Microsoft Windows XP Downloads Very Suspect

muddywellies

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I have Windows XP with SP2 and was very pleased with it initially in conjunction with Webroot's Spy Sweeper and Zonelab's Zone Alarm antivirus for my internet protection. Then, I apparently made the 'mistake' of downloading a bunch of recommended security patches from Microsoft.....

Since when my PC has suffered unexplained seizures which require a reboot and a whole bunch of similar windows' quirky behaviour. I suffer no virus or spyware.
Can I put my original Windows XP disc in and go for a reinstall of Windows without reloading my other software? Will the new XP install be a clean one or will it carry over any latent updates I have previously downloaded? My security software is up to the task and I have not suffered any incursion for three years now but now I have these glitches since I permitted these official secuity updates. For example I use Skype. During some calls with other Skype users my line not only goes down but my PC requires a reboot! You can imagine the frustration and length of any call that requires a PC reboot after 2 minutes!!!

G

How do you know they were official MS security patches? You can boot from the XP CD and do a Repair installation of Windows. If you have malware, it wouldn't be removed though.

Grumpy

randomcow

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I don't have XP at home so I don't remeber for sure but can't you uninstall updates? Add/remove programs, select "show updates"?

muddywellies

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Seems not. Just checked the Control Panel and it enables is the removal of existing Windows components not the updates unfortunately. Currently looking into a repair or 'update' reinstall before which I would need to save all the files in MY DOcs as they would be swept clean.

randomcow

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Wouldn't be under Windows components - its on the main list showing all of your programs and if I remember correctly I think there is a checkbox on the upper right of the window to enable display of updates...

..but in any case I don't have XP to prove it so if I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

muddywellies

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Good lord! You were dead right Randomcow. Thanks too must go to Grumpy9117. Scarey things is, there are 64 updates shown and they have arrived since my (fairly) recent purchase of a new case and contents as part of a dual processor hardware upgrade. 64 updates in two months. That surely adds to the argument the customer is paying for under developed software - think I'll stay well clear of Vista.

Anyway thank you gents I shall remove the updates.