Re patching process & backups

nostromo

Is there any way to take a backup of the current version of CoH that one has
installed? There's probably a couple hundred megs of patches applied to date
& it would be nice not to have to go through the download process again if,
say, one were to have to reinstall from scratch.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:11:54 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
wrote:

>Is there any way to take a backup of the current version of CoH that one has
>installed? There's probably a couple hundred megs of patches applied to date
>& it would be nice not to have to go through the download process again if,
>say, one were to have to reinstall from scratch.

Just back up the directory. I reformatted my PC on Monday, and
reinstalling CoH was a matter of putting the directory back and then
making a shortcut on my desktop. It's a well-behaved program that
doesn't rely on the registry at all. Just remember that the shortcut
should point to CohUpdater.exe, not CityOfHeroes.exe

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just back up the directory. I reformatted my PC on Monday, and
> reinstalling CoH was a matter of putting the directory back and then
> making a shortcut on my desktop. It's a well-behaved program that
> doesn't rely on the registry at all.

Nice. There's no reason at all for a game to invade every corner of the
system (as some do). I've done this with Half-Life a couple of times - you
have to do an initial install on a clean system, but then you can just copy
the old directory structure over it and it works fine. Nice to know this
works with CoH too.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

nostromo

Thus spake Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>, Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:41:48
+1100, Anno Domini:

>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:11:54 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
>wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to take a backup of the current version of CoH that one has
>>installed? There's probably a couple hundred megs of patches applied to date
>>& it would be nice not to have to go through the download process again if,
>>say, one were to have to reinstall from scratch.
>
>Just back up the directory. I reformatted my PC on Monday, and
>reinstalling CoH was a matter of putting the directory back and then
>making a shortcut on my desktop. It's a well-behaved program that
>doesn't rely on the registry at all. Just remember that the shortcut
>should point to CohUpdater.exe, not CityOfHeroes.exe

Cool, tx - good to know :)

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:11:54 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
>wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to take a backup of the current version of CoH that one has
>>installed? There's probably a couple hundred megs of patches applied to date
>>& it would be nice not to have to go through the download process again if,
>>say, one were to have to reinstall from scratch.
>
>Just back up the directory. I reformatted my PC on Monday, and
>reinstalling CoH was a matter of putting the directory back and then
>making a shortcut on my desktop. It's a well-behaved program that
>doesn't rely on the registry at all. Just remember that the shortcut
>should point to CohUpdater.exe, not CityOfHeroes.exe

That's not strictly true - it saves all your graphic options in the
registry.

Once you change anything though it _should_ save everything to the
registry again.

Check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\cryptic\coh\

I have 30 keys in that location.

Xocyll

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
> That's not strictly true - it saves all your graphic options in the
> registry.
>
> Once you change anything though it _should_ save everything to the
> registry again.
>
> Check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\cryptic\coh\
>
> I have 30 keys in that location.

Yeah, you'd lose your settings, but the game will start up and you can redo
your settings so it's not too bad. Many other games, Planetside in
particular, will fail miserably if you try this. I made the mistake of
moving planetside to a new (larger) hard drive, on startup it couldn't even
skin the startup program properly cause it couldn't find the directory it
was run from. On top of that, it screwed up the registry entries trying to
fix itself, so moving it back didn't work either, and eventual required a
delete, reinstall from 3 CD's, and the patch proces. City of Heroes I've run
from external disk fine moving from machine to machine, and some of your
settings are serverside so you don't even lose all of those. Much better
than the competition* :)

-Tundra King

*note: I also play 3 of Sony's MMO's, so please no poo-flinging about being
a COH fanboy, just an honest unbiased comparison :)