Anandtech benchmarks Penryn!

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
It is really crazy to me that Intel managed to release benchmarks for Penryn before AMD. I realize that this was a controlled environment, but I wonder how it will compare to the Barcelona show on the 23rd? I would imagine it will be comparable.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
A Celeron would be a monster with 12mb of cache. That much cache wont be cheap.
Intel purposely releaed before AMD. Not hard when you have 5 times the engineers. Intel always plays dirty, thats their game.
They have had the performance lead for a whole 6 months now, lets see if they can keep it.

How is showing off a better product playing "dirty"? :?

RichPLS

Champion
If successful translates in your mind to dirt... whatever...

Intel has planned and designed well, and are now showing that their fore site and implementation amongst such sheer enormous doubt that they could achieve this is what your are calling dirty...
and if roles were reversed, you would be gloating at how well AMD did... not to mention the "I told ya" syndrome...

korbin44

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Actually, MrsBytch, Conroe was released July 27th, 2006. That would put the performance lead at almost 9 months. To be quite honest, you could call the performance lead at over a year, since we saw early benchmarks for conroe in March of last year. And what exactly is dirty about posting benchmarks of its upcoming processors? AMD has yet to deliver a single benchmark for Barcelona. That's not cool. Now I'd like to see Baron's remarks on this whole situation. WTF, Baron? Where's AMD at?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
WTF Toms Hardware!!! Where is your REVIEW!!! :!: :?: :!:

The car news is clogging up their web pages...

As for benchies, nice find. I just hope they intro a quad core at a solid price point so I can OC the freakin hell out of it under a 437 TEC 8O

4GHz Yorkfield anyone? Actually I would expect nearly 4.5GHz.

AMD... this means your next proc has to top C2D (of which your behind about 20%) and surpass it by a margin of at least 15%.... I don't like those odds for AMD, although they may have an Ace in the hole, I don't know.

RichPLS

Champion
Am I correct to see this as Intel is closer to releasing Penryn, than AMD is to releasing Barc?
Since there are ES's of Intel, but none on AMD? Or is it that when the samples were sampled... THAT AMD's test engineers were unimpressed, thus no leaks... WHILE INTEL's Engineers were ecstatic, and could not keep quiet?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I, for one, am glad to see preliminary benchmarks this early. It can really only go up from here. With Intel releasing benchmarks this early it means they have great confidence in their product and that it will top AMD's next offering, which in turn will give consumers more confidence (which what matters in the end almost as much as performance).

Intel isn't shy that is for sure... and I like that. :D

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
A Celeron would be a monster with 12mb of cache. That much cache wont be cheap.

While the 12MB Cache is larger (in Megabytes) than the 8MB on Kentsfield the Penryn die (including the new "larger" cache) is actually 27% smaller than Conroe (in silicon area), therefore in steady state it is cheaper to produce.

But then, I suppose you are not interested in the truth.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
HL2 Lost Coast Build 2707 (fps) : 21.8% <- thats pretty damn impressive. looks like the 8800gtx gets bottlenecked much :0

Yeah, we knew the 8800GTX was CPU bottlenecked... just didn't know to what extend. 20%+ is an impressive change in FPS any way you slice it.

--Jack

Yeah, yeah. Show off. lol :wink:

Good Call. :D

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
What did I say --- it appears Intel may be adopting a new policy, second year in a row the spring IDF gave up the goods.

Depends on if they figure that they need to continue to tick tock or they can rest on their laurels again. Even a realistic glimpse into Penryn performance is more than we've seen from Barcy. Come on AMD, make Intel continue to be awesome by pushing them a little. At least do something!

1 day until we find out how bleak AMD's Q1 was....

G

First off, hey all, long time since I posted, I do read a lot, but I lack the time to post :?

I find it pretty impressive and great that we see a higher clock for clock performance from Penryn, I don't recall the last time Intel released essentially a die shrink with a better IPC. I was expecting 45nm Penryn to be a Conroe that clocks at 4.5ghz on air, adding anything else on top is great! Exciting time compared to the Northwood -> Prescott transition!

Now I hope AMD put up a good fight and keep the market competitive because we sure need the kind of competition we have seen in the last year!

G

No word on that yet, probably will have new VRM specs so most mother shouldn't work but we should know this in the next few months.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
HL2 Lost Coast Build 2707 (fps) : 21.8% <- thats pretty damn impressive. looks like the 8800gtx gets bottlenecked much :0

Yeah, we knew the 8800GTX was CPU bottlenecked... just didn't know to what extend. 20%+ is an impressive change in FPS any way you slice it.

--Jack

Yeah, yeah. Show off. lol :wink:

Good Call. :D

So to see the R600 benchies beating the G80 by a good margin and both being bottlenecked (on the current flagship Kentsfield CPU's) one could extrapolate that the R600 is indeed a HUGE monster.... no? Because one could conclude that if the R600 can beat the G80 decisively while being bottlenecked imagine what it could so when it's let loose by Penryn!

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Am I correct to see this as Intel is closer to releasing Penryn, than AMD is to releasing Barc?
Since there are ES's of Intel, but none on AMD? Or is it that when the samples were sampled... THAT AMD's test engineers were unimpressed, thus no leaks... WHILE INTEL's Engineers were ecstatic, and could not keep quiet?

If everbody is on schedule Barcelona releases before Penryn but AMD doesn't have a solid reputation for on time relese so a definite maybe on seeing Penny before Barcy. The lack of Barcy ES's isn't very reassuring of an on time release.

Don't know about performance until Monday when Barcelona numbers are released, but Intel release of Penryn information has been relatively steady while Barcelona seems to lag.