DirectX 9 Issue??

Last response: in Video Games
August 25, 2004 12:52:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.graphics,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hello, All:

Are there problems with DirectX version 9?? What are the differences
between the "b" and "c" versions??

I ask because I wonder if having installed DirectX 9 was a bad
idea....

I have two laptops, one with a P-M @ 1.5 GHz, 1 GB system RAM, and an
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB on DirectX 9b. The other is a
PIII-M @ 1 GHz, with 512 MB system RAM, and a "regular" ATI Mobility
Radeon with 64MB that used to run DirectX 8.1 but now does version 9c.

Codemaster's "Operation: Flashpoint" isn't running on the new laptop
with the ATI MR 9700. I hear sounds, but there's no display...it's
just a green screen!

Also on the new laptop, Valusoft's "Hard Truck 2" gets me to the
opening screen with the main menu, and is just stuck there. I have to
press ALT+CRTL+DEL ***REPEATEDLY*** (like twenty times!!!) to get out
of it (no, ALT+F4 doesn't work).

What gives??

The old laptop runs "Operation: Flashpoint" on DirectX 9c. But it
will not run "Hard Truck 2" now (same symptoms), even though it did
before on DirectX 8.1!

My ATI driver on the new laptop (with the MR 9700) seems current, as
it is dated Nov. 2003, so I don't think it's the ATI driver, right?

Can anyone please advise?? This stuff is just really frustrating...I
mean, I'm no Luddite, but computers are just so...ugh!!!

TIA!

More about : directx issue

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:02:38 PM

"Left Hand of Empire" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, All:
>
> Are there problems with DirectX version 9?? What are the differences
> between the "b" and "c" versions??
>
> I ask because I wonder if having installed DirectX 9 was a bad
> idea....
>
> I have two laptops, one with a P-M @ 1.5 GHz, 1 GB system RAM, and an
> ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB on DirectX 9b. The other is a
> PIII-M @ 1 GHz, with 512 MB system RAM, and a "regular" ATI Mobility
> Radeon with 64MB that used to run DirectX 8.1 but now does version 9c.
>
> Codemaster's "Operation: Flashpoint" isn't running on the new laptop
> with the ATI MR 9700. I hear sounds, but there's no display...it's
> just a green screen!
>
> Also on the new laptop, Valusoft's "Hard Truck 2" gets me to the
> opening screen with the main menu, and is just stuck there. I have to
> press ALT+CRTL+DEL ***REPEATEDLY*** (like twenty times!!!) to get out
> of it (no, ALT+F4 doesn't work).
>
> What gives??
>
> The old laptop runs "Operation: Flashpoint" on DirectX 9c. But it
> will not run "Hard Truck 2" now (same symptoms), even though it did
> before on DirectX 8.1!
>
> My ATI driver on the new laptop (with the MR 9700) seems current, as
> it is dated Nov. 2003, so I don't think it's the ATI driver, right?
>
> Can anyone please advise?? This stuff is just really frustrating...I
> mean, I'm no Luddite, but computers are just so...ugh!!!
>

> TIA!

Re: OFP.

Did you try running OFP Preferences, if the autodetect didn't help try
turning all the settings down.

--
Kango <TZW>
August 25, 2004 11:24:38 PM

5 posts... crossposted... I could give you the answer, but now I'm not so
inclined :p

In any case, check the Avon lady faq.

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

Bjørn Halvor Bergtun wrote:

> What he should have done, -was to set an X-FUT

ehh... make that an 'XFUT'

--
mvh / Regards
Bjørn Halvor Bergtun / Xenu <TZW>

<Liddle Feesh> wrote in message news:<412cd977$0$95768$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
> 5 posts... crossposted... I could give you the answer, but now I'm not so
> inclined :p
>
> In any case, check the Avon lady faq.

Sorry, I x-posted 'cause I was asking about graphics on laptops for
"OFP," so I thought all the NGs relevant....

Thanks for the tip, though.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 11:09:21 AM

Hey thanks for the refs -- but why should I have known to look at
theavonlady.org?? Never even heard of the site 'til now....

"NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<a5667$412cf588$3e3aefe0$1538@news1.zonnet.nl>...
> I don't have all those newsgroups, as have many others.. We'll probably see
> many replies from people who don't know Flashpoint at all. My message failed
> the first time since my newsreader didn't know those :-)
>

> 1 single check on Avons would have revealed the problem.
> http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenscree...
> http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greensky.h...
> http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenskyno...
> http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/menugreen....
> http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/whiteterra...
>
> etc etc etc...
>
> --
> -
> Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> -
> A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of the
> lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing through
> the minds of either.
> -
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 10:08:42 PM

Why not google a bit before you join a NG ?
It's very common to check the NG history with google, since your question
will probably be asked many times before, and answered :-) Saves you waiting
for hours on an answer LOL.
That's what google is for, and that's what a FAQ is for ;-)

AL's FAQ is mentioned many many times, and is the *best* way to look for
*anything* about OFP ... Or in other words, if you haven't seen Avon's, you
haven't seen OFP :-)

--
-
"Left Hand of Empire" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Hey thanks for the refs -- but why should I have known to look at
> theavonlady.org?? Never even heard of the site 'til now....
>

> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > I don't have all those newsgroups, as have many others.. We'll probably
see
> > many replies from people who don't know Flashpoint at all. My message
failed
> > the first time since my newsreader didn't know those :-)
> >

> > 1 single check on Avons would have revealed the problem.
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenscree...
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greensky.h...
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenskyno...
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/menugreen....
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/whiteterra...
> >
> > etc etc etc...
> >
> > --
> > -
> > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> > -
> > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
the
> > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
through
> > the minds of either.
> > -
August 27, 2004 2:10:57 AM

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...

simple search for OFP and FAQ

anyways..........HI!

TJ

"Left Hand of Empire" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey thanks for the refs -- but why should I have known to look at
> theavonlady.org?? Never even heard of the site 'til now....
>

> "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > I don't have all those newsgroups, as have many others.. We'll probably
see
> > many replies from people who don't know Flashpoint at all. My message
failed
> > the first time since my newsreader didn't know those :-)
> >

> > 1 single check on Avons would have revealed the problem.
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenscree...
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greensky.h...
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenskyno...
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/menugreen....
> > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/whiteterra...
> >
> > etc etc etc...
> >
> > --
> > -
> > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
> > -
> > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
the
> > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
through
> > the minds of either.
> > -
August 27, 2004 4:06:37 AM

> <Liddle Feesh> wrote in message
> > 5 posts... crossposted... I could give you the answer, but now I'm not
so
> > inclined :p
> >
> > In any case, check the Avon lady faq.
>

> Sorry, I x-posted 'cause I was asking about graphics on laptops for
> "OFP," so I thought all the NGs relevant....
>

> Thanks for the tip, though.

np. Someone had already given you your answer.

The Avon faq is superb.

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

"TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message news:<1093554136.12005.0@eunomia.uk.clara.net>...
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...
>
> simple search for OFP and FAQ
>
> anyways..........HI!
>
> TJ

Okay, fellas, thanks...it's just that me and search engines don't seem
to get along...but I did check Codemasters' own website and forums,
though! I guess I just kinda got frustrated by that....

Sorry -- and thanks! I think I'll just use that DX9 Uninstaller for
WinXP and go back to DX8.1....
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 10:13:53 AM

"Bjørn Halvor Bergtun" <ask-me@online.nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<rO4Xc.3211$WW4.44826@news4.e.nsc.no>...
> Bjørn Halvor Bergtun wrote:
>
> > What he should have done, -was to set an X-FUT
>
> ehh... make that an 'XFUT'

Sorry, I promise I'll go read "The Internet for Dummies" one day soon,
but for now, this is all I know how to do! =\
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:01:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.graphics,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hey, y'all:

Just thought I'd follow up, as a kind of courtesy for those who took
the time to respond, on my "Operation: Flashpoint" not running,
getting the green screen, etc.

Well, it seems that it was all DX9's fault! Yup, I ran that freely
available DirectX Uninstaller (thanks, whoever you are that made it!)
and restored things to DX 8.1 and have had no issues.

***EXCEPT*** that if I enable, in OFP's setup program, Hardware
Transform and Lighting, I get this really weird experience: most of
characters' bodies are missing! "Missing" as in "not rendered," like
the Invisible Man wearing some clothes, if you can imagine what I
mean. You see part of the uniform (just some, really), and the
weapons fully, running around as if animated by ghosts....

Anyway, just plain bizzare! Now even though my ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 doesn't support DX9 -- and the card is listed as being "DX9
compliant," if not "compatible" or "supported" -- I don't see why that
should have an effect....
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 7:34:53 PM

Left Hand of Empire wrote:

> Hey, y'all:
>
> Just thought I'd follow up, as a kind of courtesy for those who took
> the time to respond, on my "Operation: Flashpoint" not running,
> getting the green screen, etc.
>
> Well, it seems that it was all DX9's fault! Yup, I ran that freely
> available DirectX Uninstaller (thanks, whoever you are that made it!)
> and restored things to DX 8.1 and have had no issues.
>
> ***EXCEPT*** that if I enable, in OFP's setup program, Hardware
> Transform and Lighting, I get this really weird experience: most of
> characters' bodies are missing! "Missing" as in "not rendered," like
> the Invisible Man wearing some clothes, if you can imagine what I
> mean. You see part of the uniform (just some, really), and the
> weapons fully, running around as if animated by ghosts....
>
> Anyway, just plain bizzare! Now even though my ATI Mobility Radeon
> 9700 doesn't support DX9 -- and the card is listed as being "DX9
> compliant," if not "compatible" or "supported" -- I don't see why that
> should have an effect....

I would say it is atis fault as i never had those problems using nvidia
cards. And looking at atis linux drivers (this driver will work only
with xfree v4.3, and this one only with xfree v4.2 and none of them
with not so new anymore xorg v6.8) and comparing those to nvidias (all
drivers will work with ANY version of xfree) i would say that it is a
typical problem of mixing different programming layers that you should
not mix.
cu,

Markus
!