  • Customization
  • User Accounts
  • Windows XP
April 21, 2005 3:41:03 PM

I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.
--
JimH

More about : customize shortcuts show user

April 21, 2005 3:52:04 PM

when installing the software set to choose install for this user and not for
all user option.

Raj
http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com

"JimH" wrote:

> I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
> guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
> customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
> TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
> deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.
> --
> JimH
April 21, 2005 4:04:09 PM

Unfortunately that's not practical when the OS is an upgrade, ie. the SW is
already installed. When I installed TurboTax for this recent tax season I
did not see a coice given.

"Raj" wrote:

> when installing the software set to choose install for this user and not for
> all user option.
>
> Raj
> http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com
>
> "JimH" wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
> > guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
> > customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
> > TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
> > deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.
> > --
> > JimH
April 21, 2005 4:34:13 PM

The only solution that I know is, while logged on to an Administrator
privilege account, right-click on the Start button and select Explore
All Users. Most of the Start Menu shortcuts will be found in the All
Users section. You need to drag-and-drop or cut-and-paste all of the
Start Menu shortcuts that you want to control out of the All User
section to the individual users Start Menu folders. In other words,
move the TurboTax shortcut from All Users\Start Menu\Programs to
Parents\Start Menu\Programs. Note that for the kids you'll need to
move Zoo Tycoon to one of the kids accounts and then copy it to the
other kids account.

Brian

"JimH" <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately that's not practical when the OS is an upgrade, ie.
the SW is
> already installed. When I installed TurboTax for this recent tax
season I
> did not see a coice given.
>

> "Raj" wrote:
>
> > when installing the software set to choose install for this user
and not for
> > all user option.
> >
> > Raj
> > http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "JimH" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user
accounts plus the
> > > guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it
possible to
> > > customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids
don't see
> > > TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how?
Each time I try
> > > deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted
from all.
> > > --
> > > JimH
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:34:32 PM

JimH wrote:
> I recently upgraded to XP Home Edition. I've set up 3 user accounts plus the
> guest account, one each for the parent and two kids. Is it possible to
> customize each user's desktop so that, for example, the kids don't see
> TurboTax and the Parents don't see Zoo Tycoon?? If so, how? Each time I try
> deleting a shortcut from the desktop of any user it gets deleted from all.

Go to c:\Document and Settings\"username"\Desktop
Delete the Shortcuts that you don't want to see.
Any shortcuts in the AllUsers desktop folder will show on
everyones desktop. Move these to the appropriate users
desktop folder. Any that you want everyone to see just
leave.

gls858
!