quicklaunch bar drag & drop does not work

Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
quicklaunch bar.

Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch bar.

Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?

Working with windowsXp sp2.

Jos

PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this behaviour
in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work in
XP either
7 answers Last reply
More about quicklaunch drag drop work

    Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
    Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.

    "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
    > Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
    > Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
    > quicklaunch bar.
    >
    > Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch bar.
    >
    > Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?
    >
    > Working with windowsXp sp2.
    >
    > Jos
    >
    > PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this
    behaviour
    > in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work in
    > XP either

    Mr? Waters,

    Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar. Any
    other thoughts?

    Jos

    "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
    > Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
    > Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
    >
    > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
    >> Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
    >> Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
    >> quicklaunch bar.
    >>
    >> Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch bar.
    >>
    >> Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?
    >>
    >> Working with windowsXp sp2.
    >>
    >> Jos
    >>
    >> PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this
    > behaviour
    >> in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work
    >> in
    >> XP either

    That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move the
    "slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive a new
    shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and enter
    the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever disappear
    once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may provide a
    clue.

    > Mr? Waters,
    >
    > Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar. Any
    > other thoughts?
    >
    > Jos
    >

    > "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
    > > Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
    > > Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
    > >
    > > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
    > >> Despite the fact that I enabled drag and drop option in the advanced
    > >> Startmenu options, I am unable to rearrange items in my startmenu or
    > >> quicklaunch bar.
    > >>
    > >> Neither am I able to drag links from my desktop to the quick launch
    bar.

    > >> Anyone seen this before and knows what to do to correct this?
    > >>
    > >> Working with windowsXp sp2.
    > >>
    > >> Jos
    > >>
    > >> PS I have seen a article in the knowledge base that describes this
    > > behaviour
    > >> in windows 2000 but not in XP. The solution offered there does not work
    > >> in
    > >> XP either

    Mr?. Waters, thx for your replies,

    When I click and hold an icon on my desktop, and hold down the "ctrl"-key, I
    can drag the icon (with a plus in the bottom-left) all over the desktop.
    However when I reach the bottom of the screen the icon changes to the
    circle/slash symbol. If (as I do) I have my taskbar hidden, it does not show
    up while dragging the icon. I have tested it while having the taskbar
    allways visible. Then as soon as I drag the icon over the taskbas it changes
    to the circle/slach symbol.

    When I click and hold an icon already on the quicklaunch bar and try to move
    it within the quicklaunchbar; a symbol with a verical bar is supposed to
    appear to indicate where you are placing the icon. However in my situation
    no symbol appears. While dragging I noticed the icon that the mouce hoover
    over, is selected.

    Hope this triggers a solution.

    > That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move the
    > "slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive a
    > new
    > shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and enter
    > the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever
    > disappear
    > once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may provide
    > clue.
    >
    > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
    >> Mr? Waters,
    >>
    >> Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar.
    >> Any
    >> other thoughts?
    >>
    >> Jos
    >>

    >> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
    >> > Jos, have you unlocked the taskbar yet?
    >> > Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar.
    >> >
    >> > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message

    > bar.

    >> > behaviour

    Well, that would drive me mad.
    Since you have enabled dragging and dropping, etc. I wonder if you have been
    to the Kelly's Korner site? She has an edit there to return the Taskbar to
    default functionality. Of course, the problem is actually the Quick Launch.
    I would think that trying her tweak could do no harm, though:
    #164, right column
    "Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality"Restore Taskbar to Default
    Functionality

    > Mr?. Waters, thx for your replies,
    >
    > When I click and hold an icon on my desktop, and hold down the "ctrl"-key,
    > can drag the icon (with a plus in the bottom-left) all over the desktop.
    > However when I reach the bottom of the screen the icon changes to the
    > circle/slash symbol. If (as I do) I have my taskbar hidden, it does not
    show
    > up while dragging the icon. I have tested it while having the taskbar
    > allways visible. Then as soon as I drag the icon over the taskbas it
    changes
    > to the circle/slach symbol.
    >
    > When I click and hold an icon already on the quicklaunch bar and try to
    move
    > it within the quicklaunchbar; a symbol with a verical bar is supposed to
    > appear to indicate where you are placing the icon. However in my situation
    > no symbol appears. While dragging I noticed the icon that the mouce hoover
    > over, is selected.
    >
    > Hope this triggers a solution.
    >
    > Jos
    >

    > "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
    > > That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move the
    > > "slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive a
    > > new
    > > shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and
    enter
    > > the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever
    > > disappear
    > > once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may
    provide
    > > clue.
    > >
    > > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
    > >> Mr? Waters,
    > >>
    > >> Yes; there is no difference between locking and unlocking the taskbar.
    > >> Any
    > >> other thoughts?
    > >>
    > >> Jos
    > >>

    > >> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht

    > > bar.

    Thx, actually it drives me crazy. Why do I bother that much, while it's just
    a minor irritant problem.

    I'll check out the site.

    > Well, that would drive me mad.
    > Since you have enabled dragging and dropping, etc. I wonder if you have
    > been
    > to the Kelly's Korner site? She has an edit there to return the Taskbar to
    > default functionality. Of course, the problem is actually the Quick
    > Launch.
    > I would think that trying her tweak could do no harm, though:
    > #164, right column
    > "Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality"Restore Taskbar to Default
    > Functionality
    >
    > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message
    >> Mr?. Waters, thx for your replies,
    >>
    >> When I click and hold an icon on my desktop, and hold down the
    >> "ctrl"-key,
    >> can drag the icon (with a plus in the bottom-left) all over the desktop.
    >> However when I reach the bottom of the screen the icon changes to the
    >> circle/slash symbol. If (as I do) I have my taskbar hidden, it does not
    > show
    >> up while dragging the icon. I have tested it while having the taskbar
    >> allways visible. Then as soon as I drag the icon over the taskbas it
    > changes
    >> to the circle/slach symbol.
    >>
    >> When I click and hold an icon already on the quicklaunch bar and try to
    > move
    >> it within the quicklaunchbar; a symbol with a verical bar is supposed to
    >> appear to indicate where you are placing the icon. However in my
    >> situation
    >> no symbol appears. While dragging I noticed the icon that the mouce
    >> hoover
    >> over, is selected.
    >>
    >> Hope this triggers a solution.
    >>
    >> Jos
    >>

    >> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> schreef in bericht
    >> > That is unfortunate. In my experience, sometimes I am forced to move
    >> > the
    >> > "slider" to the right to make an empty space in the Taskbar to receive
    >> > new
    >> > shortcut. When you are dragging the icon, can it cross the line and
    > enter
    >> > the Quick Launch while you drag? Does the circle/slash symbol ever
    >> > disappear
    >> > once you drag to the desired position? A detailed description may
    > provide
    >> > clue.
    >> >
    >> > "Jos" <josabb@chello.nl> wrote in message

    >> > bar.

    That did solve the problem (for the moment?) Now the question "what caused
    this and how did Kelly solve this?" is driving me mad.

    However I won't let it ruin my weelend.

    Jos

Microsoft Windows XP