Monitor the loads on computer

Tey

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2005
Is there a program out there that will monitor the loads on video card, RAM, hard drive, CPU, etc? I just want to know the limiting factor in the performance of my computer so I can upgrade the right component. Thanks.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
for ram hard drive and cpu: perfmon.exe or perfmon.msc built into the box, but it's sorta advanced, task manager was my other option lol

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Is there a program out there that will monitor the loads on video card, RAM, hard drive, CPU, etc? I just want to know the limiting factor in the performance of my computer so I can upgrade the right component. Thanks.
There are plenty of ways to monitor utilization of your computer's resources. Perfmon comes with Windows and if you spend about thirty minutes fishing around, you'll see the remarkable things you can accomplish with it.

The problem however, is that knowing the utilization of these components is not likely to be directly useful in determining what component(s) need to be upgraded. There are some things that are relatively obvious like memory over-commitment but the rest requires much interpretation.

And consider this. There will always be one or more limiting factors. Get rid of one, and another will appear. It's all relative. And there are things that Performance Monitor cannot and will not tell you, like if your PCI bus is overloaded.

-Brad