IE 6 error crypt32.dll, crashes before yellow bar displays

cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Weird problem, can't figure it out. IE 6 is crashing on me whenever a site trys to automatically download a file or what not. Normally a yellow bar slides down from the top of the screen warning you of possible danger, but instead ie crashes with an error, referencing crypt32.dll. I've tried all the anti spyware/virus methods I know of, filtered my hijackthis log, but no avail. Any ideas? Thanks!

cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried repairing IE and using the file checker, still same problem. I emptied the cache, reset the web settings, privacy and security settings, still same problem. I uninstalled all the toolbars (msn, google) still same problem. I even disabled all managed add-ons. Same problem. WTF?

Whenever the security warning dialog box would normally come up, crash.

I don't want to upgrade to IE7 because it's not compatible with my universities student access site (retarded I know) and I don't want to install firefox just to circumvent a problem. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
in IE, click on help > about IE
what's your cipher strength?

check services.msc, is the cryptography service set to autmatic and in a started state? if not, can you start it without receiving an errors or it hanging upon start?

do you have the same problem in safe mode with networking?

you really can't re-install ie in xp sp2...only way is to re-install service pack 2...assuming that's what your o/s is

also search for crypt32.dll, make sure it's there, most likely in c:\windows\system32

go to the run box and register by typing this without the quotes "regsvr32 crypt32.dll"

cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the help FatTony! To answer your questions:

1) Cipher strength is 128 bit
2) Cryptography service is started automatically, and is ok
3) This issue also occures in safe mode with networking
3) Crypt32.dll is in windows\system32
4) When I try to register the DLL (regsvr32 crypt32.dll) it gives me the following error

"crypt32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file cannot be registered"

I'm guessing this is the cause? I tried replacing the file with a known good dll with killbox, but that didn't seem to work either. Thanks for your continued help.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
no don't worry about that registration message, it's common among most DLLs, it's not the cause

i don't know, weird done....can you create a new user profile and see if you have the same issue