marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I currently have a build of Windows XP Pro with SP2 on my sisters PC which has problems installing USB Printers - Apprently a Usbprint.inf file or Usbstore.inf file has been corrupted. So I wanted to see if there was a way to "properly" repair these files rather than copy second hand versions to replace these and probably add more to the mess. However my sister in the meantime has been using this PC for her university work and she doesn't want to lose any data or programs that have been installed on there, and to be honest neither do I as it is a whole 4 days worth of installing!!

If I boot up the PC with the CD, select the installation process in the blue screen and choose to Repair the partition with the current installation of Windows:

What exactly will happen?

Do I loose everything including personal files and settings and everything gets reverted back to what it was before (i.e. are the background and screensaver are reset to default and all my personal files and shortcuts on the desktop and in My Documents are lost).

Will I need to reinstall my drivers for graphics and sound cards after the repair has completed (ATi Radeon 9600 PRO and Via Vnyl Audio AC97 Chipset respectively)

Will I need to reinstall any programs (i.e. Nero Burning ROM, Media Player 10, Quicktime, RealPlayer, Microsoft Office 2003 Pro)

Will I need to reconfigure any settings (i.e. the network port settings so my sister can access the internet at her halls of residence through their usual proxy servers and crap, unlike the home connection which is straight plug and play)

I am using a copy of Windows XP Professional prior to SP1 for the repair as I cannot get hold of one with SP1 or SP2. I am aware of the 127GB limitation that plagues this version but the Hard disk is 80GB so this is no issue. Will I need to reinstall SP2 after the repair has been completed, and will this have any serious repurcussions on my hardware or software?

Are there any steps that I can take to "prepare" for the repair. (i.e. backup any network settings or important files which are lost after the repair in such a way that I can with one click restore them afterwards). I don't want to end up with a situation of "cure is worse than the disease"

Thanks for your help

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Hi,

I would do the following:

- Create a System Restore Point
- Re-apply XP SP2 (donwload it and simply run the EXE)

If the above doesn't work then try the 'System File Checker' click me !

Both of these methods are very safe and do not overwrite your XP installation but rather recopy various system files.

Good luck !

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I have a CD of SP2 which I order free from Microsoft - I have installed that in the past on my system build as a matter of routine. Rather than download the file again can I do the following:

Create a System Restore Point
Run the SP2 CD and following the installation from that.

My previous questions remain unanswered - can anyone shed some light on what exactly happens during the repair.

G

I have a CD of SP2 which I order free from Microsoft - I have installed that in the past on my system build as a matter of routine. Rather than download the file again can I do the following:

Create a System Restore Point
Run the SP2 CD and following the installation from that.

My previous questions remain unanswered - can anyone shed some light on what exactly happens during the repair.

All that will do is reinstall SP2. A Repair installation, replaces on the Windows files but saves the registry.

Grumpy

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Right.......OK what will I lose in terms of files and settings by doing a Repair of Windows.

Sorry but I haven't done a repair of Windows XP PRO before so I'm a bit of a noob in this area - this isn't my PC that I am dealing with - its my sisters so its important that I don't lose anything important especially any crucial settings.

G

You shouldn't loose anything but there are no guaratees.

Grumpy

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
That is exactly what the original question was asking! Refer to the original post for my exact question. I understand it is a little long winded but I just want to be exactly sure of what I am about to embark on by doing a repair of Windows.

What exactly do I backup and what are the most common things that I will lose by doing a repair?? How do I backup my internet settings so I can restore them after the repair. My sister's internet has been set up to work with the campus internet - which required me to configure a proxy server and other settings like ports to use. This took about half an hour to get working and I had to go all the way up to hull to get it working for her.

Surely the idea of a repair is that its meant to fix the pissing OS not cause more problems with programs already there!!! Thats a case of the cure being the worse than the disease!!

G

First, you have to remember we are dealing with Windows which means anything can happen. Use Norton Ghost to make an exact duplicate of the hard drive to another drive and you won't loose anything.

Grumpy

A repair installation does exactly that... it repairs. (Maybe... lol). It doesn't format, it doesn't delete, it doesn't touch your installed programs and it doesn't delete your personal files. However, bad things can and do happen and sometimes doing a repair install will somehow go wrong and you won't be able to do anything but a clean install. This is why you should back up any personal files you want to keep (Pics, music, videos, email, address book, etc.) and anything else you want to save but don't have a copy of or don't want to download again.

Most of the time, a repair install will go smoothly and get you back up and running again... it's just those sometimes you gotta watch out for.