Install x5150 printer with windows 7 pc

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
First off, did you try going to the lexmark website? Let me help you with that:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=lexmark+x5150

Second, the lexmark does not have a dedicated windows 7 driver meaning that the printer is about as old as me (well, not really...but the printer is still quite old). The support site recommends using the windows vista driver for the installation, and this is more than possible to do, but I don't think that you would have any luck with it. You would need to take your comptuter and printer to a computer shop or have someone with windows 7 compatibility experience install the driver.

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=product&linkSelected=node0&locale=EN&userlocale=EN_US#1

In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to get a new printer. Newer printers have cheaper ink and get more pages per cartridge as well as cost way less than they used to. You can get a very capable printer for around$80 to $100 USD.

Good luck!

Hadit

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Hi Schm1tty: First of all, that's a neat trick with the letmegooglethatforyou URL - can anyone use it? Also, what I couldn't find out at the Lexmark site is if you have to have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 to use the Vista driver? Also, why do you recommend taking it to someone w/windows 7 compatibility experience?

My X5150 works fine for non-demanding copies and scans, and I do my own ink refills, so I intend to keep it as long as I can find drivers and/or power bricks for it. :)

Thanks, Hadit

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
From my experience in the retail market, taking the computer and printer to a shop to get it configured might cost close to the price of a new printer(as always, mileage can vary though). Windows 7 was built on very similar architecture as Windows Vista so most drivers will work, but installing them can be a chore at times.

Finding someone with Windows 7 experience would be a good idea but just be cautious of the price.

Good luck!

Hadit

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Thanks, but what I wanted to know is whether you have to have upgraded to 7 from Vista, or not. Right now we're using XP, but thinking of switching to 7. Your warning about compatibility issues makes me think twice about it, however, even if we get someone else to configure it. ...Harriet

no you do not need to have upgraded from vista to win7. read the post above again, win7 was written around vista basis of operation, so majority of the drivers are the same or at least similar. So in case when specific win7 drivers are not available using vista drivers under win7 is a possible solution.

Hadit

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Apparently I'm an 11th type of person, not a zero. Saying the architecture is similar to Vista didn't seem to answer my question, since I was asking about XP. If Vista is fundamentally different from XP, then 7 would be, too, thus potentially problematic. What I'm guessing you (both) mean is that I can use Vista drivers in 7 even if I've never installed the whole Vista OS, i.e. that upgrading from XP to 7 wouldn't bring baggage with it that would interfere with the Vista drivers. If that's what you mean, great, It's what I wanted to know. ...thanks.

yes, that's what we meant, but you seem to be confused about relation between drivers and OS, but that's another story...

yes, vista is fundamentally different, it was a stepping stone to win7. Another very big difference is win7 was written to be a 64-bit system, while XP is a 32-bit system by design.

drivers are just drivers, it's instructions that let the computer instruct a piece of hardware on how and what to do. There's no OS requirement for driver installation, because it is just a set of instructions. You can install win7 drivers on xp right now, they won't work, but it doesn't mean it cannot be done. Same with vista and same with win7. You install drivers that will work with your current OS, it has no relation to other OS you might have possibly used in the past or will use in the future.

and I'm not sure what you mean by baggage... when you install win7 you will reformat the hard drive...

Hadit

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Ah, so it's the 32/64bit difference that creates the problems! I understand it's possible to get a 32 bit version of 7, though installing that would probably be more trouble than it's worth. We don't do a lot of multi-tasking, and don't have huge amounts of memory which, according to a FAQ I just read, is what the 64bit OS is good at handling. I'm not sure if my husband's CPU is 64bit capable, or not. Mine is, I think, but I'd still rather stick with a 32 bit OS.

I thought that upgrading from one to the next kept a lot of extraneous "stuff" from the old version - taking up space, and potentially interfering with operations - I didn't realize you had to reformat the drive.
Thanks for your perseverance. ...Harriet

TRENDING THREADS