user accounts info needed

I am a new user to Windows XP Pro, using it at home and not on a network. I
set up a limited account for my wife, and then activated the guest account
for my visiting kids. I was surprised when my grandson downloaded and
installed software the other day. I "guessed" that a guest account was more
limited than a limited account and would not be able to do that.

What are the differences between accounts, and can they be configured to
allow/disallow software installation?

Is using guest accounts a good idea?

Thanks!

Boatman
1 answer Last reply
More about user accounts info needed

    Your grandson is a hacker and I guess you didn't secure the
    default administrator account with a password or your user
    account either.

    The guest account will not normally connect to the Internet
    and a limited user account will not allow installing
    programs.

    "Boatman" <boatman35@excite.org> wrote in message
    |I am a new user to Windows XP Pro, using it at home and not
    on a network. I
    | set up a limited account for my wife, and then activated
    the guest account
    | for my visiting kids. I was surprised when my grandson
    downloaded and
    | installed software the other day. I "guessed" that a guest
    account was more
    | limited than a limited account and would not be able to do
    that.

    | What are the differences between accounts, and can they be
    configured to
    | allow/disallow software installation?
    |
    | Is using guest accounts a good idea?
    |
    | Thanks!