RAM Timing For Dummies

Please help me set all these settings in my BIOS. I'm quite a NOOB and this is the first rig I've built on my own.
I really don't have any wishes to overclock. I just want the right settings as when I set me settings to auto I get a BSOD(blue screen)

What you should know:
I've already done countless Google searches
I have already tried leaving the default(optimal settings), but I get a system crash when it is set to default. It is only when I change the DRAM frequency to 200MHZ(which makes my PC run slow) that I can run my OS without a BSOD.

System Specs:
RAM - KVR533D2/1GR 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 CAS Latency: (4)
Main Board - PCCHIPS P23G V1.0
CPU - Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core

Timings: (Set Values)
DRAM CAS Latency
DRAM Bank Interleave
Precharge to Active
Active to Precharge
Active to CMD
REF to ACT/REF to REF
ACT (0) to ACT (1)
Read to Precharge
Write to Read CMD
Write Recovery Time

Options: (Enable or Disable)
Auto DetectDIMM/PCI Clk
Spread Spectrum
Max CPUID Value Limit
Excecute Desable Bit
CPU TM function
TM Status
C1E Support
Intel SpeedStep (tm) tech

CPU PnP Setup Page: (Enable or Disable/Set Value)
CPU Over-clocking Function
CPU Frequency
DRAM Frequency
6 answers Last reply
More about timing dummies
  1. PC should boot with higher mem timings, then when stable you can try tighting timings to increase performance...
  2. I was hoping you could just fill in the blanks I have provided.
    If I understand what you're saying, after some gift by god and someone actually gives me the exact settings, I should set those settings provided by that wonderful human being and tighten the setting somehow, with some sort of third party program?
  3. I would set the memory to SPD and see if it works stable with that.
  4. Quote:
    I would set the memory to SPD and see if it works stable with that.

I have already tried leaving the default(optimal settings), but I get a system crash when it is set to default. It is only when I change the DRAM frequency to 200MHZ(which makes my PC run slow) that I can run my OS without a BSOD.
Ask a new question

Read More

Blue Screen Overclocking