Sign in with
Your question

When will we see a PCI-Express X-Fi card?

Last response: in Components
April 18, 2007 9:30:43 AM

Ever?

More about : pci express card

April 18, 2007 4:36:22 PM

Do we need a PCI-e audio card? I don't know if there's that much data that needs to get transmitted that quickly. What a sec, doesn't Asus have a PCI-e x1 audio card that ships with the Striker Extreme? PCI does an excellent job hat handling audio, but I stand to be corrected.

Windows Vista Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (no OC)
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2X1GB DDR2-800
Western Digital 150GB Raptor x2
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T
Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
Silverstone Temjin TJ07 with window
Pioneer DVR-212D DVD/CD Writer
APC Back-UPS XS 1000
Various trick lighting & mods
April 18, 2007 4:39:51 PM

Quote:
Do we need a PCI-e audio card?

We do if we don't want to run out of PCI slots. If, for example, we are using an Intel BadAxe2 motherboard with two dual-slot-cooler PCIe graphics cards in Crossfire mode, this leaves us with only 1 PCI slot. If that is taken up with a video capture device such as a Sweetspot card, where are you going to plug in a PCI sound card?
Related resources
April 18, 2007 4:55:18 PM

I suppose it's just a matter of time before PCI gets phased out in favour of bigger, better, faster. I agree about two dual-slot video cards. They eat up a lot of room quickly.

Windows Vista Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (no OC)
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2X1GB DDR2-800
Western Digital 150GB Raptor x2
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T
Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
Silverstone Temjin TJ07 with window
Pioneer DVR-212D DVD/CD Writer
APC Back-UPS XS 1000
Various trick lighting & mods
April 18, 2007 5:08:43 PM

The Creative talks about this some years ago... There were some problems with PCI-e slot X1... It was not fast enough when talkin about responce time or something... The bandwide was large enough, but otherwice the PCI was better.
Eventually there will be new standard, but it can take years...
April 19, 2007 8:40:40 AM

Quote:
The Creative talks about this some years ago... There were some problems with PCI-e slot X1... It was not fast enough when talkin about responce time or something... The bandwide was large enough, but otherwice the PCI was better.
Eventually there will be new standard, but it can take years...
I'm aware of that; apparently PCI-Express has a lot of overhead if you want to transport a relatively small-bandwidth but continuous signal. But it's been years, now. I think Creative did actually show a PCIe sound card at CES. Where's the damn product?! :evil: 
April 20, 2007 9:11:39 PM

you wont, a sound card doesn't even come close the amount of bandwidth a PCI-Express slot has to offer. it would be a waist of room and would no performance increases. PCI slots offer more then enough bandwidth and would show any reason to upgrade standers or product lines to PCI-Express.
April 21, 2007 9:35:32 PM

I would like to see a PCI-e card for the same reason, no space. I have two 8800GTX cards in SLi and a triple radiator top mounted to handle the heat. But I can't use my PCI slots because of the thickness of the radiator and that the X-Fi is just a bit too thick to fit.
April 23, 2007 8:38:35 AM

Quote:
you wont, a sound card doesn't even come close the amount of bandwidth a PCI-Express slot has to offer. it would be a waist of room and would no performance increases. PCI slots offer more then enough bandwidth and would show any reason to upgrade standers or product lines to PCI-Express.

Uh, yeah, so when all new motherboards are made without any PCI slots at all, Creative Labs will simply exit the sound card market entirely, I suppose? :roll:
April 26, 2007 5:21:58 PM

I agree with the lack of PCI slot options.
I run a TV Tuner/Cpature and an X-Fi Fatal1ty so I need 2 x PCI slots available minimum. This actually limits my choices for a modern SLI board. And now with the 680i boards, there are 3 PCI-E slots and less standard PCI.

I'm glad to see though that some TV card manufacturers, like Hauppauge, have nifty USB 2.0 TV tuner/Capture devices; even HD is included with those.
April 26, 2007 8:17:01 PM

Quote:
What a sec, doesn't Asus have a PCI-e x1 audio card that ships with the Striker Extreme?

The card that comes with the ASUS is sort of a reverse x1 slot. It might be the same slot ABIT uses on some of the Fatal1ty boards. It'd be great just to use a standard x1 slot for this, then its up to the user's discretion to use them or not. I think its a great idea for audio, fewer unused mobo ports. TV cards come in standard pci and x1, why can't audio? It just adds to more flexibility from your system. I'm all for x1 audio cards when good ones start rolling out.
!