Thoughts on SebNam stuttering sound

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2004 1:22:34 PM

As I'm playing around with these new mods (WGL, Y2K3, and FDF), and trying
to delete those pesky exe files on my desktop, I thought I'd look at
something that's been bugging me for a while: Sound in the SebNam pack.

I've tried using soundpacks with sebnam, but what I've found is that if the
soundpack uses it's own config, then you won't change some of the main
sounds in sebnam (like the M16 or the AK47). The sebnam config directs the
sounds for those to your old original Sound.pbo, bypassing the new config
(uses in the FDF mod, or the ECP/DRS combo).

If you use a soundpack that doesn't have it's own config (like Battlefield
Insane, or Sound Wright), you'll change all the sounds in SebNam with no
problems--

--but--

I can't find a decent sound for full auto on the AK47 and the M16. (The
Battlefield Insance sound for full auto XMS or M4 is horrible, and in
general, BI is one of my favorite soundpacks.)

I've gone into SebNam and changed the config to point to a better sound (for
example, I may point the full auto M16 sound to the one used in the FDF mod
for a full auto XMS or M4 weapon), but when I play my Vietnam missions, the
sound of the M16 doesn't play well.

I get a stuttering effect. You don't hear the full sound. It's very
choppy.

I've looked at the configs in SebNam, and I changed the line
"SoundContinuous=False", thinking that I could use a sound like
"M16single.wss" as the full auto sound (I saw that's the way it's done in
the sound pbo's in FDF and the like), but, alas, it doesn't sound so good in
SebNam.

Ironicaly, using that same method makes a regular 1985 era XMS or M4 sound
fine--it's just those friggin' SebNam full auto M16's that do not sound
well, developing stutters, that are a problem.

Any advice on correcting this and getting better SebNam full auto M16 and
AK47 sounds?
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:04:43 PM

"Communique" <Communique@NOSPAMev1.net> wrote in message
> As I'm playing around with these new mods (WGL, Y2K3, and FDF), and
> trying
> to delete those pesky exe files on my desktop, I thought I'd look at
> something that's been bugging me for a while: Sound in the SebNam
> pack.
>
> I've tried using soundpacks with sebnam, but what I've found is that
> if the
> soundpack uses it's own config, then you won't change some of the
> main
> sounds in sebnam (like the M16 or the AK47). The sebnam config
> directs the
> sounds for those to your old original Sound.pbo, bypassing the new
> config
> (uses in the FDF mod, or the ECP/DRS combo).
>
> If you use a soundpack that doesn't have it's own config (like
> Battlefield
> Insane, or Sound Wright), you'll change all the sounds in SebNam
> with no
> problems--
>
> --but--
>
> I can't find a decent sound for full auto on the AK47 and the M16.
> (The
> Battlefield Insance sound for full auto XMS or M4 is horrible, and
> in
> general, BI is one of my favorite soundpacks.)
>
> I've gone into SebNam and changed the config to point to a better
> sound (for
> example, I may point the full auto M16 sound to the one used in the
> FDF mod
> for a full auto XMS or M4 weapon), but when I play my Vietnam
> missions, the
> sound of the M16 doesn't play well.
>
> I get a stuttering effect. You don't hear the full sound. It's
> very
> choppy.
>
> I've looked at the configs in SebNam, and I changed the line
> "SoundContinuous=False", thinking that I could use a sound like
> "M16single.wss" as the full auto sound (I saw that's the way it's
> done in
> the sound pbo's in FDF and the like), but, alas, it doesn't sound so
> good in
> SebNam.
>
> Ironicaly, using that same method makes a regular 1985 era XMS or M4
> sound
> fine--it's just those friggin' SebNam full auto M16's that do not
> sound
> well, developing stutters, that are a problem.
>
> Any advice on correcting this and getting better SebNam full auto
> M16 and
> AK47 sounds?

Can't help you really, other than to say you should never use full
auto at night: Charlie can tell which tracer is which and will ping
you in the dark. Night fight means using the old jab and move combo...
single shot only.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:04:44 PM

> Can't help you really, other than to say you should never use full
> auto at night: Charlie can tell which tracer is which and will ping
> you in the dark. Night fight means using the old jab and move combo...
> single shot only.

I pretty much never use full auto, or even burst fire, ever--just every once
in a deep blue moon for a single pull of the trigger at one target. Then,
it's back to single shot. I use single shot about 99.9999% of the time when
I'm playing.

But, those doggone SebNam guys in my squad--they use full auto for
EVERYTHING. They fire when they're wading across a river. They fire when
they're getting up from the prone position. They fire when they walk and
run. And, it's all on full auto.

There's not much I can do about those SebNam guys using full auto. They
seem to prefer it.
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 2:19:25 AM

>> Can't help you really, other than to say you should never use full
>> auto at night: Charlie can tell which tracer is which and will ping
>> you in the dark. Night fight means using the old jab and move
>> combo...
>> single shot only.
>
> I pretty much never use full auto, or even burst fire, ever--just
> every once
> in a deep blue moon for a single pull of the trigger at one target.
> Then,
> it's back to single shot. I use single shot about 99.9999% of the
> time when
> I'm playing.
>
> But, those doggone SebNam guys in my squad--they use full auto for
> EVERYTHING. They fire when they're wading across a river. They
> fire when
> they're getting up from the prone position. They fire when they
> walk and
> run. And, it's all on full auto.
>
> There's not much I can do about those SebNam guys using full auto.
> They
> seem to prefer it.

Hmm, I see your point.
!