DirectX 9 Issue??

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.graphics,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hello, All:

Are there problems with DirectX version 9?? What are the differences
between the "b" and "c" versions??

I ask because I wonder if having installed DirectX 9 was a bad
idea....

I have two laptops, one with a P-M @ 1.5 GHz, 1 GB system RAM, and an
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB on DirectX 9b. The other is a
PIII-M @ 1 GHz, with 512 MB system RAM, and a "regular" ATI Mobility
Radeon with 64MB that used to run DirectX 8.1 but now does version 9c.

Codemaster's "Operation: Flashpoint" isn't running on the new laptop
with the ATI MR 9700. I hear sounds, but there's no display...it's
just a green screen!

Also on the new laptop, Valusoft's "Hard Truck 2" gets me to the
opening screen with the main menu, and is just stuck there. I have to
press ALT+CRTL+DEL ***REPEATEDLY*** (like twenty times!!!) to get out
of it (no, ALT+F4 doesn't work).

What gives??

The old laptop runs "Operation: Flashpoint" on DirectX 9c. But it
will not run "Hard Truck 2" now (same symptoms), even though it did
before on DirectX 8.1!

My ATI driver on the new laptop (with the MR 9700) seems current, as
it is dated Nov. 2003, so I don't think it's the ATI driver, right?

Can anyone please advise?? This stuff is just really frustrating...I
mean, I'm no Luddite, but computers are just so...ugh!!!

TIA!
12 answers Last reply
More about directx issue
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Left Hand of Empire" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, All:
    >
    > Are there problems with DirectX version 9?? What are the differences
    > between the "b" and "c" versions??
    >
    > I ask because I wonder if having installed DirectX 9 was a bad
    > idea....
    >
    > I have two laptops, one with a P-M @ 1.5 GHz, 1 GB system RAM, and an
    > ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB on DirectX 9b. The other is a
    > PIII-M @ 1 GHz, with 512 MB system RAM, and a "regular" ATI Mobility
    > Radeon with 64MB that used to run DirectX 8.1 but now does version 9c.
    >
    > Codemaster's "Operation: Flashpoint" isn't running on the new laptop
    > with the ATI MR 9700. I hear sounds, but there's no display...it's
    > just a green screen!
    >
    > Also on the new laptop, Valusoft's "Hard Truck 2" gets me to the
    > opening screen with the main menu, and is just stuck there. I have to
    > press ALT+CRTL+DEL ***REPEATEDLY*** (like twenty times!!!) to get out
    > of it (no, ALT+F4 doesn't work).
    >
    > What gives??
    >
    > The old laptop runs "Operation: Flashpoint" on DirectX 9c. But it
    > will not run "Hard Truck 2" now (same symptoms), even though it did
    > before on DirectX 8.1!
    >
    > My ATI driver on the new laptop (with the MR 9700) seems current, as
    > it is dated Nov. 2003, so I don't think it's the ATI driver, right?
    >
    > Can anyone please advise?? This stuff is just really frustrating...I
    > mean, I'm no Luddite, but computers are just so...ugh!!!
    >

    > TIA!

    Re: OFP.

    Did you try running OFP Preferences, if the autodetect didn't help try
    turning all the settings down.

    --
    Kango <TZW>
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    5 posts... crossposted... I could give you the answer, but now I'm not so
    inclined :P

    In any case, check the Avon lady faq.

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*

    Bjørn Halvor Bergtun wrote:

    > What he should have done, -was to set an X-FUT

    ehh... make that an 'XFUT'

    --
    mvh / Regards
    Bjørn Halvor Bergtun / Xenu <TZW>

    <Liddle Feesh> wrote in message news:<412cd977$0$95768$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
    > 5 posts... crossposted... I could give you the answer, but now I'm not so
    > inclined :P
    >
    > In any case, check the Avon lady faq.

    Sorry, I x-posted 'cause I was asking about graphics on laptops for
    "OFP," so I thought all the NGs relevant....

    Thanks for the tip, though.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Hey thanks for the refs -- but why should I have known to look at
    theavonlady.org?? Never even heard of the site 'til now....

    "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<a5667$412cf588$3e3aefe0$1538@news1.zonnet.nl>...
    > I don't have all those newsgroups, as have many others.. We'll probably see
    > many replies from people who don't know Flashpoint at all. My message failed
    > the first time since my newsreader didn't know those :-)
    >

    > 1 single check on Avons would have revealed the problem.
    > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenscreen.htm
    > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greensky.htm
    > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenskynotext.htm
    > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/menugreen.htm
    > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/whiteterrain.htm
    >
    > etc etc etc...
    >
    > --
    > -
    > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > -
    > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of the
    > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing through
    > the minds of either.
    > -
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Why not google a bit before you join a NG ?
    It's very common to check the NG history with google, since your question
    will probably be asked many times before, and answered :-) Saves you waiting
    for hours on an answer LOL.
    That's what google is for, and that's what a FAQ is for ;-)

    AL's FAQ is mentioned many many times, and is the *best* way to look for
    *anything* about OFP ... Or in other words, if you haven't seen Avon's, you
    haven't seen OFP :-)

    --
    -
    "Left Hand of Empire" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hey thanks for the refs -- but why should I have known to look at
    > theavonlady.org?? Never even heard of the site 'til now....
    >

    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't have all those newsgroups, as have many others.. We'll probably
    see
    > > many replies from people who don't know Flashpoint at all. My message
    failed
    > > the first time since my newsreader didn't know those :-)
    > >

    > > 1 single check on Avons would have revealed the problem.
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenscreen.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greensky.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenskynotext.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/menugreen.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/whiteterrain.htm
    > >
    > > etc etc etc...
    > >
    > > --
    > > -
    > > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > > -
    > > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    the
    > > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    through
    > > the minds of either.
    > > -
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=ofp+faq

    simple search for OFP and FAQ

    anyways..........HI!

    TJ

    "Left Hand of Empire" <jack_foreigner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hey thanks for the refs -- but why should I have known to look at
    > theavonlady.org?? Never even heard of the site 'til now....
    >

    > "NedFox <TZW>" <neddy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't have all those newsgroups, as have many others.. We'll probably
    see
    > > many replies from people who don't know Flashpoint at all. My message
    failed
    > > the first time since my newsreader didn't know those :-)
    > >

    > > 1 single check on Avons would have revealed the problem.
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenscreen.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greensky.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/greenskynotext.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/menugreen.htm
    > > http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/trouble/whiteterrain.htm
    > >
    > > etc etc etc...
    > >
    > > --
    > > -
    > > Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
    > > -
    > > A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of
    the
    > > lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing
    through
    > > the minds of either.
    > > -
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > <Liddle Feesh> wrote in message
    > > 5 posts... crossposted... I could give you the answer, but now I'm not
    so
    > > inclined :P
    > >
    > > In any case, check the Avon lady faq.
    >

    > Sorry, I x-posted 'cause I was asking about graphics on laptops for
    > "OFP," so I thought all the NGs relevant....
    >

    > Thanks for the tip, though.

    np. Someone had already given you your answer.

    The Avon faq is superb.

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message news:<1093554136.12005.0@eunomia.uk.clara.net>...
    > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=ofp+faq
    >
    > simple search for OFP and FAQ
    >
    > anyways..........HI!
    >
    > TJ

    Okay, fellas, thanks...it's just that me and search engines don't seem
    to get along...but I did check Codemasters' own website and forums,
    though! I guess I just kinda got frustrated by that....

    Sorry -- and thanks! I think I'll just use that DX9 Uninstaller for
    WinXP and go back to DX8.1....
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Bjørn Halvor Bergtun" <ask-me@online.nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<rO4Xc.3211$WW4.44826@news4.e.nsc.no>...
    > Bjørn Halvor Bergtun wrote:
    >
    > > What he should have done, -was to set an X-FUT
    >
    > ehh... make that an 'XFUT'

    Sorry, I promise I'll go read "The Internet for Dummies" one day soon,
    but for now, this is all I know how to do! =\
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.graphics,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hey, y'all:

    Just thought I'd follow up, as a kind of courtesy for those who took
    the time to respond, on my "Operation: Flashpoint" not running,
    getting the green screen, etc.

    Well, it seems that it was all DX9's fault! Yup, I ran that freely
    available DirectX Uninstaller (thanks, whoever you are that made it!)
    and restored things to DX 8.1 and have had no issues.

    ***EXCEPT*** that if I enable, in OFP's setup program, Hardware
    Transform and Lighting, I get this really weird experience: most of
    characters' bodies are missing! "Missing" as in "not rendered," like
    the Invisible Man wearing some clothes, if you can imagine what I
    mean. You see part of the uniform (just some, really), and the
    weapons fully, running around as if animated by ghosts....

    Anyway, just plain bizzare! Now even though my ATI Mobility Radeon
    9700 doesn't support DX9 -- and the card is listed as being "DX9
    compliant," if not "compatible" or "supported" -- I don't see why that
    should have an effect....
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.graphics,alt.os.windows.xp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Left Hand of Empire wrote:

    > Hey, y'all:
    >
    > Just thought I'd follow up, as a kind of courtesy for those who took
    > the time to respond, on my "Operation: Flashpoint" not running,
    > getting the green screen, etc.
    >
    > Well, it seems that it was all DX9's fault! Yup, I ran that freely
    > available DirectX Uninstaller (thanks, whoever you are that made it!)
    > and restored things to DX 8.1 and have had no issues.
    >
    > ***EXCEPT*** that if I enable, in OFP's setup program, Hardware
    > Transform and Lighting, I get this really weird experience: most of
    > characters' bodies are missing! "Missing" as in "not rendered," like
    > the Invisible Man wearing some clothes, if you can imagine what I
    > mean. You see part of the uniform (just some, really), and the
    > weapons fully, running around as if animated by ghosts....
    >
    > Anyway, just plain bizzare! Now even though my ATI Mobility Radeon
    > 9700 doesn't support DX9 -- and the card is listed as being "DX9
    > compliant," if not "compatible" or "supported" -- I don't see why that
    > should have an effect....

    I would say it is atis fault as i never had those problems using nvidia
    cards. And looking at atis linux drivers (this driver will work only
    with xfree v4.3, and this one only with xfree v4.2 and none of them
    with not so new anymore xorg v6.8) and comparing those to nvidias (all
    drivers will work with ANY version of xfree) i would say that it is a
    typical problem of mixing different programming layers that you should
    not mix.
    cu,

    Markus

Directx ATI Video Games