Sign in with
Your question

Anandtech benchmarks Penryn!

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2007 12:58:16 PM

wow thank you for the news :lol: 
April 18, 2007 12:59:57 PM

It is really crazy to me that Intel managed to release benchmarks for Penryn before AMD. I realize that this was a controlled environment, but I wonder how it will compare to the Barcelona show on the 23rd? I would imagine it will be comparable.
Related resources
April 18, 2007 1:00:13 PM

WTF Toms Hardware!!! Where is your REVIEW!!! :!: :?: :!:
April 18, 2007 1:06:11 PM

Quote:
A Celeron would be a monster with 12mb of cache. That much cache wont be cheap.
Intel purposely releaed before AMD. Not hard when you have 5 times the engineers. Intel always plays dirty, thats their game.
They have had the performance lead for a whole 6 months now, lets see if they can keep it.

How is showing off a better product playing "dirty"? :?
April 18, 2007 1:08:34 PM

If successful translates in your mind to dirt... whatever...

Intel has planned and designed well, and are now showing that their fore site and implementation amongst such sheer enormous doubt that they could achieve this is what your are calling dirty...
and if roles were reversed, you would be gloating at how well AMD did... not to mention the "I told ya" syndrome...
April 18, 2007 1:14:58 PM

Actually, MrsBytch, Conroe was released July 27th, 2006. That would put the performance lead at almost 9 months. To be quite honest, you could call the performance lead at over a year, since we saw early benchmarks for conroe in March of last year. And what exactly is dirty about posting benchmarks of its upcoming processors? AMD has yet to deliver a single benchmark for Barcelona. That's not cool. Now I'd like to see Baron's remarks on this whole situation. WTF, Baron? Where's AMD at?
April 18, 2007 1:20:22 PM

The stakes in the war just got raised, now Barcelona will have to compete with Penryn and not Core2Duo.
April 18, 2007 1:22:57 PM

Quote:

The car news is clogging up their web pages...

As for benchies, nice find. I just hope they intro a quad core at a solid price point so I can OC the freakin hell out of it under a 437 TEC 8O

4GHz Yorkfield anyone? Actually I would expect nearly 4.5GHz.

AMD... this means your next proc has to top C2D (of which your behind about 20%) and surpass it by a margin of at least 15%.... I don't like those odds for AMD, although they may have an Ace in the hole, I don't know.
April 18, 2007 1:25:29 PM

Am I correct to see this as Intel is closer to releasing Penryn, than AMD is to releasing Barc?
Since there are ES's of Intel, but none on AMD? Or is it that when the samples were sampled... THAT AMD's test engineers were unimpressed, thus no leaks... WHILE INTEL's Engineers were ecstatic, and could not keep quiet?
April 18, 2007 1:29:38 PM

I, for one, am glad to see preliminary benchmarks this early. It can really only go up from here. With Intel releasing benchmarks this early it means they have great confidence in their product and that it will top AMD's next offering, which in turn will give consumers more confidence (which what matters in the end almost as much as performance).

Intel isn't shy that is for sure... and I like that. :D 
April 18, 2007 1:32:52 PM

Quote:

While the 12MB Cache is larger (in Megabytes) than the 8MB on Kentsfield the Penryn die (including the new "larger" cache) is actually 27% smaller than Conroe (in silicon area), therefore in steady state it is cheaper to produce.

But then, I suppose you are not interested in the truth.
April 18, 2007 1:40:05 PM

HL2 Lost Coast Build 2707 (fps) : 21.8% <- thats pretty damn impressive. looks like the 8800gtx gets bottlenecked much :0
April 18, 2007 1:43:37 PM

Quote:
HL2 Lost Coast Build 2707 (fps) : 21.8% <- thats pretty damn impressive. looks like the 8800gtx gets bottlenecked much :0

Yeah, we knew the 8800GTX was CPU bottlenecked... just didn't know to what extend. 20%+ is an impressive change in FPS any way you slice it.

--Jack

Yeah, yeah. Show off. lol :wink:

Good Call. :D 
April 18, 2007 1:45:27 PM

If that a new HSF?
April 18, 2007 1:46:55 PM

Quote:
What did I say --- it appears Intel may be adopting a new policy, second year in a row the spring IDF gave up the goods.

Depends on if they figure that they need to continue to tick tock or they can rest on their laurels again. Even a realistic glimpse into Penryn performance is more than we've seen from Barcy. Come on AMD, make Intel continue to be awesome by pushing them a little. At least do something!

1 day until we find out how bleak AMD's Q1 was....
April 18, 2007 1:59:48 PM

The MB that they use is
Quote:
Pre-production BadAxe2 975X
and
Quote:
Pre-production BIOS
does it mean that current MB won't match the processors or will it be just a bios upgrade?
April 18, 2007 2:00:46 PM

and I was just about to buy a new PC in 2-3 months! What should I do?!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2007 2:05:29 PM

First off, hey all, long time since I posted, I do read a lot, but I lack the time to post :?

I find it pretty impressive and great that we see a higher clock for clock performance from Penryn, I don't recall the last time Intel released essentially a die shrink with a better IPC. I was expecting 45nm Penryn to be a Conroe that clocks at 4.5ghz on air, adding anything else on top is great! Exciting time compared to the Northwood -> Prescott transition!

Now I hope AMD put up a good fight and keep the market competitive because we sure need the kind of competition we have seen in the last year!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2007 2:07:19 PM

No word on that yet, probably will have new VRM specs so most mother shouldn't work but we should know this in the next few months.
April 18, 2007 2:30:18 PM

Ho-lee-shite.

Penryn is looking like a beast.
April 18, 2007 2:41:10 PM

Dang, Intel is just making a mockery of AMD. Seriously, releasing Penryn benchies before Barcy....

DANG 8O
April 18, 2007 2:42:04 PM

Quote:
Ho-lee-shite.

Penryn is looking like a beast.

Yeah... I want to see performance at 5Ghz :wink:
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2007 3:02:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah, we knew the 8800GTX was CPU bottlenecked... just didn't know to what extend. 20%+ is an impressive change in FPS any way you slice it.

--Jack

Yeah, yeah. Show off. lol :wink:

Good Call. :D 

So to see the R600 benchies beating the G80 by a good margin and both being bottlenecked (on the current flagship Kentsfield CPU's) one could extrapolate that the R600 is indeed a HUGE monster.... no? Because one could conclude that if the R600 can beat the G80 decisively while being bottlenecked imagine what it could so when it's let loose by Penryn!
April 18, 2007 3:03:40 PM

Quote:
Am I correct to see this as Intel is closer to releasing Penryn, than AMD is to releasing Barc?
Since there are ES's of Intel, but none on AMD? Or is it that when the samples were sampled... THAT AMD's test engineers were unimpressed, thus no leaks... WHILE INTEL's Engineers were ecstatic, and could not keep quiet?

If everbody is on schedule Barcelona releases before Penryn but AMD doesn't have a solid reputation for on time relese so a definite maybe on seeing Penny before Barcy. The lack of Barcy ES's isn't very reassuring of an on time release.

Don't know about performance until Monday when Barcelona numbers are released, but Intel release of Penryn information has been relatively steady while Barcelona seems to lag.
April 18, 2007 3:04:27 PM

Quote:
Intel purposely releaed before AMD. Not hard when you have 5 times the engineers. Intel always plays dirty, thats their game.
They have had the performance lead for a whole 6 months now, lets see if they can keep it.

And let me guess, cache is a gimmick too, right? I mean, all these features are just gimmicks and down right foul play.

I mean, trying to stay ahead of your competition is such a vile and evil thing to do right? We should call up AMD and tell them to not be like Intel and do the right thing by canceling the release of Barcelona and the R600. Surely that would the the right thing to do, eh?

@Everyone else,
I retract my statement about the table from Xtremesystems being a possible fake, and by extent apologize to the posters on this site and theirs that brought it to light.

.... Holy fock, I want one of these...
April 18, 2007 3:21:12 PM

Quote:

@Everyone else,
I retract my statement about the table from Xtremesystems being a possible fake, and by extent apologize to the posters on this site and theirs that brought it to light.

Apology accepted.

The mind boggles at how overclocked Penryns are going to perform. I dont see Conroe's extreme overclockability vanishing in the transition to 45 nm.

A nice 4 GHZ OCed Penryn on air-cooling would be 8)
April 18, 2007 3:24:55 PM

OMFG!

Nice benchys, babe. Come to poppa! 8)

I just dropped in to catch a couple of quick headlines and then come back later today to bug everyone in my patented CRA fashion, and what do I see? Just one day before AMD's Q1 call? If anyone has any doubt that it is Intel's specific premeditated plan to devastate AMD, kindly surgically excise such doubt today!

The Thrilla In Tunisia is looking more and more like just another sandstorm!

I'm dusting off a nice spot in my tower case for my dual Penryn Skulltrail (Still hate that Skulltrail name though!) :D 
April 18, 2007 3:29:26 PM

Quote:

@Everyone else,

Apology accepted.

The mind boggles at how overclocked Penryns are going to perform. I dont see Conroe's extreme overclockability vanishing in the transition to 45 nm.

I don't understand how the potential could just sky rocket like that on only a die shrink... what the hell kind of devil chip is this?
April 18, 2007 3:29:34 PM

As expected, just before big R600 and Barce show, oponents are showing their goodies to steal the thunder :wink: nVidia released mid-ranged DX10 as we speak, maybe will show 8800 Ultra to selected few. Intel showed Penryn, and all of this one week before AMD biggest launch this year.

Although a lot of are creaming over Penryn, personaly I was expecting 20+% clock-for-clock across the board, as Intel said about Wolfdale, but its a bit disapointing 5-10% improvement. Yorkfield on the other hand looks very nice and in muti-threaded apps will do great.

Since main Barce competition will be Yorkfield, I would say (wild guess based on preliminary info) they will fare quite similar clock for clock, but as we all know, Intel will ramp up clock speeds faster, and thats there the main Barce problem will be, not performance on the same speed IMO.
April 18, 2007 3:30:27 PM

Quote:
OMFG!

I just dropped in to catch a couple of quick headlines and then come back later today to bug everyone in my patented CRA fashion, and what do I see? Just one day before AMD's Q1 call? If anyone has any doubt that it is Intel's specific premeditated plan to devastate AMD, kindly surgically excise such doubt today!

I'm dusting off a nice spot in my tower case for my dual Penryn Skulltrail (Still hate that Skulltrail name though!) :D 

I think it's an awesome name, hehe. You know whose skulls Intel's engineers had in mind with it....
April 18, 2007 3:37:41 PM

Quote:

@Everyone else,

Apology accepted.

I don't understand how the potential could just sky rocket like that on only a die shrink... what the hell kind of devil chip is this?

Ssshhh....
It's an ancient secret we found in the deserts of NM, Oregon, Ireland, and Israel...some strange glowing scrolls (looks like it was written on a parchment using WordPerfect, it's that old), with all kinds of strange mathematical equations that all end up with the number 42...strange....

Back on topic -

I'm shocked at the data from the IDF. Yes, it was all pre-production items, but still, it was mindboggling. I seriously believe that the leaked data was a mix of real and made up stuff, but now...wow.
April 18, 2007 3:39:21 PM

Quote:

The chip is not released. So, I'm not complaining (yet).
April 18, 2007 3:41:13 PM

Quote:

@Everyone else,

Apology accepted.

I think most of this is about SSE4 and Hi-K.
April 18, 2007 3:41:23 PM

At least a little victory for us AMD guys, we can upgrade with a K10, you Intel guys need at least a new Mobo, as the article says
Quote:
The processors were plugged into a modified Intel BadAxe2 motherboard, with the modification being necessary to support Penryn.

Just shows I was right to put my money on AMD for making the best upgrade path for the people!
a c 96 à CPUs
April 18, 2007 3:42:56 PM

Quote:

They had some tests that used SSE4. Anything that uses SSEn vs. something that doesn't use SSEn will be a ton faster as SSEn instructions are shortcuts of sorts.
April 18, 2007 3:43:14 PM

Quote:

Although a lot of are creaming over Penryn, personaly I was expecting 20+% clock-for-clock across the board, as Intel said about Wolfdale, but its a bit disapointing 5-10% improvement. Yorkfield on the other hand looks very nice and in muti-threaded apps will do great.
[/b]

While more than a simple die shrink, Penryn is still based on the same uarch as Conroe. A 20% improvement over the already impressive Conroe IPC is a bit unrealistic IMO. ;) 

Penryn performs in line with my expectations, though the benefits of SSE4 are greater than I anticipated. I would guess Intel chose the best application to test it though, so the 110% jump in Divx encoding can probably be seen as a best case scenario for SSE4.
April 18, 2007 3:45:40 PM

Quote:
As expected, just before big R600 and Barce show, oponents are showing their goodies to steal the thunder :wink: nVidia released mid-ranged DX10 as we speak, maybe will show 8800 Ultra to selected few. Intel showed Penryn, and all of this one week before AMD biggest launch this year.

Since main Barce competition will be Yorkfield, I would say (wild guess based on preliminary info) they will fare quite similar clock for clock, but as we all know, Intel will ramp up clock speeds faster, and thats there the main Barce problem will be, not performance on the same speed IMO.

If you want 20+% clock-for-clock across the board, need to wait for Nehalem. The Pentyn is still the same basic architecture as the Conroe. Still, the SSE4 and Hi-K has a lot to show :) 
April 18, 2007 3:47:57 PM

Quote:
OMFG!

And tomorrow we will know definitively how the plan is working.

Quote:

Now if everyone can put on your rose colored glasses and then we can look into the mirror and we see behind this blue smoke....

Quote:

The Skulltrail name is Intel's way of thanking AMD for the performance advances they have instituted to compete with AMD.
April 18, 2007 3:51:45 PM

Quote:
At least a little victory for us AMD guys, we can upgrade with a K10, you Intel guys need at least a new Mobo, as the article says The processors were plugged into a modified Intel BadAxe2 motherboard, with the modification being necessary to support Penryn.

Just shows I was right to put my money on AMD for making the best upgrade path for the people!

This reflects only the 975 chipset. There is hope for the 965/680/650/RD600. I honestly don't know what the likelihood is, or the potential performance from using an older mobo, but don't make sweeping generalizations. The 975 chipset is from the 8/9 series days, so chillax
April 18, 2007 3:55:25 PM

I still think skulltrail will ultimately fail (which means relegated to people with too much money and don't know what to do with it). I wouldn't expect many people, even enthusiasts, to embrace twice the heat, more ridiculous mobo's, increased cost, and not double performance. Admittedly, Intel could pull off a coup and get more of a performance increase than 4x4 achieved, but I am not holding my breath for it ever being reasonable for a gamer to own.

It will be a nice piece of engineering... but completely useless (unless you do rendering, etc).
April 18, 2007 4:04:32 PM

Quote:
I still think skulltrail will ultimately fail (which means relegated to people with too much money and don't know what to do with it). I wouldn't expect many people, even enthusiasts, to embrace twice the heat, more ridiculous mobo's, increased cost, and not double performance. Admittedly, Intel could pull off a coup and get more of a performance increase than 4x4 achieved, but I am not holding my breath for it ever being reasonable for a gamer to own.

It will be a nice piece of engineering... but completely useless (unless you do rendering, etc).

Well, it's obviously for the highest-end applications and customers. No one is going to argue that, but they do exist.
April 18, 2007 4:05:57 PM

Quote:

I would expect Skulltrail is a workstation machine for rendering and solid modeling. The platform is of no consequence the name is the subject.
April 18, 2007 4:15:31 PM

Quote:

Well, it's obviously for the highest-end applications and customers. No one is going to argue that, but they do exist.

Oh come on... you know AMD tried to sell 4x4 as a gaming platform... :wink:
April 18, 2007 4:17:44 PM

Quote:

Welcome to America and Capitalism, buddy. It's called competition and the smart survive. Intel has to worry about Intel and for the last year, they've had the better product and the better strategy. It's up to AMD to find a way to compete and if they can't, bummer but that's the way it goes. Can't blame the consumers for picking the better product, it's just the way of things.

Beating your competitors is your game as a company, but it's not playing dirty. Unless you live in a Socialist economy...no thanks.
April 18, 2007 4:31:54 PM

Quote:

You forget that it's 5 - 10% range at "minimum" depending on the application. Until there are more significant tests done, we won't know how much faster Penryn is clock for clock.
April 18, 2007 4:32:48 PM

Quote:

The Skulltrail name is Intel's way of thanking AMD for the performance advances they have instituted to compete with AMD.

Baldy, I have long counted upon you as an endless source of inspiration and you've inspired me once again:

Now I gotta get some work done to pay the bills! I'll be back later to put in my 2.1 cents in (inflation.)

P.S. aj, you're right: "Well, it's obviously for the highest-end applications and customers. No one is going to argue that, but they do exist." I iz one o dem. I gonna stay up nites n maik xtra munshine n Im gonna buy it! :lol: 
April 18, 2007 4:47:12 PM

Jack, How do you see the current benchmarks on Anandtech site to you, I know they havnt done other like BF2 or Fear, ETC. What would convince you that Yorkdale and Wolfdale will have a good solid bandwith on the FSB. Be gentle, I am still a noob on this forum, but a long time watcher on CPU topic.
April 18, 2007 5:00:41 PM

Quote:
Jack, How do you see the current benchmarks on Anandtech site to you, I know they havnt done other like BF2 or Fear, ETC. What would convince you that Yorkdale and Wolfdale will have a good solid bandwith on the FSB. Be gentle, I am still a noob on this forum, but a long time watcher on CPU topic.

lol
April 18, 2007 5:01:01 PM

Quote:
Be gentle, I am still a noob on this forum, but a long time watcher on CPU topic.

I had a comment for this, but then I saw you were from New Jersey.
!