Choosing: Sams 171P / 181T / ViewS VX700 / VG700

Limpsi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
I've been reading the product specs and reviews of flat panels for quite some time already and have ended up with such finalists

Samsung 181T
Samsung 171P
ViewSonic VX700
ViewSonic VG700

Reading the latest Tom's Harware guide I kind of get a feeling that I should remove VX700 from the list?!? Also, there doesn't seem to be much written about VG700 (is it available?) - is it likely that VG700 has the similar drawbacks than VX700 (showing better performance indicators than it in reality can produce)?

How about the 181T and 171P? The latter is 15% cheaper and 1'' smaller, but is there any difference in performance?

Is there something else that I should add to my finalists list? In our country (Estonia) we have easier access to bigger brands - haven't seen for example things like Solarism or Aizo here.

My needs and preferences: design matters a lot, otherwise I need all-around display - office, some gaiming, and some dvd

dodd444

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I'm in the same boat you are with respect to my trying to choose a 15" LCD. My finalists are Samsung 151p, Eizo L365, Viewsonic VX500, and now, I'n just run across an apparently brand new Sharp, the LL-T1520 (the 15 is the screen size; just substitute 16 and 18 for the fifteen to check the 16 and 18 inch versions). Attach whatever credibility you want to it, but, according to the release from Sharp, this new series is supposed to be super duper, and the prices are pretty much the same as the other upper end LCD's.

What I've read about the 171P is quite positive, and, it certainly looks real nice.

Why don't you go to google, or some other search engine, and type in samsung +171p to find out more about your choices.

As for me, now I'm quite curious about the Sharp's which I ran across for the first time yesterday.

Limpsi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
True, there are plenty of reviews about both of these Samsungs. Just it's a bit harder to find reviews about ViewSonic - and this makes me a bit more cautious with them . . .

And indeed, the premium line of Sharps has quite good indicators and nice design. I'll definately have look at it!