Customize which shortcuts show by user?

I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.
--
JimH
4 answers Last reply

    when installing the software set to choose install for this user and not for
    all user option.

    Raj
    http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com

    "JimH" wrote:

    > I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
    > guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
    > customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
    > TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
    > deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.
    > --
    > JimH

    Unfortunately that's not practical when the OS is an upgrade, ie. the SW is
    already installed. When I installed TurboTax for this recent tax season I
    did not see a coice given.

    "Raj" wrote:

    > when installing the software set to choose install for this user and not for
    > all user option.
    >
    > Raj
    > http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com
    >
    > "JimH" wrote:
    >
    > > I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
    > > guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
    > > customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
    > > TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
    > > deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.
    > > --
    > > JimH

    The only solution that I know is, while logged on to an Administrator
    privilege account, right-click on the Start button and select Explore
    All Users. Most of the Start Menu shortcuts will be found in the All
    Users section. You need to drag-and-drop or cut-and-paste all of the
    Start Menu shortcuts that you want to control out of the All User
    section to the individual users Start Menu folders. In other words,
    move the TurboTax shortcut from All Users\Start Menu\Programs to
    Parents\Start Menu\Programs. Note that for the kids you'll need to
    move Zoo Tycoon to one of the kids accounts and then copy it to the
    other kids account.

    Brian

    JimH wrote:
    > I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
    > guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
    > customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
    > TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
    > deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.

    Go to c:\Document and Settings\"username"\Desktop
    Delete the Shortcuts that you don't want to see.
    Any shortcuts in the AllUsers desktop folder will show on
    everyones desktop. Move these to the appropriate users
    desktop folder. Any that you want everyone to see just
    leave.

    gls858

Desktops Microsoft Customization User Accounts Windows XP