Will Corsair DDR2-1066 work on Intel Bad Axe 2

johnhart333

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
The Intel Bad Axe 2 technically has a 800 Mhz limit on memory but I noticed some reviewers used Corsair DDR2-1066 during tests. Will this memory work? Will it boot? Will it simply clock down to 800? Will I have the option of increasing memory speed in BIOS? Thanks!

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Most every 975 based board I have seen maxes out at about 1000mhz on memory. Also, the 975 boards don't really like running memory dividers well so you will probably not get PC1066 speed on this board. But, it will work.

The memory you asked about is still good stuff if you want to OC at a 1:1 ratio and find your max speed at 1:1 and then tune the latencies down.

johnhart333

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
Thanks so much for your response. I'm a "newbie" building his first computer. One other question if you can indulge me. Will I need to manually adjust the RAM settings (timing, etc.) in BIOS in order to get the system to boot for the first time? I selected this RAM because I wanted to have the capability to do what you described - OC at 1:1 - but I'm just learning how to actually do that ... My main concern now is getting the system to start up when I build it in the next few days.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It is Bad Axe 2. I should finish build tonight and fire it up - will advise for future users.
Very cool as end user feedback is always good. We don't have a published lab report yet but, we have had some of these boards in the lab and they run fine with our memory. Have fun with the build.

johnhart333

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
My rig is working beautifully. The RAM works but is clocked down to 800 Mhz by BIOS, as I expected. I'm not sure there is any way to overclock this RAM on this board but I suppose I have "head room" for future builds if not this one ...