Need Memory OC help on Crucial Ballistix PC6400

Ok so I have a pair of Crucial Ballistix PC6400 4-4-4-12. I have been reading threads and arcticals saying this memory can either be overclocked to DDR2 1000 and sometimes higher by loosening the timing to maybe 5-5-5-15 but I am unable to budge on this even a little. I was also reading that you can lower the timing at the same speed as well to maybe 3-3-7 or something like that. Every other aspect of my system is overclocked exept my memory. Is there something I'm missing? Every time i try to go either way with OCing or lowering the latency the system either boots up halfway and locks or doesn't boot at all and I get the recovery BIOS settings. The only increases I currently have is that I have my memory set to 2.0V at the stock PC6400 speed and my CPU is set at 1.4125V. During my attempts I have bumped the Vdimm up to 2.2V as the memory is rated for. However this does not help either.

Any ideas, or do i just have stuborn memory?

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Ok so I have a pair of Crucial Ballistix PC6400 4-4-4-12. I have been reading threads and arcticals saying this memory can either be overclocked to DDR2 1000 and sometimes higher by loosening the timing to maybe 5-5-5-15 but I am unable to budge on this even a little. I was also reading that you can lower the timing at the same speed as well to maybe 3-3-7 or something like that. Every other aspect of my system is overclocked exept my memory. Is there something I'm missing? Every time i try to go either way with OCing or lowering the latency the system either boots up halfway and locks or doesn't boot at all and I get the recovery BIOS settings. The only increases I currently have is that I have my memory set to 2.0V at the stock PC6400 speed and my CPU is set at 1.4125V. During my attempts I have bumped the Vdimm up to 2.2V as the memory is rated for. However this does not help either.

Any ideas, or do i just have stuborn memory?

Download CPUZ and check your RAM speed. If you are increasing the FSB, the RAM will increase speed along with that increase. Changing the timings or adjusting the voltage will not increase the RAM speed alone. Increasing the FSB or adjusting the memory divider will increase RAM speed. What speed is the RAM running at?

Download CPUZ and check your RAM speed. If you are increasing the FSB, the RAM will increase speed along with that increase. Changing the timings or adjusting the voltage will not increase the RAM speed alone. Increasing the FSB or adjusting the memory divider will increase RAM speed. What speed is the RAM running at?

Currently CPU-z is reporting
Core = 3200MHz
FSB = 400MHz
Bus Speed = 1600MHz
Memory frequency is 400MHz 1:1 (w/ 4-4-4-12)

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Like I said, to increase your memory speed from it's current speed of 800 mhz. you can raise your FSB and the memory will follow or you can adjust the memory divider. Setting or changing the 4-4-4-12 timings or increasing the RAM voltage like you referred to does not directly increase the RAM speed.

I've tried setting the mem voltage to 2.2 to try to make it stable. However if I try to lower the latency and bump up the FSB of divider at all it locks up. I couldnt even get the ddr2 800 to 840. its odd.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Be sure you have the memory running dual channel. I wish I could help. I know it sounds odd, but in BIOS have you tried setting the memory frequency to AUTO instead of say 800 mhz., 840 mhz., etc.? It's frustrating, I know.

Be sure you have the memory running dual channel. I wish I could help. I know it sounds odd, but in BIOS have you tried setting the memory frequency to AUTO instead of say 800 mhz., 840 mhz., etc.? It's frustrating, I know.

I tried that a while ago and every time i do that it clock it to the first selection under DDR2 - 800. I think last time it set it to 600 or something like that. It's never worked for me. Even at all stock i had to set the memory myself because te SPD settings were way off. I might just chalk it up and keep the memory at 800. I really don't know if i should creap past the rated 2.2 volts of the memory or what i should do.