weblogik

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I just got a new laptop with xp media center, it's pretty top of the line and everything is pretty smooth EXCEPT...

the damn clock doesnt work! I can update (most of the time , sometimes it gives errors) manually, but then usually within a half hour it's running behind, and if not updated manually each time it almost always gives a wrong time...

I have read before that often this means a faulty battery taking a crap, but this thing is less then a week old...

I have tried looking for bug fixes, had no luck, but i dont really know where to look anyways, so any suggestions are appreciated, right now i have downloaed a program Atomic Clock sync thats puts an icon next to the clock, and when i want to know the time i right click on it, select ping and it updates the time, not a real big deal but it is annoying , anyone have any idea???

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
bios/cmos battery symptoms you're referring to would be more like every time you turn on the machine the time and date would be reset

but if it's just out of sync, make sure the time and date in your system's bios is actually correct

then make sure the windows update time server (NTP) is pointing to time.windows.com on the clock's properties and it's set to automatically update your time

make sure you're in the right time zone as well

weblogik

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
its not just out of synch, it's slow too, way slow Like it loses ten minutes every half hour :?

I have everything set right on the clock part, not sure how to check the time is right in the bios though...

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
all windows clock loss some time ,but
its not just out of synch, it's slow too, way slow Like it loses ten minutes every half hour
that i think is out of range.
even if you set to aumaticaly synch ,this one will be done only in
a time in the week.
but if it's just out of sync, make sure the time and date in your system's bios is actually correct
check that
hit delete when powers up.[/i]

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Do you have your system set up to use Standby? When my system goes into Standby mode, it doesn't update the time, and I have to manually synch it when I come out of Standby.

weblogik

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
yeah its total crap, i talked to tech support of manufacturer, turns out it is the cmos battery according to them and i need to exchange it.. New build date: December 10th
bull####

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
man that's crazy, there's gotta be a hotfix for that, how do they expect people to resync everytime

It's kinda funny - it's only like this on one MCE machine. All my other computers are fine - including the other MCE one.

I thought at first it was a Mobo or battery problem, but I upgraded from a micro-ATX to a full size and it still does it. I wonder if it has anything to do with this machine being originally MCE 2004 and upgraded to 2005 via an upgrade CD rather than a full install.

I tried searching the MS Knowledge Base, but I didn't find an answer, so I leave it as "Always On".

Got an E6600, and the mobo just arrived, so I'm going to try moving this install onto it and see if it still does it.