Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing a hard disk

Last response: in Storage
April 18, 2007 4:34:39 PM

Hello,

First of all: This is a mixed question so it might fit in better in another category. However, my biggest concern is the hard disk - therefore, I placed the topic in the hard disks forum.

I am building myself a new computer. I am going to use it for gaming, surfing and so on. So far it is going to consist of the following:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 BOXED
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu
"CPU Cooler Transformer": Zalman ZM CS1
Motherboard: MSI P965 Platinum
Graphics card: ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP
PSU: Corsair HX520W
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS2 2 x 1 GB
Cabinet: Antec Performance One P180-EU
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 226BW OR NEC MultiSync 20WGX2Pro

I am having a problem choosing a hard disk. I would prefer to have a very quick disk for Windows Vista and games and then another big, not so quick one for storing music, movies etc.
For the quick one, I was looking at the Raptor WD740ADFD but I have heard that it generates a lot of heat and that it is very noisy. As I want the computer to be very quiet, it is of course a problem. Therefore, I would like to know whether you guys think it actually does make a noise or not. Furthermore, I would like your other recommendations for a quick disk.
Another drive that I have been recommended is the Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ but as far as I can see on the comparison tables here at Toms Hardware, it does not perform as well as the Raptor.

Please help me in choosing - whould you prefer any of the above-mentioned or would you choose something else?

Comments on the other hardware components are received greatfully as well. :D 

More about : choosing hard disk

April 18, 2007 5:10:06 PM

Are WD Raptors more audible than a 7200 rpm HDD? Sure they are. Are WD Raptors excessively noisy? I don't think so, but then one's tolerance for noise is highly subjective.

Windows Vista Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (no OC)
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2X1GB DDR2-800
Western Digital 150GB Raptor x2
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T
Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR
Silverstone Temjin TJ07 with window
Pioneer DVR-212D DVD/CD Writer
APC Back-UPS XS 1000
Various trick lighting & mods
April 18, 2007 5:27:07 PM

I have that exact HDD, an NO, it is not excessively noisy, it is audible, but barely. It makes some...."deep clicks" when it operates. Don't know how to explain the sound better, well, it sounds like a HDD. And it's not very hot, mine never gets above a surface temp on the spindle of about 90, but my case has a 120mm fan blowing on it. My system is liquid cooled, on a noisier air cooled system it is possible you would not even hear it. If you're really worried, get a 5 1/4" enclosure to provide addition sound deadening and heat dissipation.
Related resources
April 18, 2007 5:28:35 PM

If you're going to OC, get something better than that Zalman. Thermalright Ultra 120 or Tuniq Tower
April 18, 2007 5:47:54 PM

Hm okay, I think I will go for a Raptor, then.

Btw. I am not going to OC but the Thermalright Ultra 120 looks interesting - but doesn't it require very much space in the cabinet?
April 18, 2007 6:05:05 PM

It's large, yes, but with a P180 you should have plenty of room. Any air cooler requires a lot of surface area to work well, unfortunately this means they're big hefty beasts. If you're not going to overclock, that Zalman should be plenty.
April 19, 2007 2:06:10 PM

Okay, thanks.

Regarding the Raptor: I am going to play Flight Simulator X and I will probably need some 10 GB of data being loaded - I guess the Raptor is still the best choice for such puposes?
April 19, 2007 2:22:43 PM

Definately, though you may want to consider a 150GB option, the prices have dropped quite far, I've seen 150's for as low as 169.
!