Qur'an states that Muslims MUST carry the word of God to all people. Those who will not "turn" must be killed. But it also states that those who already are "people of the book" already believe in God, and no harm shall come to them.

Not quite. The Quran also states that the Jews are the descendants of apes and pigs. And as long as the Jews and Christians accept dhimmitude - second class status - under Islam, that is true. Otherwise, we must be conquered and killed, even if we are "People of the Book".
December 30, 2010 3:23:25 PM

Never read the Quran so I honestly have no idea. Simply going with what my college professor said. I suppose he may have missed that part, I know a bit about your background and believe what you say.
December 31, 2010 12:38:53 AM

Cricket shall become the new world religion ...
December 31, 2010 12:46:42 AM

HA HA, your funny.
September 12, 2011 3:27:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
!