Random Slow boot times for XP

Alex843

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hello.

Well for the past 3 or 4 months i have been experiencing random slow boot times for my machine. Sometimes I will turn my computer on and be at my desktop fully loaded within 30 seconds. Other times it can take more then a half hour. This only has to do with the windows xp loading screen itself. (i've spent many an hour watching that stupid blue bar moving across the screen, and sometimes it just stops completely for long periods of time) My bios posts quickly and once i get out of the loading screen I'm usually done with in 5-10 seconds.

I've tried reformatting several times, rewriting the boot sector, and mbr. I 've tried disabling all unused network controllers. I've tried disabling precashing of programs in registry. I have also used the program bootvis, which is supposed to help speed up boot times, and it usually helps a lot for about a day, and then it would be back to normal. Defraging the hard drive has no affect either, and i have checked the drive for errors and have come up with nothing.

My guess is it is probably the hard drive, even though it passes ever disk scan i can throw at it. One time I used my other hard drive as a temporary boot device and I seemed to have more luck with it.

I'm asking if some one else has any other ideas as to what i can do to possible speed up the process.

My specs are
windows xp professional sp 2(fully up to date as of today)
Maxtor 10 250 GB (boot)
Maxtor 10 300 GB
3800+ x2 oc'ed to 2.570 ghz
2gb DDR 500 Mushkin ram
DFI SLI-DR UT motherboard
7800 gt