I listened to guys, and overclocked, here my tale

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Okay so i took my awesome x2 5600 out of the mobo, and put the x2-4200 back in, started the thing up, everything came up, yada yada, went to asus ai booster kicked the performace up to 103percent no problem ran at like 2266ghz, kicked it up to 105percent, temp is the same as stock speed(29C), the thing is running, i start nerovision, start encoding the battlestar galactica mini series(anyone pick up that im fanaticle about this show), it runs up to like 43C with both processors runiing at like 98percent and shuts down. So perplexed why it shut down at that temp i go ahead and kick it up to 108 percent which is 2240ghz, the temp is like 28C idle and it shuts down immediatly. I went back to stock speed and reencoded the video, and no rpblems. HOWEVER, what did i do wrong, i have overclocked anything since the p3 days because im not dirt poor anymore, and dont really have the time to muck around with computers(kids, girlfriend,divorce, those little things). I would appreciate any advice, Im gonna keep it (X2-4200) in until the weekend, hoping one of my vato's in the forums can tell me how tyo do this, so i can run the 5600 up to 3ghz.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
what you did wrong was use asus oc utility.

in order to max your clocks you need to downclock your memory ht and bring it all up to speed together with your cpu so that when your cpu hits 2.8 your ht hits 280 or there about and your mem hits 450 or desired target.

Ask wusy for details. also go to http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sisubb/ultimatebb.php

Ya, BIOS FTW!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Okay so i took my awesome x2 5600 out of the mobo, and put the x2-4200 back in, started the thing up, everything came up, yada yada, went to asus ai booster kicked the performace up to 103percent no problem ran at like 2266ghz, kicked it up to 105percent, temp is the same as stock speed(29C), the thing is running, i start nerovision, start encoding the battlestar galactica mini series(anyone pick up that im fanaticle about this show), it runs up to like 43C with both processors runiing at like 98percent and shuts down. So perplexed why it shut down at that temp i go ahead and kick it up to 108 percent which is 2240ghz, the temp is like 28C idle and it shuts down immediatly. I went back to stock speed and reencoded the video, and no rpblems. HOWEVER, what did i do wrong, i have overclocked anything since the p3 days because im not dirt poor anymore, and dont really have the time to muck around with computers(kids, girlfriend,divorce, those little things). I would appreciate any advice, Im gonna keep it (X2-4200) in until the weekend, hoping one of my vato's in the forums can tell me how tyo do this, so i can run the 5600 up to 3ghz.

Though I don't know how high you actually got the 5600+, I can say that you should be able to hit 3GHz. But because 3-3.2GHz is the limit for K8 you may just not get there with the particular chip you have.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
generally you need to use a ram divider(typically you only need to underclock by 1 setting, so for ddr400 you set it down to ddr333) and set the HT multiplier down 1 notch, for me its down to 4x from 5x. That should get you going a while. Once your computer starts crashing you need to up the voltage in small increments. Don't go any higher than 1.5v (1.45 is strongly recommended as a max, keep it as low as you can to reduce the chances of frying your cpu). If you still have problems with those voltages you either reached your max OC without using water cooling or you need to mess with some ram settings again. Usually you need to relax your timings (ex. go from 4-4-4-8 to 5-5-5-9)

****take note that increasing your voltage is why your temps will increase,
Increasing your clockspeed will most likely not increase your temps

You should never exceed 1000 on your HT frequency. Your HT frequency = your HT multiplier x FSB

this is because the HT is meant to run at 1000 (2000 effective)

so for instance to OC my 4800+ to 3ghz i would have to use a 4x multiplier with a 250FSB(since my cpu multiplier is at 12: 12 x 250 = 3000)
so 4 x 250 = 1000 HT

With x2 you might not even be able to reach 3ghz because that is the near limit of the architecture. Although you could probably get there with the 5600, but probably not with the 4200

i hope that helps, good luck reaching your goals!

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Though I don't know how high you actually got the 5600+, I can say that you should be able to hit 3GHz. But because 3-3.2GHz is the limit for K8 you may just not get there with the particular chip you have.There was no way i was gonna use tthe 5600, i used the 4200, I didnt really know what i was speciaficaaly supposed to be looking for on rebelshaven, Im gonna keep the 4200 in there until the weekend, play with it a bit.