quicklaunch bar drag & drop does not work

Jos

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2004

Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
quicklaunch bar.

Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch bar.

Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?

Working with windowsXp sp2.

Jos

PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this behaviour
in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work in
XP either

Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.

"Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
> Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
> Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
> quicklaunch bar.
>
> Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch bar.
>
> Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?
>
> Working with windowsXp sp2.
>
> Jos
>
> PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this
behaviour
> in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work in
> XP either

Jos

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2004

Mr? Waters,

Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar. Any
other thoughts?

Jos

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
> Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
> Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
>
> "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
>> Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
>> Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
>> quicklaunch bar.
>>
>> Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch bar.
>>
>> Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?
>>
>> Working with windowsXp sp2.
>>
>> Jos
>>
>> PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this
> behaviour
>> in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work
>> in
>> XP either

That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move the
"slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive a new
shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and enter
the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever disappear
once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may provide a
clue.

> Mr? Waters,
>
> Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar. Any
> other thoughts?
>
> Jos
>

> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
> > Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
> > Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
> >
> > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
> >> Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
> >> Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
> >> quicklaunch bar.
> >>
> >> Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch
bar.

> >> Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?
> >>
> >> Working with windowsXp sp2.
> >>
> >> Jos
> >>
> >> PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this
> > behaviour
> >> in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work
> >> in
> >> XP either

Jos

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2004

Mr?. Waters, thx for your replies,

When I click and hold an icon on my desktop, and hold down the "ctrl"-key, I
can drag the icon (with a plus in the bottom-left) all over the desktop.
However when I reach the bottom of the screen the icon changes to the
circle/slash symbol. If (as I do) I have my taskbar hidden, it does not show
up while dragging the icon. I have tested it while having the taskbar
allways visible. Then as soon as I drag the icon over the taskbas it changes
to the circle/slach symbol.

When I click and hold an icon already on the quicklaunch bar and try to move
it within the quicklaunchbar; a symbol with a verical bar is supposed to
appear to indicate where you are placing the icon. However in my situation
no symbol appears. While dragging I noticed the icon that the mouce hoover
over, is selected.

Hope this triggers a solution.

> That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move the
> "slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive a
> new
> shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and enter
> the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever
> disappear
> once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may provide
> clue.
>
> "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
>> Mr? Waters,
>>
>> Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar.
>> Any
>> other thoughts?
>>
>> Jos
>>

>> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
>> > Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
>> > Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
>> >
>> > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message

> bar.

>> > behaviour

Well, that would drive me mad.
Since you have enabled dragging and dropping, etc. I wonder if you have been
to the Kelly's Korner site? She has an edit there to return the Taskbar to
default functionality. Of course, the problem is actually the Quick Launch.
I would think that trying her tweak could do no harm, though:
#164, right column
"Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality"Restore Taskbar to Default
Functionality

> Mr?. Waters, thx for your replies,
>
> When I click and hold an icon on my desktop, and hold down the "ctrl"-key,
> can drag the icon (with a plus in the bottom-left) all over the desktop.
> However when I reach the bottom of the screen the icon changes to the
> circle/slash symbol. If (as I do) I have my taskbar hidden, it does not
show
> up while dragging the icon. I have tested it while having the taskbar
> allways visible. Then as soon as I drag the icon over the taskbas it
changes
> to the circle/slach symbol.
>
> When I click and hold an icon already on the quicklaunch bar and try to
move
> it within the quicklaunchbar; a symbol with a verical bar is supposed to
> appear to indicate where you are placing the icon. However in my situation
> no symbol appears. While dragging I noticed the icon that the mouce hoover
> over, is selected.
>
> Hope this triggers a solution.
>
> Jos
>

> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
> > That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move the
> > "slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive a
> > new
> > shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and
enter
> > the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever
> > disappear
> > once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may
provide
> > clue.
> >
> > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
> >> Mr? Waters,
> >>
> >> Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar.
> >> Any
> >> other thoughts?
> >>
> >> Jos
> >>

> >> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht

> > bar.

Jos

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2004

Thx, actually it drives me crazy. Why do I bother that much, while it's just
a minor irritant problem.

I'll check out the site.

> Well, that would drive me mad.
> Since you have enabled dragging and dropping, etc. I wonder if you have
> been
> to the Kelly's Korner site? She has an edit there to return the Taskbar to
> default functionality. Of course, the problem is actually the Quick
> Launch.
> I would think that trying her tweak could do no harm, though:
> #164, right column
> "Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality"Restore Taskbar to Default
> Functionality
>
> "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
>> Mr?. Waters, thx for your replies,
>>
>> When I click and hold an icon on my desktop, and hold down the
>> "ctrl"-key,
>> can drag the icon (with a plus in the bottom-left) all over the desktop.
>> However when I reach the bottom of the screen the icon changes to the
>> circle/slash symbol. If (as I do) I have my taskbar hidden, it does not
> show
>> up while dragging the icon. I have tested it while having the taskbar
>> allways visible. Then as soon as I drag the icon over the taskbas it
> changes
>> to the circle/slach symbol.
>>
>> When I click and hold an icon already on the quicklaunch bar and try to
> move
>> it within the quicklaunchbar; a symbol with a verical bar is supposed to
>> appear to indicate where you are placing the icon. However in my
>> situation
>> no symbol appears. While dragging I noticed the icon that the mouce
>> hoover
>> over, is selected.
>>
>> Hope this triggers a solution.
>>
>> Jos
>>

>> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
>> > That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move
>> > the
>> > "slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive
>> > new
>> > shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and
> enter
>> > the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever
>> > disappear
>> > once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may
> provide
>> > clue.
>> >
>> > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message

>> > bar.

Jos

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2004

That did solve the problem (for the moment?) Now the question "what caused
this and how did Kelly solve this?" is driving me mad.

However I won't let it ruin my weelend.

Jos