How do I get Comcast's attention?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 13, 2004 11:24:38 AM

It has been almost two months now, and my intermittant pixellation on HD
channels continues. There have been dozens of calls and seven tech
visits to my house. Ten days ago a special technician reported that
they've discovered "high error counts" in their system affecting 2
adjoining communities (Detroit suburbs), which he was going to report to
"engineering". Thursday night HD was unwatchable and so was Friday.

Comcast management isolates itself so well (I sure can understand why!)
that I can't figure out how to escallate the problem to someone who will
take it seriously and fix it (or declare that Comcast is unable to
deliver acceptable HD broadcasts). I sure am frustrated.

Anybody have any ideas of how I can get the attention of somebody who
matters?

Rich
in Northville

More about : comcast attention

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 11:24:39 AM

In article <7qidnf3A5_6WlgvcRVn-1w@comcast.com> Rich <nospam@saddam.net>
writes:

>It has been almost two months now, and my intermittant pixellation on HD
>channels continues. There have been dozens of calls and seven tech
>visits to my house. Ten days ago a special technician reported that
>they've discovered "high error counts" in their system affecting 2
>adjoining communities (Detroit suburbs), which he was going to report to
>"engineering". Thursday night HD was unwatchable and so was Friday.

>Comcast management isolates itself so well (I sure can understand why!)
>that I can't figure out how to escallate the problem to someone who will
>take it seriously and fix it (or declare that Comcast is unable to
>deliver acceptable HD broadcasts). I sure am frustrated.

>Anybody have any ideas of how I can get the attention of somebody who
>matters?

1. Stay off the phone (quit calling).
2. Put the full details of your complaint(s) in writing. Send it via
Certified Mail to their corporate office, "Attn: Engineering" - Send a
copy (also Certified Mail) to their local office, "Attn: General Manager".
Finally send a 3rd copy (regular mail) to the Mayor or City Manager's
office of your town/community. CATV companies *ALL* pay a local franchise
fee, so making your community fathers aware of the problem can't hurt.

Certified Mail (on the letters to Comcast) is important because more than
anything, it gets your letter noticed; someone has to sign for it, plus
you get proof of delivery (return receipt).

In addition to complaining about the poor grade of service, I would also
demand a full refund of all charges accrued to date (starting from the
date of first installation of the enhanced services). Explain that you've
had multiple visits by service personnel to no avail.

Finally, check in with your local TV station(s) - do they have a consumer
watchdog who periodically gets involved in helping someone get
satisfaction when all other approaches have been exhausted?

Launch your attack from multiple fronts, but stay off the phone. Nothing
gets accomplished on the phone and besides, no one wants to listen to the
emotional harangues of a crackpot.
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 11:33:38 AM

Make a Phone Call to their Corporate Headquarters, followed up with snail
mail. Include as much documentation as possible regarding the attempts to
correct this problem. Also include make and model of all Comcast supplied
equipment and your sets it is connected to. They have been having a bit of a
problem with the Motorola Supplied CATV HD Boxes!! <
"Rich" <nospam@saddam.net> wrote in message
> It has been almost two months now, and my intermittant pixellation on HD
> channels continues. There have been dozens of calls and seven tech visits
> to my house. Ten days ago a special technician reported that they've
> discovered "high error counts" in their system affecting 2 adjoining
> communities (Detroit suburbs), which he was going to report to
> "engineering". Thursday night HD was unwatchable and so was Friday.
>
> Comcast management isolates itself so well (I sure can understand why!)
> that I can't figure out how to escallate the problem to someone who will
> take it seriously and fix it (or declare that Comcast is unable to deliver
> acceptable HD broadcasts). I sure am frustrated.
>
> Anybody have any ideas of how I can get the attention of somebody who
> matters?
>
> Rich
> in Northville

Related resources
November 14, 2004 10:07:44 AM

> Anybody have any ideas of how I can get the attention of somebody who
> matters?

Cancel your service, switch to satellite, and never go back. Eventually,
someone is bound to notice their miserable service is directly affecting
customer numbers and revenue.

Plus, you'll get their monthly onslaught on condescending mailers that let
you acknowledge your horrible mistake of switching to satellite!

"Rich" <nospam@saddam.net> wrote in message
> It has been almost two months now, and my intermittant pixellation on HD
> channels continues. There have been dozens of calls and seven tech visits
> to my house. Ten days ago a special technician reported that they've
> discovered "high error counts" in their system affecting 2 adjoining
> communities (Detroit suburbs), which he was going to report to
> "engineering". Thursday night HD was unwatchable and so was Friday.
>
> Comcast management isolates itself so well (I sure can understand why!)
> that I can't figure out how to escallate the problem to someone who will
> take it seriously and fix it (or declare that Comcast is unable to deliver
> acceptable HD broadcasts). I sure am frustrated.
>
> Anybody have any ideas of how I can get the attention of somebody who
> matters?
>
> Rich
> in Northville

November 14, 2004 8:33:20 PM

Fred wrote:
>>Anybody have any ideas of how I can get the attention of somebody who
>>matters?
>

> Cancel your service, switch to satellite, and never go back. Eventually,
> someone is bound to notice their miserable service is directly affecting
> customer numbers and revenue.
>
> Plus, you'll get their monthly onslaught on condescending mailers that let
> you acknowledge your horrible mistake of switching to satellite!

But Fred!
Then I would have interference with every rainstorm, or windstorm... and
have go get up on the roof to brush the snow off the dish....

or, at least, that's what somebody else recently posted... I don't
know... I've never had satellite TV.

Rich
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:50:39 AM

Rich said

> Fred wrote:
>>>Anybody have any ideas of how I can get the attention of somebody who
>>>matters?
>>
>> Cancel your service, switch to satellite, and never go back.
>
> But Fred!
> Then I would have interference with every rainstorm, or windstorm...
> and have go get up on the roof to brush the snow off the dish....
>
> or, at least, that's what somebody else recently posted... I don't
> know... I've never had satellite TV.

These both happen to me occasionally; however, it's rare enough to be a
non-issue (Midwest USA). I'd not consider it a deal breaker. YMMV.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:06:56 PM

>Then I would have interference with every rainstorm, or windstorm... and
>have go get up on the roof to brush the snow off the dish....
=-----

I had Dish for 1.5 years... back to cable now (for HDTV).

I had quite a few storm outages. Here in suburban Chicago, the dish
points southwest and the spring storms come from the southwest.

And, I had occasions where heavy snow totally covered the dish and I
had no reception for 8 hours until the Sun melted it off (enough for
the mass to slide off).
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:57:04 PM

> But Fred!
> Then I would have interference with every rainstorm, or windstorm... and
> have go get up on the roof to brush the snow off the dish....
>
> or, at least, that's what somebody else recently posted... I don't
> know... I've never had satellite TV.
>
> Rich

I've probably had rain fade twice in 4 years, and it lasted about 5 minutes
each time.
Can't say much about snow, don't get much here. Its a non-issue for me.

Jim