windows media player 10 dvd decoder????

April 21, 2005 4:48:01 PM

Hello,

I was recently asked to update my windows media player, so, I did. Now I
have a newer version of Windows media player but is does not play my dvd's.
It comes with a message saying
"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder
is not installed on your computer."
Can anyone shed some light on this and advise how i can get this to work???

Many Thanks
Jacob
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 10:09:51 PM

Easy. Reinstall the DVD player you had when you used the previous version of
WMP.

WMP does not come with the capability to play DVDs. It never has. It gets
the codec from any other DVD player you install, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD.
Install any one of those and WMP will be able to play DVDs.

Courtney

"Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was recently asked to update my windows media player, so, I did. Now I
> have a newer version of Windows media player but is does not play my
> dvd's.
> It comes with a message saying
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder
> is not installed on your computer."
> Can anyone shed some light on this and advise how i can get this to
> work???
>
> Many Thanks
> Jacob

x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
April 22, 2005 5:19:02 PM

Thanks for the advice, i did have power dvd on my pc but deleted it as i
thought it was taking up space, i have reinstalled it and it working fine.
Thanks for your comments.
Jacob

!